patworks

Why we sign off with *Blue Skies*

. . Our exit count was:
Ready!
. . BLUE SKY!
. . BLACK DEATH!
. . EXIT!

There are a series of jump commands that a jump master in the army gives. It's been thirty years or more but (if I remember right) it was
1. Get Ready
2. Standup
3. Hookup
4. Check equipment
5.Sound off for equipment check
6.Stand in the door
7.Go!

Well one day we were standing, all hooked up, nervous as hell, waiting for this "Narly" looking jumpmaster to get his commands over with, so we could jump.

So, after sounding off for our equipment check, this sargent yells at the top of his lungs....("F*** God, and stand in the door.")

About then everyones eyes got really big, and everyone knew we were gonna die for sure, or the aircraft would get struck by lightning, or that something really bad was about to happen. But everything usually went really well after that.

I think some of those salty old jump masters really enjoyed playing with our minds.

A few years later, I became a salty old jumpmaster myself, instead of giving the proper hand signal to stand up, I usually just gave everyone the bird. This seemed to take the pressure off and most jumps went well after that.....Steve1

Jacuzz told me that the first time he heard the phrase "Sport Death" uttered at a dropzone was one evening at Casa Grande following a showing of the USPA 16 mm movie "This Is A Sport."
As the movie ended, Bullit Bob stood up and said, "This is a sport? Wow man, this is Sport Death!"

I haven't been around nearly as long as most of the people in this thread, but Bullit is my friend and I'm thinking he's due for another leg humping. I sign off "blues" rather than "blue skies", because it can denote both the varying shades of blue we love and "the blues", as in a melancholy sadness or those haunting, "woe is me" songs. Over the years I've been saying it, it's taken on the same yin-yang, comedy-tragedy thing for me as I think BSBD means to many who pre-date me.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I haven't been around nearly as long as most of the people in this thread, but Bullit is my friend and I'm thinking he's due for another leg humping.

Bullit Bob still jumps. I made some with him at Lost Prairie, Boise, and Hamilton last year....I'll have to talk to him about Jacuzz. I didn't know they were friends....Steve1

I haven't been around nearly as long as most of the people in this thread, but Bullit is my friend and I'm thinking he's due for another leg humping.

Bullit Bob still jumps. I made some with him at Lost Prairie, Boise, and Hamilton last year....I'll have to talk to him about Jacuzz. I didn't know they were friends....Steve1

Yeah, I jumped with him at LP and Hamilton too, and possibly Richland and/or Davenport, but I didn't make it to Boise last year. ;)

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Yeah, I jumped with him at LP and Hamilton too, and possibly Richland and/or Davenport, but I didn't make it to Boise last year. ;)

I'll bet I know you too Dave, but can't place your face....

I hit Stevensville a couple times, last I think in 99. I did mostly tandems at Hamilton's 05 boogie, and a few more this past year in addition to some coach jumps with newbies & a few jumps with the more experienced crew. I've been hanging out in Missoula quite often these past several months and was at the Silvertip X-mas party and Fred's New Year party. Baker, Beeze, Hanson, and Leegan will all vouch for my being an asshole. ;)

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Baker, Beeze, Hanson, and Leegan will all vouch for my being an asshole. ;)

Blues,
Dave

Now, that's a scary bunch! They don't come any wilder than that, but then again, they are fun to hang with.....Steve1

Hey, put me on that list of vouching you being an asshole.

blues,
madjohn

Hey, add my vote.

I don't think Sangiro has the bandwidth for me to name EVERYONE who thinks I'm an asshole. :P I was just naming a few of the Missoula folks who do! Still, I am feeling the love. :)

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

blues,
madjohn

Hey, add my vote.

I don't think Sangiro has the bandwidth for me to name EVERYONE who thinks I'm an asshole. :P I was just naming a few of the Missoula folks who do! Still, I am feeling the love. :)

Blues,
Dave

Ya know what though Davey ? Ive never met anyone who would attest that youre an asshole that wont also , in the same breath, say what a good guy you are. So there goes all your credibility...SWOOOSH.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

blues,
madjohn

Hey, add my vote.

Blues,
Dave

Ya know what though Davey ? Ive never met anyone who would attest that youre an asshole that wont also , in the same breath, say what a good guy you are. So there goes all your credibility...SWOOOSH.

Jeezus Jim, you're making me hard over here! :$:D Race ya to 5000? ;)

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Jeezus Jim, you're making me hard over here! :$:D Race ya to 5000? ;)

Blues,
Dave

Ten years ago I would have taken that race. I'm getting a little long in the tooth and am hoping I can make it to 3k.

bozo

Ten years ago I would have taken that race. I'm getting a little long in the tooth and am hoping I can make it to 3k.

I believe we already agreed you'll make 3k, even if I have to bring a tandem rig or two down there and carry your ol' busted up ass. :P

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

[replyI believe we already agreed you'll make 3k, even if I have to bring a tandem rig or two down there and carry your ol' busted up ass. :P

Blues,
Dave

Fuck that....i rode on a tandem front once...never again . Thats some scarey shit

bozo