riggerrob

Which came first Buchman Eagle or Wonderhog?

Which was invented first, Bill Buchman's Eagle or Bill Booth's Wonderhog?

Which was the first mid-seventies "modern" (e.g. through-loops holding the reserve container closed) piggyback container?

Let's ignore Pioneer's 1960s vintage piggybacks.

Which was the first mid-seventies "modern" (e.g. through-loops holding the reserve container closed) piggyback container?

Para-Innovators was using a through loop in the early 70’s on the Piglet 2 system.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Roger Ramjet's the one to ask. From his post on where are they now?

What about you, you've been around long enough that I may have met you. I was the rigger at Z-Hills in 1973-early 74 before going to work for Bill Booth. Worked for him about a year building the first 100+ Wonderhogs, then went with Bill Buchman to IL for the summer to build his rigs. Returned and continued to jump at Z-Hills, Deland, and the Sod Farm (off 301 in Tampa).
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Roger Ramjet's the one to ask. From his post on where are they now?

What about you, you've been around long enough that I may have met you. I was the rigger at Z-Hills in 1973-early 74 before going to work for Bill Booth. Worked for him about a year building the first 100+ Wonderhogs, then went with Bill Buchman to IL for the summer to build his rigs. Returned and continued to jump at Z-Hills, Deland, and the Sod Farm (off 301 in Tampa).

While I worked for both "Bills," I have no idea who's rig was in service first. I never saw an Eagle rig before going to work for Buchmann, but his operation started in Ill while I lived and worked in Fla. I expect they both started pretty close to the same time, but have no way to know for sure.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I owned one wonderhog and two Buchman Eagles. The wonderhog was first by a least a year...

Hi Mike, not sure why when you bought your rigs would dictate when either started making their rigs. When I left Booth to work for Buchmann and moved up to Aurora for the summer, there were a ton of Eagle rigs being jumped at Hinkley already, so he had been making rigs for a while before I got there.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

I remember having one of the first wonderhog. Had the plastic ripcord that would break if it got nicked. I think before the 3 rings were out. I remember buchman trying the wrap which was on both eagles that I owned. I never had to try them out. So anyway, I'm not 100% sure which was first... Just going by my history..
Mike Branch
NSCSA #7

I remember having one of the first wonderhog. Had the plastic ripcord that would break if it got nicked. I think before the 3 rings were out. I remember buchman trying the wrap which was on both eagles that I owned. I never had to try them out. So anyway, I'm not 100% sure which was first... Just going by my history..

In the spring of '74, Gary, Jaybo, Bob Favreau, and Brent McClarty brought Mr. Douglas to DeLand and strarted working on it to be a jump plane. Bill Booth brought a rig he had built. It was a back rig with a wrap-around pilot chute released by a "plastic coated" ripcord. It was thin. With that and a poptop a jumper would be thinner (front-to-back) that with a Security piggy back. A few weeks later Bill showed up with a piggyback version. I think it had the thru loop comming from the reserve pack tray. That idea, of the pin flaps being pulled toward the pack tray, was the begining of the end of the rigs that resembled a refridgerator. As far as Buchman's rig, Mike Ladd had the first one I saw. A nice piece of equipment but I don't remember if it was that year or the year after.

Also in the spring of '74, Himalayan Rope (sp) stared jumping at DeLand, I seem to remember a Twin Beech but both brain cells may not be co-operating with each other.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

In the spring of '74, Gary, Jaybo, Bob Favreau, and Brent McClarty brought Mr. Douglas to DeLand and strarted working on it to be a jump plane. Bill Booth brought a rig he had built. It was a back rig with a wrap-around pilot chute released by a "plastic coated" ripcord. It was thin. With that and a poptop a jumper would be thinner (front-to-back) that with a Security piggy back. A few weeks later Bill showed up with a piggyback version. I think it had the thru loop comming from the reserve pack tray. That idea, of the pin flaps being pulled toward the pack tray, was the begining of the end of the rigs that resembled a refridgerator. As far as Buchman's rig, Mike Ladd had the first one I saw. A nice piece of equipment but I don't remember if it was that year or the year after.

Also in the spring of '74, Himalayan Rope (sp) stared jumping at DeLand, I seem to remember a Twin Beech but both brain cells may not be co-operating with each other.

I was there the weekend Bill showed up with the piggyback version. He said he was looking for someone to build them for him and I moved to Miami the next weekend. The rest is history as they say...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

What exactly is a thru-loop? Is this the same as the regular pin setup? Is it the same as a thru-loop i've heard of for base containers?

What exactly is a thru-loop? Is this the same as the regular pin setup? Is it the same as a thru-loop i've heard of for base containers?

The "through loop" used on both the Wonderhog and the Eagle rigs was simply that the loops holding the 2-pin reserve containers closed were one continuous piece run through the bottom of the container in such a way that even if just one of the two pins cleared, the loop could flow through the back releasing the reserve pilot chute.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

The "through loop" used on both the Wonderhog and the Eagle rigs was simply that the loops holding the 2-pin reserve containers closed were one continuous piece run through the bottom of the container in such a way that even if just one of the two pins cleared, the loop could flow through the back releasing the reserve pilot chute.

Also the way the elastic loop in a reserve "freebag" works with the locking stows. I think that was also Bill Booths inovation. Remember the rubber "O" rings on Para Flites original bag?
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

I was a member of the Himalayan Rope (Tony Patterson, Steve Fugleberg, Jay Boynton, Dan Steger, Larry Gossler, Helen Frazer, Mike Branch, Steve Noonan, Bobby Wilson, and one I cannot remember. Twin Beach was flown from Atlanta each weekend. Twin Beaches were used for the '74 ten man event.. Not ten WAY!!!
Mike Branch
NSCSA #7

eply]

I was a member of the Himalayan Rope (Tony Patterson, Steve Fugleberg, Jay Boynton, Dan Steger, Larry Gossler, Helen Frazer, Mike Branch, Steve Noonan, Bobby Wilson, and one I cannot remember. Twin Beach was flown from Atlanta each weekend. Twin Beaches were used for the '74 ten man event.. Not ten WAY!!!

Wow! All those names in the line up really bring flashbacks. I seem to remember Steve Noonan in the door as a floater? Or maybe he was being pinned by Larry Gossler for the base. Dan Steger was the coolest Naval Aviator I have ever met. When he left the Navy no one would ever know he had ever been in the military. I remember he had this squinty eyed smile that lit up the whole area. Last I heard, he was living in St. Augustine but that was over 20 years ago.
Louis D Brandeis

eply]

Wow! All those names in the line up really bring flashbacks. I seem to remember Steve Noonan in the door as a floater? Or maybe he was being pinned by Larry Gossler for the base. Dan Steger was the coolest Naval Aviator I have ever met. When he left the Navy no one would ever know he had ever been in the military. I remember he had this squinty eyed smile that lit up the whole area. Last I heard, he was living in St. Augustine but that was over 20 years ago.

Dan is still there. And yes, the coolest Navel Aviator I've ever met too. Dan Steger story... I was a pretty bad student while on static line doing back flips, front flips, etc. The standard exit from the 182 with step at Z-Hills was being taught as trail a foot, kick up and push off. I was either kicking too much and pushing to a front flip or not enough and pushing to a back flip. Dan took me up for my 8th and 9th static lines. Before going up he asked what trouble I was having. After hearing the procedure, he said, why don't you trail the outside foot as before, but instead of kicking up and pushing off, just do a little side hop? This was too easy and I was cleared for freefall after the 9th static line. I spoke with and demonstrated my new found method to Jim Hooper and Jeff Searles and to their credit, they altered the training to the hop to the side method.

I also loved his animated style. One day he had a mal on his cheapo and started screaming "cutaway, cutaway" before he actually cutaway. I styled my cheapo after his adding pull down center lines to my 7TU. Luckily, my cheapo blew up with a may west at about 350 jumps and I "was forced" to buy a new Strato Star ;)

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark