skypuppy

who?

Ok, I'm not going to ask who, where, when, just who?

Both shots are the same guy. The pictures were taken by chuteless, so cole is not really a clue.

(Looks like there might be a problem with the first pic, I may have to repost it later)
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

The when would be sometime around 1964.

?????were piggyback rigs used in 1964?????

that was before my time... but i always thought that chest mounted reserves were the Norm...until late late 60's, early 70's when the early crossbow and other piggybacks came around..:S

but i could be wrong......
I WAS wrong,,, once...;)

jmy:)

Hi jimmy & Hoop,

The first piggyback, the Security CrossBow, came on the market in the Spring of '64. It had the 3-pin main container; they converted the main container to a diagonal 2-pin in about '66.

That rig with the 'Camels' in his hand is a Pioneer Para-Twin; the give-away is the ripcords. The Army Team got theirs in about '65 ( I believe that they had them for the Army-Marine Corp jump-off at Elsinore in '65 ). The Para-Twin came on the retail market in about '66 or so. That would make it not Arender; as I 'think' he was out of jumping by then.

Now who it is? I have no idea.

JerryBaumchen

Good guess, but the jumper is a Canadian (although that picture was taken in Fla. skies). This Canadian did move to the US.

He was in to style and accuracy, though, in fact the second picture is at the Canadian Team eliminations in 1964.

I'm sure the cigarettes are cameos.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

thanks for the history lesson guys.....
i do remember reading the name Jim Arender

and associated him with US Accuracy Team...
that was during the time when name tags on reserves and helmets, were common...:|
I do remember the Pioneer 3- Pin...made some jumps with one... nice harness, way better than a Four Pin !!!:P:P:S

and Yes... they did have that distinctive bend in the ripcord handle... and on closer look , you can't miss the two which are shown on the first photo... as well as each of the corresponding housings...
Notice the chest strap AND the bellyband!!!!! waaay before the days. of bellyband mounted pilot chutes...

The second picture of the O. P ... is great...

28 Foot 7 T -U ... maybe a lopo,,, probably not..;):)....

Accuracy in the days when " men were men"...
hahahaha.. Looks like " head down " was popular,
even forty years ago !!!!!

That picture looks like it is
"pre- Pea - gravel ".. hahahaha:)
sorry though,, can't hazard a guess as to
"who"...

jmy

cross bow was introduced in 1964 or 1965. the pioneer piggyback was not too far behind(if i recall).in the picture the guy is wearing a pioneer piggy back(note the reserve handle. it is what was referred to as a life raft handle. i dont think i have seen them on anything but the pioneer rig back then.)

Yes, I guess I gave away too much. It is Daryl Henry. The picture was taken in Clewiston, Fla.

Daryl was on the Cdn team that set a world record at the meet in Orange in 1962(? I think that was the year). I have a pic showing the rig from a little higher angle I will post later.

Daryl confirms the details as follows:
"That commercial shoot in Florida was for a Canuck cigarette called Cameo..... Bill Cole photographed it..... and all jumps were three-ways, with Canadian team member Mary Lou MacDonald as my 'partner' in exchanging cigarette packs, and kisses. On one jump we climbed to 22,500 feet in Paul Poppenhager's 180, sharing O2, for what was then a Canadian altitude record."
He also sent me the related print ad.

HW

Hi dum,

cross bow was introduced in 1964 or 1965.

Believe me, it was Spring '64. Security paid for the first ever color cover of Skydiver magazine when it came out.

'26 ft Lo-Po' (Dan Abbott) did a whole series of posts here about 1 1/2 yrs ago on the entire history of the piggyback development; and the lies that went with it. You might find his posts in a SEARCH.

it is what was referred to as a life raft handle. i dont think i have seen them on anything but the pioneer rig back then***

They are used on a Strong tandem rig; L/H outside mounted reserve handle if I 'remember' correctly.

JerryBaumchen

Probably had ripcord stops on them.

I thought the same, but I don't remember ripcord stops being used that early. I certainly didn't use one until much later.:( Although maybe a stow band, not a lead sinker, on the cable.

HW
(reviving my OFR rating scheme of several months ago, at least one Old Fart point is awarded to readers who have ever used a ripcord stop.)

Hi howard,

I don't remember ripcord stops being used that early.

They first appeared in Spring '64 on the CrossBow rig.

(reviving my OFR rating scheme of several months ago, at least one Old Fart point is awarded to readers who have ever used a ripcord stop.)

OK, give me another point. B|

JerryBaumchen

Should be one point for a rubber band and TWO for a sinker. ;)

How many points is it again for actually USING a Jesus cord? :$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~