MakeItHappen

FYI: BSR from 1981

61 people went in that year in the US alone

I don't remember it being quite that many, but close. I believe it was also a high mark -- after that they started declining, as old (conventional, capewell, etc) gear started to go away, and as training improved with the introduction of AFF.

Even though static line was still the majority of jumps, the more intensive training required for AFF kind of rubbed off on a lot of the SL classes.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I once typed out the Canadian 1958 BSR's that I found.

https://sites.google.com/site/chapmansrigging/home/1958-bsr-s

One wasn't permitted to jump because of a dare or bet. We also had the bat-wing ban. And anyone over the ripe old age of 36 had to be specially considered before being allowed to learn to jump. And you couldn't do a demo on your first jump.

Is that "batwing" ban still in the BSR's today?

No reference to batwings anymore in the current BSR's that I can find:
Current BSR's: http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section2/tabid/164/Default.aspx

And the only difference between that old definition of a bat wing and the new wingsuits, is the use of rigid materials, like battens in a sailboat sail, to stiffen the wing. So, since that ban is no longer in place, someone could build an old-fashioned bat-wing suit just like in "Gypsy Moths", and go for it, without being in violation of the Basic Safety Regulations.

Attached:
1) Bat-wing ban from 1981 BSR's
2) "Gypsy Moths" batwing

Is that "batwing" ban still in the BSR's today?

No reference to batwings anymore in the current BSR's that I can find:
Current BSR's: http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section2/tabid/164/Default.aspx

And the only difference between that old definition of a bat wing and the new wingsuits, is the use of rigid materials, like battens in a sailboat sail, to stiffen the wing. So, since that ban is no longer in place, someone could build an old-fashioned bat-wing suit just like in "Gypsy Moths", and go for it, without being in violation of the Basic Safety Regulations.

Attached:
1) Bat-wing ban from 1981 BSR's
2) "Gypsy Moths" batwing

They didn't do a bat-wing jump in the "Gypsy Moths". They did the CAPE JUMP. So I guess it was OK.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?