BIGUN

Paging Mr. White... Riddle Me this

In a Barber Shop; Barber has this and a couple more like it posted on his wall...
We talk... He lets me have the picture and asks for its return.

Name one of the guys who concocted this idea (his name was on the picture, but I PS'd it out...
The year it happened...
Where
Hint 1... The airplane ad is NOT a clue of where
Hint 2... The airplane is sitting right now where it happened

You can prolly guess what kind of plane... so I left that off the test question

Man, talk about a historical find...
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Hi BIGUN,

Fresno in 1964. That's Lyle Cameron on the top of the fuselage. The aircraft was used for US Team tryouts & training prior to the '64 World Meet.

RE: Hint 2... The airplane is sitting right now where it happened

That aircraft is now owned by Jack Ady ( 1964 US Nat'l Champ ) and is sitting in Snohomish, WA.

Right/wrong?????

I talked with Jack last summer and it needs a full fuselage covering and he does not want to spend the money to do it. I doubt that she will ever fly again; unless some lottery winner buys it from Jack and restores her.

JerryBaumchen

For a short time, I used to volunteer at the San Diego Air and Space museum in the rehab shop downstairs. If an airplane has some historical significance, they would consider taking it on as a project. It's a huge longshot, but maybe they might be interested.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

8 minutes?!?!? :o

You are right on all counts, except...
I was "told" Jack Ady was on the jump, the year was 1963, the jump was done in Snohomish.

Damn.. You're good. I thought I'd found a stumper. Dammit. :D

For the others... It's a Fairchild 71.

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

:o

You are right on all counts, except...
I was told Jack Ady was on the jump, the year was 1963, the jump was done in Snohomish.

Damn.. You're good. I thought I'd found a stumper. Dammit. :D

For the others... It's a Fairchild 71.

Okay I gotta question...:)

What the Hell were YOU doin' in a BARBER SHOP?! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Well, it's obviously a very easy one, as lots of other people have already correctly IDed it.
It was a Sky Diver cover (don't have the date at hand), and I have a slightly better scan of it. In fact I'd already posted a black and white version of it here, and there were responses.
The scans I posted earlier were in Howard Gregory's book, "Parachuting's Unforgettable Jumps III."(1987).
The photo was taken by Luis Melendez Jr. using a 4x5 Speed Graphic (for those not familiar with it, that's the classic old news photographer's camera often seen in old movies.)
The jumpers are Lyle Cameron, Susie Bateman, Rick Remler, Billy Lockward, Ed Melendez, Chip Maury, Hector Nunez, Rick Montez, Andy Skrodinsky, and Jim Hyland.
Gregory's book has almost two full pages of Melendez's description of how the picture was taken; in short, he worked for about eight months and a lot of jumps before he got this one.
Chip Maury was himself a well-known and prolific skydiving photographer; he retired a few years ago from teaching and now lives in New York state; I exchange email with him from time to time and would love to get a look at the huge volume of neat pictures he's made.
I've also posted elsewhere another famous picture of Chip, Cameron and others on the outside of another plane in flight.
Attached is the exit shot associated with the original pic.

HW

Well, I thought I had come across this little piece of unknown history when the guy told me Jack was on the jump, in Snohomish in 1963. I'm gonna see if I can trip over another treasure that may be more challenging for you gentlemen.

My apologies to Jerry - I was working off third-party information.

Hi BIGUN,

No apologies ever needed for me; well unless . . . ;)

Nope, Jack bought her in about '65 or so. And I know the photo was taken in '64; or else I gotta go see some type of head-doctor 'cause I'm doomed.

I first met Jack at a competition here in the Portland-area in '65. He had just come down to watch and I was talking to him and Cameron ( who was judging the meet ). The PCA ( name before USPA ) did not have any money to send a US Team overseas that year. So Cameron asked Jack if he would be willing to go on a US Team if he had to pay his own way & Jack said 'Hell, yes.' But the Army boys represented the USA in international competition that year. Jack never was on a US Team.

Jack Ady never entered another competition after winning the US Championship in '64.

But he is still a hell of a good guy; and I would not want to tangle with him. B|

JerryBaumchen

It was used at the 1964 nationals in Alta,Ut.It was hot and the DZ was 5000'above SL(I was busting my ass landing with my 28'7/TU LoPo) but fell in love with that GIANT CUB.It was a super jump ship for the day.Jack beat me out for 1st in style and is a super sportsman and competitor.

POP

I remember that as Oceanside in the early mid 60s.

That's Lyle up on top, Suzie Bateman in the door,
Jim Hyland (blue jumpsuit) and Bill Spargur (big
guy) hanging underneath, Hector Nunez with the
blue piggyback, Chip Maury sitting on the wheel,
and the rest were Oceanside regulars plus a couple
people (Billy Lockward?) and a couple others who
came down just for this picture.

We did it several times, with Jack Zahnizer, the pilot,
going up to 6 or 7,000 ft, then everybody climbing out,
and Jack coasting slowly over the country side,
gradually losing altitude, until people got tired and
fell off, or he made a pass over the dropzone
and people got off.

I'm pretty sure it was Luis Melendez filming.

That Fairchild was a great airplane. My logbooks
are still packed from this move, but I'll look one
of these days and get dates and more names.

Skr

It was used at the 1964 nationals in Alta,Ut.It was hot and the DZ was 5000'above SL(I was busting my ass landing with my 28'7/TU LoPo) but fell in love with that GIANT CUB.It was a super jump ship for the day.Jack beat me out for 1st in style and is a super sportsman and competitor.

POP

Pop! Just stumbled on this site a few days ago. I don't know if you remember me but I made the annual trek to your Christmas/New Year's meet in Indiantown every year from 67 until I moved to DC. Even met my first wife there. I was so dirt poor that you let me stay in the cab of Lou Bell's tractor trailer. I watched your 5000th jump and I thought you'd never pull. Someone who followed you way down (500 feet?) confided in me that he had never been so scared in his life. I think it might have been Frank Rodriguez. It's great to run into you again after more than 30 years!

Pat Moore
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!