patworks

Pilot chute removed"

REMOVAL OF PILOT CHUTE. -- “When this is done, the parachute must be plainly marked “for intentional jumping only."

"Warning! For sport parachuting use only, Pilot chute removed" -- Two handed reserve deployment: Hold the flaps closed with one hand, and pull the rip cord with the other. Next, pitch the handle and use both hands to grab the reserve fling it out and dream it opens.

Sport Chest pack reserves carried the notice, "Pilot Chute Removed for Sport Parachuting." --- 1963-1966(?)

With less than 40 reserve rides, a Texan, I lernt that 28' flat circular c-9 with 24' ripstop chest pack reserve "Look-pull-punch, throw" worked as well as a dirty rabbits foot charm. Like seldom-hardly. Recall the little name tag on the reserve "Pilot Chute Removed for Sport Parachuting." Seemed to me, that with a line-over main canopy, the reserve won't deploy unless your vertical speed is way exciting. High heart-rate + Adrenalin did not assist openings (Rats!).

I have one of those reserve deployments!

On my eleventh jump, I had what can be only described as a picture-perfect Mae West.

I looked up, and there were two perfect boobs. Tossed away my ripcord ($5 deposit in the lake)

I put my left hand under the container (not sure why, because I don't remember being told to do this), pulled the reserve ripcord and tossed that puppy away ($5 deposit in the lake, again).

Reached in and pulled the reserve out, and I threw it the direction of the spin (to the left in this case). Waft, waft, flop, billow, billow, pouf!

I had a good canopy above me! :) Neither of which is steerable. I am practically laying on my back because of the front mounted reserve, and think to myself this is going to hurt when I land.

I look down and I'm still over water (Lake Elsinore at almost it's largest)! It would not be an exaggeration to say by this time, I'm starting to freak (probably because there is nothing I can do, at this time, to change a darn thing). The shore is slowly getting closer, but I don't have enough experience to even begin to guess if I will get to it before the altitude runs out.

I landed in the mud/water right at the edge. 20/20 hindsight says that was probably the best place to land, but I'm completely covered in mud, my gear is, too! I've lost both my ripcords. But, Hey! They sent a truck to pick me up! Nobody in the truck ventured into the mud at the edge of the lake to help me, thank you very muck much.

I came back to manifest to give them their gear back and got chewed out for losing both ripcords (which was part of the EPs), and then landing in the mud and gooing up their gear (nevermind the fact that I was a student and did not spot that, nor in any way was responsible for where I ended up).

The silver lining in this was It taught me to look around for silver. In the next couple years, I found probably a couple dozen ripcords on the DZ. I turned in each and every one for that $5 deposit. B|

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9