Kirils

Hawaii Maui DZ

I'll soon be off to Maui for the 1st time. Does anyone have experience jumping there? (I heard the winds are a problem?) My wife has less than 100 jumps and I'm wondering about the landing area and degree of challenge in landing. I spoke to the DZ but they were quite vague about these things. Any input would be apppreciated!
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

Maui DZ? As far as I know the only DZs in Hawaii are located at Dillingham Field on Oahu, you might want to recheck that. I've jumped there at Skydive Hawaii, and yes, the winds are squirrly and there aren't many outs. I jumped tehre with only 88 jumps the first time. I dont think it's jump numbers as much as just canopy currency.
"I live to EFS"
Tom

All four DZs are right next door to each other. Like four houses on a street, they are all neighbors. It's pretty funny to look at. Each manifest is like 30 feet apart from each other. The hangars for the planes are all down at the other end of the field, like a half mile away, so each "DZ" is basically a house on the access road, it;s actually a pretty cool set up. If one DZ has a full load, you walk next door and manifest there.....LOL
"I live to EFS"
Tom

the landing area is bloody huge! the whole airport basically.
crosswinds are not usual ,but of course happen a few days a year,and then are generally not strong winds.
relatively speaking there are a lot of outs .although not great,are better than forest,urban sprawl,or water.

Here is also what I've heard about this place on these forums:
-they will not jump when the wind is heading out to the ocean (going north). they do this so that if there is a cutaway, the canopy doesn't go out in the water and is lost forever
-they say if you are going to land in the water, you should actually TRY to go farther out because if you land too close, you will be pounded (perhaps to death) by the huge waves Hawaii is famous for
-check for the experience required. certainly water training would be. i emailed them awhile back and some of them required up to a D license. just be sure before making the trip all the way there.
Again.....good luck. :)JumpinDuo.com...come and sign the guestbook.

My wife and I live and jump on Oahu. There used to be a small "by appointment" cessna/tandem concession on Maui but last I heard they haven't been active for years (not sure on this though).
Everyone is correct in that there are 3 dz's to choose from.
Pacific International (King Air)
Skydive Hawaii (King Air "if enough jumpers" and C206)
Air Tugie (Cessna 402)
It's a pretty good vibe with options (if loads are backed up at one you just walk down the street)
Canopy currency is a MUST! The actual landing are is approx. 90yds long by 60yds wide running straight east/west. However you have to cut that in half due to the fact that the most predominent winds are "trade winds" that blow from the northeast and tumble over 60 tall cedars all along the north edge of the dz. This can cause some pretty turbulent conditions at times. Actaully the main reason for not jumping with Kona (south) winds is the fact that just south of the DZ is the 2500 ft Wai'anae Mountain Renge which creates even more turbulence than the trees. Winds average 10-20 daily, steady is the norm, gusty the exception, calmer in the mornings however.
All in all it's a great place to jump as long as you stay on your toes under canopy. Be prepared for one thing before you jump!!! Be ready to be overwhelmed at the magnificent view (watch that altitude *smile*wink*). Yesterday we could see both mountain(volcano) peaks on Maui and the "big island" of Hawaii from the King Air. During the winter you can also see whale pods off the North Shore. Amazing!
Enjoy and Be safe. Maybe see you out here!!
Aloha!

Wish we did Remster..."More the merrierB|"...we always say!(no flames)
Truth is, it takes all we can do to pay the landlord and feed the habit @ the DZ (Not sure what climbs higher faster...King Air?? or the bill at manifest at the end of the day?!?!). But there you have it..."Such is Life huh?":P
There are, however, plenty of skydiving brothers and sisters out here that may(?) present a cheap option for a "Skydiving in Hawaii holiday"
Cheers and Aloha~~
go muff!