scottbre

USPA A-License Check Dive Flow

Well, I am considering doing my check dive this afternoon so that I can get signed off on my proficiency card, but I seem to have found a discrepancy in the 2001 SIM. It is as follows.
On page 15 under the heading License Exam Instructions it says that an instructor must make a dive with the student to test their basic abilities (the check dive). It then lists the flow of the check dive. Number 4 in the flow it says the student is to perform 2 figure-8's and a backloop.
But then on page 96 under the heading USPA A-License Check Dive Flow, the 8th bulletted item says that the candidate must perform "a figure-8 and backloop."
So which is it? 2 figure-8's or one. Any opinions on this one?
In an argument, you can never prove you're right. The best you can do is prove that they are more wrong.

Your JM should breif and rehearse the dive with you on the ground to be clear about all performance objectives required to complete the dive in a satisfactory manner. Any questions you have on the dive should be addressed at this time. You're reading ahead for the requirements and preparing for the dive in advance, this shows your head is in the game. You shouldn't have any problems squaring it away before you jump. Good luck and congrats in advance.
;)

Well it's not a huge deal. I can do the style set with 2 figure-8's or 1, but my thinking is that if I only have to do one, that will give me more time to dock, which is the only part of the dive that I am concerned about.
It looks like in the process of revised the SIM something got overlooked. I'm just wondering which one is the new requirement.
:)In an argument, you can never prove you're right. The best you can do is prove that they are more wrong.

Don't sweat it. Your instructors are there to help you succeed. Rehearse the jump with them, play it in your head, relax and have fun. That's what my instructors keep telling me.
I wanted to get that jump out of the way so I could start paying the same price as other jumpers. Not the flat $50 per jump as a student.
That gave me the incentive to save remaining $$$ and put it towards my rig fund so I could buy my own gear after I got my A license.
And it worked.

Scot,
I just checked my yellow "USPA A-license Proficiency Card and Application". On the back under "A-License Check Dive" it says "Adv. Criteria - Backloop, figure 8, dock from 20 feet; break off, track 100 feet; pack; oral quiz (min. 20 questions from Category quizzes).
Looks like it should be only one figure 8. I hope this helps.
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.

A figure at is a 360 followed by a 360 in the other direction.

That is how it was explained to me by a couple of instructors at different DZ's around FL, they called it the old style routine.
--
Give them a sip of the darkside, and they just thirst for more.

UPDATE:
I did my checkdive on the sunset/nightfall load on Friday. I mentioned the discrepancy in the SIM to my instructor beforehand and he said he wanted me to do a figure-8, backloop, figure-8, and then dock on him. On the jump before the check dive, I had done a solo and did figure-8, backloop, figure-8, left barrell roll, right barrell roll, and still had time to track for 10 seconds or so before opening at around 4k. So I wasn't too worried about being able to do the needed styleset. The docking was the only thing that worried me.
Anyway, did the jump and had the manuevers and dock done by 6k. It was 5 minutes from dark when I landed, but the jump was successful, and I was able to get my A license proficiency card signed off, just in time to drive up to Chicagoland Skydive for a non-stop weekend, that included 11 more jumps. :)Thanks for the input everyone.
In an argument, you can never prove you're right. The best you can do is prove that they are more wrong.