anj4de

Jumbo PC just went to a lucky bidder...

I bet it's one of the very last PCs produced at Pioneer.

Pioneer were still picturing and listing the MC-4 (Military Para-Commander) on their website in 2009, so they were available for a lot longer than we might imagine. Though you probably had to be a government to buy any.

Wonder how much it cost in 84 brand new.?

In 1975 the attached from the PI catalogue shows a Jumbo as $95 more, at $650, than the price for a Mk1. Nowadays a Mk1 doesn't fetch much, but that Jumbo certainly did and quite rightly as its a rarity and that one was in great condition.

Hi

That brochure quotes the material as 1.5oz zero porosity nylon...is that the same ZP we now a days know on ram airs? I just wonder...a real ZP Commander would obviously last a lot longer that one made from, lets say T-10 nylon and could carry more weight...and I might get away with a Mk1 and a good PLF...I am good at PLFs, btw...;) I just got back from the riggers shop at the AB school, dropped off a T-10R MIRPS for its 180day check...and when that tiny chute was on the table...24ft as well...I got serious doubts that anybody could survive a jump with it. Obviously a completely different design and flimsy material but size wise the same.

cheers
Uwe
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.

-Leonardo da Vinci

That was a typo in my post, it should have said, I guess my friend Didn't but it... meaning due to cost.

Kurt has been after me to sell him one of mine for a couple years now and when I saw that one I sent him a link, he told me he thought it would sell for a lot... I took that to mean he wasn't going spend a lot to get that... So I don't if he won or not, I didn't see the buyer info.

If he did buy it, maybe he'll let me jump it... I sure as hell hope a skydiver got it and not some moron who is going to parasail it.

And what I meant to say was exactly what I said. Kurt was the winning bidder on that auction :)

Its been a while since I have logged into dz.com and to find what this Jumbo PC went for blew my mind. I was given a complete system and a few other things with a Jumbo PC a little over a year ago. I was even given the guys logbook and original bill of sale for the Jumbo. It only has a couple dozen jumps on it. I am happy to see that my collection of gear is gaining value. Not that it will ever be sold as long as I am alive.