keithbar

lockheed al60

anyone else seen the ad in the back of the new parachutist? " 1967 lockheed AL60 seats 7 huge rear door" anyone ever jumped one? piston or turbine? does seats 7 mean passenger actual seating witch would have to mean like what? 8 9 skydivers with the seats out more? door like a u-206? I could call the guy but I don't have 70 grand to blow on an airplane and dont want to waste the guys time.i was curious if someone on here had jumped one.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Have jumped two different ones, both were extremely slow climbers. IIRC, there were weight and balance issues with more than five jumpers and getting everyone as far foward as possible on takeoff was very critical. The last one I jumped eventually crashed on takeoff due in part to CG issues.

Don't remember anyone ever having any warm and fuzzys about that particular model as a jump plane.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

I noticed that the aircraft pictured in your link is the same one pictured in the ad in Parachutist.

That's interesting as I haven't seen the ad. Have to go check it out... which issue?

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

To no one in particular:

Is that the same plane that used to be at United (The Herd) when they were in Gilbertsville, Pa back in the mid to late 80's? I know what they had was an Aermacchi, but theirs had a 3-blade prop, was about the size of a C-205 & took 5 jumpers, if I'm remembering correctly. I made a few jumps from it in the 86-89 era. Felt just like jumping a Cessna to me, but what did I know then, or now...?
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

You'd think with 400 hp, that with only 5 jumpers and a pilot on board, it would be a decent climbing A/C.

I flew a recip Porter years ago (once belonged to Steve Snyder) which had a 350hp engine (I think) that didn't exactly rocket to altitude but would climb like about like a C-182 if you kept the IAS within plus/minus 3kts of best rate of climb...and that was with 8 jumpers and pilot.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

Correct me if i'm wrong on this one but I remember flying one of those on a run from Milwaukee Mitchell field to O'hare in chicago on a twice daily utility/mail run.
At the time, to get weight and balance all you had to do was pull the tail down and get the nose off the ground. If the tail stayed down, you had to move stuff forward till it came up. I think I remember that as being in the aircraft operators manual as the way to make sure you were okay on weight and balance.
I do remember some issues with jumpers having to crowd forward to make it fly.
Interesting stuff is it not?

There were several different engines used on these according to my research. Smallest being an IO-470 at 260hp, which would equal slow climber.
400hp with 8 jumpers should equal about Cessna climb rates. I've got a ton of Beaver time with 8 jumpers and the gross on this thing is about 800lbs less, but 50hp less as well.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!