Jimbo

Line over...

The subject of line over has become pretty popular in the last few days. Suppose you have a reserve with a line over but no knife. What do you do? Do you attempt to unstow the toggles and fly it to the ground, with the risk of the canopy collapsing? Do you attempt to steer by rear risers only? Do you just ride it in and not fuck with it so that the line over doesn't become worse and collapse the canopy? What do you do?

There's not going to be any one set way to deal with a situation like you describe.. There will be variables, such as what type of line it is and where it is.. If you have a steering line over the 2nd cell in from the side, chances are it will be spinning quite a bit......and releasing the brakes and pumping the toggles may just cause the line to slide off and clear the line over.. Stalling the canopy may do the same thing with any type of line over.. If I had a line straight over the center cell and allowed the canopy to fly somewhat normally(it happened to Lisa - Mouth - on a main), I would leave it as is, minimal turns necessary with rear risers(very slowly), and no flare..
I think the best solution for having a line over on your reserve and not having a hook knife(if it would actually do you any good) is to CARRY A HOOK KNIFE, preferably two..
Mike

Hi,
a really good working thing to avoid line-overs is learning the wolmari-pack because stuffing the tail under your canopy may get the lines in front of it - which may cause a line-over.
To learn more about wolmari-pack and to see pictures of how to do it go to wolmaris website or talk to someone at your dz who is familiar with packing this way.
Blues Marcus

a really good working thing to avoid line-overs is learning the wolmari-pack

We're talking about reserves here Marcus, I don't think that the manufacturers will allow you to Wolmari pack.
And I have knife - it was just sort of a 'what if' question, and you never know - the knife could get knocked off somehow in the plane, stolen on the ground, etc... It's conceivable that anyone could find themselves in a position where they are without their knife. That's why I asked the question.

The last time I suffered a line-over on my Sabre, I pulled the toggles down into a deep stall, then let them quickly. The lines went slack and the offending line slid off the top skin.
This trick also used to work well with tension knots on Strong 425 canopies with Dacron lines.

Don't you risk a line burn on your canopy by pumping the brakes to get the line over down?

Sure...but I would much rather line burn my main and be able to land it and have it fixed than chop it, chance a mal on the reserve(rare, but it happens), or even lose the main because it lands in some neighborhood and somebody has it hung up on their living room wall before you land under your reserve..
Mike

>Suppose you have a reserve with a line over but no knife. What do you do?
Use whatever method you can to get it flying relatively straight (risers, toggles, whatever) and aim for the softest, cheapest thing on the DZ. A friend of mine had a lineover on a tandem reserve and successfully controlled it with toggle and riser (student helped) and he managed to hit the biggest mud puddle on the DZ. Both TM and student were covered with mud but basically OK.
This is another reason that larger reserves can be a good idea. You have a much better chance of survival under a barely controllable Raven I than under a PD113.
-bill von

>a really good working thing to avoid line-overs is learning the wolmari-pack . . .
A few points:
1. When I pack reserves or BASE rigs I use a modified PRO-pack that does not involve wrapping a significant amount of the tail around anything. In addition, I keep enough control of the lines so that they don't move very far from the center. The outer D's seem to be the ones that like to wander the most, although I worry more about the brake lines. At the end of the pack job (before it starts getting folded for the freebag/BASE container) the lines are still within a few inches of the center of the pack job.
2. When packing my main, the final step before I put it down is to collect all the C/D/brake lines and keep them in a bunch in my hand. I maintain my grip on them through the topskin (now wrapped around the pack job) as I lay it down. As soon as it's down, I get my knee on the slider/line area, and that area stays under control pretty well. When I fold the excess around to the back of the pack job, I am manipulating just fabric rather than lines, and therefore reduce the odds of taking a line with the excess fabric.
-bill von

I was told some time ago by rigger Wayne at Eloy, that a line over can sometimes be cleared by pulling down on the rear risers vigorously without releasing the brakes.
I wish I'd known this three years ago when I had a line over on a Spectre 170 at Eloy.
Cut away--5 sec delay--Raven Dash M-181 reserve.
Dave Brownell