ribizligizi

Military Parachuting in the USA

Well, my ex-wife was Hungarian. Unfortunately, she hated my skydiving.

Do a broader search, skydiving and BASE jumping are alive and well in Hungary!

Good luck!

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, sorry! Try a search based on Lew Sanborn and that guy from France, Jacque Estelle (SP?).
Throw in the word Pond and a few others I have forgotten (drunk at the moment).;)

Thanks Sparky on the info. on halo operations. I never went to halo school, but I have jumped out of a C-130 blackbird. It had a lot of secret, stuff on board. It could follow the terrain at a low altitude and had an early version of a GPS on board. The green light would go on when you were over the D.Z. By todays standards this is all primitive, but during the early 70's it was high tech.

I even got chewed out when I took a picture of it....

We were in isolation at Camp McCall for about five days. One afternoon we loaded our A-team onto one of these Black Birds. We chuted up over Texas someplace with our mc-1, static line rigs. I was the jumpmaster. You could feel the plane going up and down as it followed the terrain in. When the green light went on I jumped first. I would usually jump last (when I jumpmastered), but some of our team were nervous to jump, and I figured what the heck, I'd go first....

It was so black that I never did see the ground. I wasn't able to drop my equipment. I just crashed into the desert. One guy was hurt, and had to be medivaced out.

We worked with the airforce S. F. people. We would set up some type of electric beacon on top of a hill. Jets would then fly a distance and a track to a target.
This too was really high tech and secret in the early 70's. By today's standards it would be way outdated.

In the early 70's we jumped a new type of chute. It was just like a T-10 except there were two safety forks that were pulled just above your capewells. You'd pull these after opening. The risers would then slide just above the capewells. You'd pull you risers to turn, and then try to even them out before landing. None of this worked very well. The army soon scrapped this idea. I think Special Forces were the first to jump these.

Later we started jumping t-10's that were like a 7-TU. I would sometimes wear my Frenchies on practice jumps, and stand up land. This was a sure way to get chewed out. Standups were a no-no. I think those modified T-10's were called Mc-1's, but my memory is about shot.....

I was jumping with UDT 21 little creek virgina in the late 50's we made up as we went .i was a rigger in the navy .we would hustle airplanes from the navy the higher they could fly the better . no one knew what was going but we would try it anyway at the time halo was jumpin 12,000 we were jumping 20,000 with oxygen . they would come up from bragg and jump with us.

I think I hold some kind of record for the most flight time on two consecutive military jumps. Sometime in 1968 I boarded a C-130 at MacDill AFB in Tampa and flew for about eight hours before jumping into Indian Springs At Nellis AFB in Nevada. A week later I again boarded a C-130 and we flew around Cuba to Panama where I jumped into Rio Hata. I think that flight was eight or nine hours non-stop. Fortunately the Air Force was in charge of both jumps and let us suit up in flight. If the Army had run the show we'd have been in our rigs for the entire flights.

I'm attaching a shot of me from 1969.

In all I logged 43 military jumps from Hueys, C-130s, and once from a C-141 at 1100 feet.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!