mjosparky

Gary Douris

Skydiving has lost one of the pioneers of the sport. Gary Douris passed away today after an extended battle with cancer. Gary was a skydiver, ATP, JM, Instructor, master rigger and manufacture. He managed the legendary Elsinore DZ during the 60’s and 70’s.
He was a Marine for 12 years and during 2 tours in Viet Nam was awarded the Sliver Star, the Bronze Star with Combat “V” and 2 purple hearts. The lights that once burned so bright keep flickering out. Sad. :(

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Gary was very good at striking the right amounts of both fear and inspiration to flailing students like me. He did a lot for Elsinore, the Perkins, and all of us, including those who never met him.
Ted
D6691 SCR 3975 SCS 2242 NSCR 698
On the road to wrack and ruin…………
but making damn good time.

In case you haven't heard, the Gary Douris Memorial Tribute will be Saturday November 14 at Skydive Elsinore.

The organizers have gone 'all out,' and this is really going to be quite a memorable event.

All Friends of Gary are welcome, of course, but if you do plan to attend, you should RSVP to the organizers, so they can get a head count. (PM me if you need contact info.)

We'll give ol' "Red" Douris quite a send off!

Jerry
Old Fart #2 (Thanks Gary!)

Hi Jerry:

I'm glad that you can attend!

Here is what I know so far: Gary's friends will be fun jumping all day. The ashes dive is going to take off before 4:00 and the the aerial display, fly-by, taps, etc. will take place right before sunset The memorial event follows that, and then stories galore, along with food & beer & etc.

I'll post more details as it gets closer.

Jerry

[FYI, this is a cross-post from the 'Gary' thread in Blue Skies forum.}

Well, it has now been one whole year since we lost Gary, 9/3/09, but it seems like yesterday. To properly mark the date, I put on my very best 'Gary T-shirt' and did a little early-morning "Gary Memorial Flight" in my little light-sport airplane.

(Coincidentally, today is also the one-year birthday for my little flying filly; I stopped by Gary's house that day on the way home to give him the good news. Sigh.)

Anyway, I flew over Gary's old homestead in Lake Elsinore and I dropped some wildflowers I had picked by the airport. Then I turned back south and did a flyby at Skydive Elsinore, dropping more flowers over the DZ and airport.

Then I headed home with a smile on my face. RIP Gary, you are still in our thoughts,

I met Gary in early 1968, shortly after I returned from Viet Nam. He was in VMCJ-3 and I was in MABS-33 at El Toro MCAS. I made my first jump at Skylark Aviation and we had lots to talk about. As years would pass, we maintained contact. I continued to jump until November 1992. Gary was a multitalented individual. I enjoyed his sense of humor, his energy and his dedication to the development of sport parachuting. He is often in my thoughts. I attach a photo taken in 1980 of Gary, who was an ASO at the time, and Dave Wilds. Semper Fi, Gary.