cloud9

Gear Checks

In two weeks I saw 2 people misroute their cheststraps TWICE!! They were both low time jumpers (aprox 20 - 40 jumps). I then saw 1 other guy (aprox 40 jumps) do the same a month later. All picked up on flightline checks.
I'm paranoid about my chestrap!

Jo,
I've been told that if you ever misroute a chest strap you'll never do it again. Well I've done it twice. The chest strap I had on my Vector had a piece of velcro on it. I would slip it through the buckle once and temporarily put it on this piece of velcro while I fastened my leg straps. Of course I'd forget all about the chest strap and hurry to get on the plane. Since I cut off this Velcro I've had no further trouble fastening it correctly. I was a recently back into the sport after a long lay off when I did this (about three years ago). My rig back in the 70's had quick ejector hardware on the leg straps and chest strap. I never had any trouble with these, but I've heard that quick ejectors in such critical locations are now considered real dangerous. I'm just wondering why though, a b-12 fastener couldn't be used on a chest strap. Wouldn't this be a simpler easier way to go. I know you hear so many stories about people misrouting chest straps. There is probably a real flaw in this idea, but I'm just wondering. Be kind Bill Von. I 'm still learning a lot.

B-12 snaps and quick ejector snaps will work on chest straps, except that they are heavy and you lose fashion points.
I dislike B-12 snaps because they are just one more thing that a student can mess with bad enough to kill himself.
I dislike quick ejectors for 3 reasons.
First, quick ejectors are heavy.
Secondly, QE snaps are too easy to release accidentally.
Thirdly, QE snaps wear out long before the rest of the harness, then you have to go through the whole hassle of cutting the old QEs off the harness and finding screw-in QE snaps.
Wait a minute, I am a Master Rigger and I get paid bid bucks to replace worn out QE snaps.
Belay my last.

>I'm just wondering why though, a b-12 fastener couldn't be used on a chest strap.
It definitely could. It could still be misused (it still needs that same friction adapter that can get misthreaded) and can fail in several ways (if the spring breaks, it could release at a random time.)
As another idea, if the idea of a misthreaded chest strap bugs you, get a long one and never unthread it. Just loosen it, step out of the leg straps, and take the rig off over your head, or just let the rig fall off over your shoulders. If you never unthread it you can never mis-thread it.
-bill von

Hey I have simple, yet perhaps effective idea. Though as we have obviously established we should all be responsible for remembering and doing gear checks why not a lil help?
I think just a simple little sign saying "Gear Checks?" over or on the dz door as you leave to walk to the plane would help to remind and encourage them. I also think perhaps even a lil bumper sticker in the plane posted somewhere conspicuous might be nice.
I think I'll make up a t-shirt that says .....
"Ask me how I can save your life for a kiss?"
as a way to meet the women at WFFC heehee
kwak
Stupidity is a crime.