Krip

Fulton Airport

Hi folks

104 hits on the fulton DZ reunion and no takers. :o

1) What state is the fulton airport located in?

2) What famouse WW2 Head of gov't visited this little town after the war and delivered a famouse speech.

3) Why the hell did he choose to make his speech in a litttle town that most people never heard of?.

The only reason I know about the place it was the closet DZ to the univ i was attending on the G.I. Bill
$175/moB|
One Jump Wonder

"1) What state is the fulton airport located in?"

I think you mentioned Missouri to me one day, but I don't remember a reunion.

"2) What famous WW2 Head of gov't visited this little town after the war and delivered a famous speech."

I think you told me that too, but I don't remember.

There is a pattern emerging...

I might go to such a reunion, but so far the details have been sparse. We have a lot of talking this up to do.

Hi Krip,

Others have told most of it but I do believe this is where the term the 'Iron Curtain' was first used.

Churchhill said something about 'An iron curtain has dropped across Europe.'

Yes/no?????

Interestly, I just finished a book about the Berlin Wall.

For the older folks here, I was in Berlin on the day in June '63 when Kennedy gave his 'Ich ein Berliner' speech. Now that was a large crowd.

JerryBaumchen

For anyone interest in attending the reunion

The POC is Dick Davis He still lives in Fulton and is in chage of the reunion. I got his permission to throw his Email address out there. Please contact Dick directly for any further info

His Email address is

[email protected];

I think Dicks open to working with everyone to try and schedual the reunion that will work for most folks. (Herding cats)

I'll vouch for the man.

Public disclosue. Fulton was a special place at a special time in the history of skydiving. The DZO Mr Bob Atterberry was the best I've ever met and all the guy's that jumped there were the nicest folks I've met. during my short career of skydiving.

In spite of all that I'm sorry to inform you all but I won't able to attend due to the usual summer weather conditions in the midwest.:( I've lived in the PNW to long, our present weather today is as usual cloudy, rain and mid 50's.:)
I don't have any unrealistice expectation R.I.P. who? Who cares just another old fart has been. Some of us old farts aren't well known and won't be missed.:P I doubt the DZO Bob Atterboy will be able to attend:|

OTOH Mr Peak, Skydivejack, and others will enjoy meeting their old friends and might be surpised to see how well everyone else has done. Check out the fulton airport websight and Contact Dick Davis if you got a plane B|B|.

I just steped up to the plate and tried to figure out how to contact as many other old farts as efficently as possiable. DZ.com History and trivia section. ;)

One Jump Wonder

Hi Jerry

Bingo you got the prize.

For some reason I'm not surprised that you were the first to put the Jig saw puzzle togther.

I actuall went behind the iron curtain around 1960 during a train ride from Frankfort to West Berlin. And then went to East berlin via check point charlie. :o:o:o. It was a real eye opener for a 13 YO kid.

How did you get to Berlin in 63? Ground or air?

We don't know how good we got it in the USA in spite of all the present political issue's,and economic challenges. The poor folks that got caught behind the iron curtain:(:(

In spite of my pessimistic attidude I can't imagine things ever getting that bad in the USA. Impossiable ? hell no but at my age at least I know it won't happen in my lifetime

Hi Krip,

Others have told most of it but I do believe this is where the term the 'Iron Curtain' was first used.

Churchhill said something about 'An iron curtain has dropped across Europe.'

Yes/no?????

Interestly, I just finished a book about the Berlin Wall.

For the older folks here, I was in Berlin on the day in June '63 when Kennedy gave his 'Ich ein Berliner' speech. Now that was a large crowd.

JerryBaumchen

One Jump Wonder

Hi Krip,

How did you get to Berlin in 63? Ground or air?

We drove in; in a '54 Buick convertible with the top down. Made it easy to know that we were Americans.:P

There were three of us & since I worked in the Orderly Room of my outfit, I did all of the paperwork that let us drive through East Germany. One guy, who was TDY from the states, was on a 9-day 3-day pass; hey, it can be done. :)

Howard, I also have a photo of myself standing in front of Checkpoint Charlie.

In those days, Berlin was open 24/7; and were the girls ever friendly. ;)

JerryBaumchen

PS) Since we were active duty military, we were not allowed behind the Iron Curtain; only for the drive into & out of Berlin. I tried to get us into East Berlin but that was a no-go. >:(