sundevil777

1st jump freefall training near Cleveland 15 years ago?

I met a guy that says about 15 years ago he did a first jump near Cleveland that had him doing real freefall on his first jump, with instructors following, but not holding on like normal AFF. I think he was lying, but wanted to see if there was anyone that knew of a bandit DZ that might have been doing this.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I met a guy that says about 15 years ago he did a first jump near Cleveland that had him doing real freefall on his first jump, with instructors following, but not holding on like normal AFF. I think he was lying, but wanted to see if there was anyone that knew of a bandit DZ that might have been doing this.

I don't know about Ohio, but Indiantown, Florida used to put 1st jump students out in freefall, by themselves. That was some 25 years ago. They had KAP-3 AAD's on the main, and SSE AAD's on the reserves. And it wasn't a bandit operation either, they had a waiver from USPA to do that. So, such things did happen, and it doesn't necessarily mean they were rogues.

I've heard of such methods in the 60's and even the early 70's, but 25 years ago would be 1987 -- you sure it wasn't earlier than that?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I've heard of such methods in the 60's and even the early 70's, but 25 years ago would be 1987 -- you sure it wasn't earlier than that?

They were probably doing it earlier too. But I didn't start jumping at Indiantown until 1980, and it was still a practice at that time, and up until they closed down in the mid/late-1980's.