piper17

Cessna 196

That plane had three paint jobs, two of which were while I was jumping at Z-Hills. The original paint scheme was a two color (blue and white I think, but I can't really remember). Then one day I arrived at the DZ and they were stripping the plane with paint stripper. Afterwards, they polished the skin and that's the "color" it was until after I left. Later it got the rainbow scheme (and the C-47 too) you see in your picture. Not sure if they clear coated the polished plane or not, maybe Hooper will remember.

I remember Jeff Searles initiating Lou Howell on flying the 196. "Take her to the back runway and do some taxiing to get a feel for her. Takeoff is just a fast taxi." Not long after Lou starting flying the plane, it lost oil pressure just after dropping a load and he dead sticked it perfectly right in front of the center.

As I recall, it also had two different wings during it's career at Z-Hills. There is another thread on this aircraft in this forum somehere.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

1st 8-Man Waunakee, Wi 6/14/73 " The Usual Suspects " L-R: G Larson,B. Zimmerman,J "FUBAR" Battalio, D."SHAKEY" Bulin, D Patterson, J. Konicek, J " Smitty" Schmidt, J. Severson, S. "SS" Schimming 1st of many with C196. Mandatory manifest scratch any individual with possibility of flatulence.

I probably have over a thousand hours in this aircraft....you may know me as Tuna..back in those days...when i flew her, she was red and white, still had wintip tanks and an aux tank behind the back firewall...\
I still remember that aircraft and it is now somewhere in south florida.
Thanks for the pictures....wow...
Bill

I believe it was, I have a picture (which i will soon scan and post) of jeff, bonnie and frank standing in front of the aircraft down in florida when he brought it in.....
I flew at rainbow from 62-69 when I moved to florida to work for jeff as pilot and rigger....and worked at the hills until jeff got busted in chattanooga. The fbi had me under surveaillance for almost three years after that, making it difficult to fly anymore so I just quit.
Those days were something else!!!
Bill, Tuna, Case