SansSuit

Earliest Naked Jump

I asked this question a while back, but thought I would rephrase it and see if i can get different answers.

What is the earliest naked jump that you know of?

I doubt if I can ever state "The first naked jump was made on ....." Maybe I can say something like "Naked jumping has been happening since at least ...... "

Thanks!
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Late seventies. IFIF jump. They landed on the golf course in front of the club house restraurant. BTW the pilot was naked also.

Dick Higgley and ??? blanking on the female. I know the name but can't come up with it.

I'm sure it was much earlier.

Funniest? I kind of weasel of a skydiver, not very good, with a strato star who jumped into a nudest colony festival. Naked, hit the stage and broke both legs. Okay, doesn't sound funny but you had to know the guy.:) He was also banned from a bar for riding his POS Harley sportster through it naked. And believe me, nobody wanted to see his skinny ass naked.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Not the earliest by a long shot I'm sure, but on Saturday evenings in 1979 the sunset load at Otay Lake would often land naked up on Otay Lake Road, overlooking the dropzone. Then they'd casually stand around and drink beer, nekkid as the good Lord made them. Sometimes whuffos would pull their cars over to join the party. You had to be there to believe it.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

This definitely wasn't the first naked skydive, but might be the first naked skydive on TV. We jumped into Glen Eden Nudist Colony in So. Cal.

It aired on 18 Nov. 1980 on a short-lived show called "2 On the Town" It was a CBS local show. If anyone can find footage, I'd appreciate it. If for no other reason than to keep it away from my children's eyes' ;-)

Lisa
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Back in the early 60's I had a student at Manville who was Tommy Walkers neice. Tommy Walker was a legendary barnstormer and jumper. He was in his late 60's when I met him at Manville. He told us that in the 40's he jumped naked for a Sherriffs Convention (in Ohio I believe), paid for by a group of the lawmen who wanted to shock their buddies, and he was paid double his normal rate to go sans clothing. He was known for some crazy stunt flying in pre war Hollywood. If any of you have read Don Dwiggen's books on aviation, he has a chapter on some of Walkers jumping and flying stunts.

This definitely wasn't the first naked skydive, but might be the first naked skydive on TV. We jumped into Glen Eden Nudist Colony in So. Cal.

Most excellent !
Peace,
-Dawson.

Back in the early 60's I had a student at Manville who was Tommy Walkers neice. Tommy Walker was a legendary barnstormer and jumper. He was in his late 60's when I met him at Manville. He told us that in the 40's he jumped naked for a Sherriffs Convention (in Ohio I believe), paid for by a group of the lawmen who wanted to shock their buddies, and he was paid double his normal rate to go sans clothing. He was known for some crazy stunt flying in pre war Hollywood. If any of you have read Don Dwiggen's books on aviation, he has a chapter on some of Walkers jumping and flying stunts.

OK, the forties ..... so far. Man, I would love to have more details about this jump.
Peace,
-Dawson.

Again, not the first but one I remember when ever I hear "naked jump."

Skydiver Magazine did an article on a jump into a nudist camp in the '70s in CA. The picture I recall is some one going into a rose bush. OUCH? Seems as though there was a famous name or two in the group.

Also, an article in Playgirl. It showed a guy tracking off with his hand on his crotch. Made me think he might not be haveing that much fun. Naked jumps never held any interest for me after that.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Hi Sans,
Read my reply to [skymama] Would you go/have you gone to a Nudist Camp? 09JUL08 7:24PM in the bonfire. Almost got a BASCR 25JUN83 [Summersolstace] at Scare-us-valley only 7 in. "But I Got The VIDEO!!" somewhere in the archives. WOW! That was 27 years ago! A lot if DZ.commers were still a twinkle on someone else's Nude Dive!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Around 1965 I remember Gary Dupuis of Deland telling me how he and his brother Joe had made a jump into a nudist camp but I don't think they were nude.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Sanssuit- I spoke with my brother last night, who used to jump with me back in the day. He remembered Tommy Walkers stories, and said he believed the jump was in the Carolinas, and that the wives were at the event. Tommy said he was quickly picked up in a Sheriffs car (with sirens blasting and lights flashing) after he landed and wrapped himself up in his canopy. I then checked internet and found out TW was only in his late 40's or early 50's when we talked with him in '63. He was also a test pilot before WWII and a wing walker. In the late 60's the US Navy conducted a test with a Stinson, single engine. TW piloted, and the wings were rigged to blow off. They did and a Bill Jolly rigged Pioneer 60' round deployed from the tail. Walker exited at 1k and pulled his 28' modified High Porosity. Both plane and pilot had about same rate of descent and landed about the same time. This took place at Navy's Lakehurst Base in NJ (I write about that base and jumping there elswhere on this forum). For many years I had Walkers business card he gave me, one of those that fold in two. Open it up and it had the stuff about stunt flying jumping wingwalking, etc. And a large photo of a pair of biplanes crashed in a heap on a field, Walker sitting atop the wreckage with a big smile. It was the aftermath of a stunt he did in Hollywood. I also believe Walker was the pilot of the Twin Beech that shattered the billboard in the movie "It's a Mad Mad World", thou I think Frank Tallman and Paul Mantz (The legendary Tallmantz of Hollywood stunt flying fame) are credited with that stunt. I was 16 at the time I had met him and already heard about him from other jumpers, he was one of those unforgettable "larger than life" characters.

Hi Dan,
'Twas either Frank or Paul, I seem to recall Frank doing it from an article I read in "Flying" mag from that timeframe. The sign was made of styrofoam squares stacked up and held together between two sheets of paper rigged up between two vertical I-beams. I believe the article said there was 3 feet of clearance on either wing tip!! Frank had enough trouble after the punch as some of the styrofoam squares plugged up the air intake on one engine and the cooling on both engines!! Went thru the Talmantz Museum at Orange County Airport back in '77 or '78, quite a place.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

You've probably seen this video but it's worth watching again. Sure shows one of the problems of naked skydiving....

I maintain that this guy was not appropriately endowed for this particular endeavor. I, on the other hand, have no such problem!:P
Peace,
-Dawson.

Yep, that German was "blowin' in the wind", but I don't know why you should be bragging the opposite. ;-)

Lisa NJFTV #1
The first naked TV jump (until someone can come up with an air date earlier--now the gauntlet has been thrown down--and I'm sure someone will) or I've been out of it so long this is already old hat.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Howdy Jeff,

This would have been a good question to ask during the "Old-Timers Reunion."

Back in the mid 60's to early 70's the Sky Knights would do a few jumps into a place in Burlington called Camp Running Bare.

The resort is still there under the name of Sun Ray Hills.

Maybe, next summer consider reviving another old tradition?
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

I was talking with Pirate yesterday and he said the old gang from Hinkley used to jump into there also.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Bob,

You may be talking about the August 15, 1971 Miss Nude Cosmos Pageant at the Oakdale Guest Ranch in San Bernardino, CA. Frank Carpenter from the Hermosa Beach Rubleseat Para-Scuba Club/Bar put the jump together.

We had 7 guys (Myself, Doug Kin, David Farkle Craig, John Lanvetter, Ron Durham, Donovan Wall and I think Bill Parsons), and one girl (Ron's daughter) on the jump. OUr pilot was Darrell Spanky Craten and we used his D-18. The same D-18 Darrell grounded out at Taft a few years late. My brother had lost his right leg during the SCR Stumbles at Elsinore just before the Pageant, so he could not jump. He was in the pool during our jump. As everyone was looking up to watch the jump my brother started yelling "SHARK" and brought his stump up above the water surface dripping with blood. Their was blood all around and one lady in the stands had to be taken away. As we were landing near the pool area a lady ran onto the target area and was trying to take a picture of me so I had to turn fast to keep from landing on her. I ended up in a bush. Not the bush I wanted at the time.

Bob,

You may be talking about the August 15, 1971 Miss Nude Cosmos Pageant at the Oakdale Guest Ranch in San Bernardino, CA. Frank Carpenter from the Hermosa Beach Rubleseat Para-Scuba Club/Bar put the jump together.

We had 7 guys (Myself, Doug Kin, David Farkle Craig, John Lanvetter, Ron Durham, Donovan Wall and I think Bill Parsons), and one girl (Ron's daughter) on the jump. OUr pilot was Darrell Spanky Craten and we used his D-18. The same D-18 Darrell grounded out at Taft a few years late. My brother had lost his right leg during the SCR Stumbles at Elsinore just before the Pageant, so he could not jump. He was in the pool during our jump. As everyone was looking up to watch the jump my brother started yelling "SHARK" and brought his stump up above the water surface dripping with blood. Their was blood all around and one lady in the stands had to be taken away. As we were landing near the pool area a lady ran onto the target area and was trying to take a picture of me so I had to turn fast to keep from landing on her. I ended up in a bush. Not the bush I wanted at the time.

That is absolutely hilarious. And yeah. You should've gone for the other bush. ;)
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Bob,

I recall hearing about that jump in the mid 70's...all the way back in Illinois! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

On our way home, Lyle Cameron said we should stop for lunch, so we stopped at a bar along I-10. As we entered the bar (in mass) the bar tender went into a panic. To him we looked like an out of town gang so he called the local PD. The police came, IN FORCE! Hell, it looked like something out of a Blues Brothers film. You know, with black and white cars coming to a fast stop with all of the special effects tire sounds and lots of lights, and police running around and around trying to find out who is in charge. They made us all go outside (without our beer) and it was up against the wall MoFo. We were told that they didn't need our type there and we should LEAVE TOWN, LIKE NOW. Well we were not up to having a wall to wall talk with the local PD so we said, "yes sir, no sir, you are right sir, we are wrong sir" and we beat feet out of Dodge in my 69 Chevy van with smoke coming out of it. I don't think telling them that we just jumped nude into a resort would help our situation so we kept that one under check until we were way way down the road back to Hermosa Beach. It only took us about two miles before we started cracking up way out of control. The only thing we were very upset about was we didn't get any beer and I didn't get the thorns out of my butt until we made it all the way back to the Rumbleseat bar in Hermosa Beach. Damn, all we wanted to do Offisa was to have a little fun in the sun.

One month later I got my brother up in the air again at Elsinore. At first he had a hard time finding the right position to fall in. He was in a slow spin because of the extra drag on one side, or lack there of on the other side. Every time he came around I would slap him upside the head to stop his spin. He got the message about the 4th time around and everything fell into place after that.