pchapman

Baton pass jump / 50th anniversary

Yeah, that's her. We paddled around in Lake Tinkiller. Looked at your other pics while I was there. This is a pic of me at Manasas in '62.

Hi Woody,

My ex bought Susie's US Team Papillon. Believe it or not I still have it in my garage!
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

The history of baton passes has been a bit mixed up and unclear. It sounds like the first may have been Potron & Chalon in France in '56 =>

This is correct : when the french did it in 1956, there was an article in some US magazine, the writter said what this act was a shame and he was hoping what this would never be repeated !
By the way, Jacques Chalom is still an active skydiver.

Eric's recollections are close but I can refine what he wrote.

He must be thinking of the 1956 NPJR newsletter that is copied at: http://indra.net/~bdaniels/ftw/fr_ref1_NPJR.html.

In it, Joe Crane's the opinion of the baton pass was actually guardedly optimistic, but the opinion of a 9-way chunk exit in France was that it was seen as a risky stunt.

Eric, do you have any other information about how that first baton pass happened?

By utter coincidence, I discussed this subject the other evening over dinner with a guy named Jacques-André Istel (some of you may have heard of him.B|) He's currently at his summer place 40 miles or so north of where I'm sitting).
He says he witnessed the Hillard-Snyder pass at Ft. Bragg. He knew Raymond Young and Joe Crane well. So I've just sent him the NPJR stuff in the hope he might be able to add to the story.

HW

Eric, do you have any other information about how that first baton pass happened?

I am not sure it was this article Jacques Chalom was speaking about, also I am not very documented about this first baton pas, when I spoke with Jacques Chalom , he told me he did not realize it was something so important at the time he did it...

To shed more light on the subject. I made my 7th troop jump from a C-130 in '57. First time the Division used them when they went Pentomic.

do you have any info on the possibility of civilian college students using a c-130 for fun jumps around that time?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~