billabx

Delightful Deland

Just a couple of old photos from when I lived in Deland. The first is Candi Prosser swooping down to a WSCR star. The second is the star with Mike Truffer lurking outside just before he docked on it. As I recall recipient's name was Julie. She's at three o'clock with the red refrigerator on her back.

Those were some good times indeed. I used to come down from Savannah for "Buck off Boogie" each month. $5 to 10.5 for every load before noon. Made a lot of jumps out of Mr D and made lots of good friends too. Moved down there just before Bob and Tommy arrived and had even more good times over the ensuing five years.

jon

Yes Jon, I remember your visits well. (or at least as well as I remember anything from those days!) I found this dive in my old logbook. Sept 7, 1980 I wish I could remember Julie's last name. She was an early AFF student and I filmed a lot of her early dives. The dive pictured was her 15th jump. (Pretty hot for those days!) As best as I can remember, the others on the jump were (clockwise from Julie at 3:00) Candi, Cheryl, ?, Karen, Sandy, Connie, Martha?, Shiela, and ?.

Bill

BTW I've replaced the photos with better versions.

I wonder if your question marks are Barb Challet(sp?) and Kathy Embry. I'm not sure if Dana was still there but that could have been her in the rust. Saw Kathy at "Jump for the Cause" in Perris just before moving east. What a treat! It had been such a long time. Didn't reconnect with Dana tho. Bummer.

jon

Now you've both got the gears turning in my head. I think it probably is Kathy at 11:00 between Connie Simpson and Sheila Whitten. I'm also thinking Karen is between Sheila and Julie at 1:00 instead of at 8:00 next to Sandy. That would make the only two I'm clueless about the two ladies at 8:00 between Cheryl and Sandy. I also remembered Julie's last name being Conway-Common. I don't think she stayed with the sport much after graduating AFF, but she was a really nice girl and everyone liked her.

Bill

Stormville jumper wasn't she?

Nope. Massachusetts, mostly at DZs that no longer exist -- Mansfield and Taunton. Her father was a dentist who retired and went to school to become an A&P mechanic.
She cut away from a malfunction at Mansfield once and landed in the next town south, Norton. Somehow the police got involved, and the Boston Herald called, and -- I predicted the headline before it was published -- the story was "Girl Skydiver Cheats Death."

HW