efs4ever

Texxas 20 way McGregor

Wow! Haven't seen that shot in a long time. But I've just gotten back after a 20-year layoff.

Welcome back.....I took a 25 year break, and started up about five years ago. We need more old farts back jumping again.....Steve1

Yeah....Sure....you guy come back NOW...

After all the HARD work is done!!:P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

uote]

Yeah....Sure....you guy come back NOW...

After all the HARD work is done!!:P

I always was a lazy bastard....but aren't you glad I'm back???[:/] Who knows, maybe one of us old geezers from the past will do something marvelous to change the sport forever more.

If nothing else, some of us are good for entertainment purposes. I know I wowed everyone at Lost Prairie two years ago with a low pull. Everything is so confusing now days with all these new fangled dytters, lace up chest straps, automatic openners,. What will they think up next?....Steve1 (The "Slacker")

Don't know about you...but the airplanes sure sound and smell funny compared to 'those' dayz!

Theres just something about the sound of a P&W radial that is without equal........a lot better sound than that whiney high pitched turbine buzz:P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turbines Have Ruined Aviation!!

We must get rid of turbines.

They are ruining aviation.

We need to go back to big round engines.
Anybody can start a turbine, you just need to
move a switch from "OFF" to
"START" and then remember to move it back
to "ON" after a while.

My PC is more difficult to start. Cranking a round engine
requires skill, finesse and style. On some planes, the
pilots are not even allowed to do it. Turbines start by
whining for a while, then give a small lady-like poot and
start whining louder.

Round engines give a satisfying rattle-rattle, click-click
BANG, more rattles, another BANG, a big macho fart or two,
more clicks, a lot of smoke and finally a serious low
pitched roar. We like that. It's a guy thing. When you
start a round engine, your mind is engaged and you can
concentrate on the flight ahead.

Starting a turbine is like flicking on a ceiling fan:
Useful, but hardly exciting.

Turbines don't break often enough, leading to aircrew
boredom,complacency and inattention. A round engine at
speed looks and sounds like it's going to blow at any
minute. This helps concentrate the mind.

Turbines don't have enough control levers to keep a
pilot's attention.There's nothing to fiddle with during
the flight.

Turbines smell like a Boy Scout camp full of Coleman
lanterns.

Round engines smell like God intended flying machines to smell.

:)

Middle fellow, can't remember his name, went in on a demo a few years later. No or low pull.

I think its Jeff Kaplan.....

Hi Clark,

Good to hear from you......you still see any of the old
"Bird's Nest" crowd?

Yep, it was Kaplan. Thanks. Anyone else in the photo who's not with us?

No - I lost track of everyone for many years. But when I started up at Salado this summer, three were there: Mike Wear, David Sebesta and Bob Futrell. Unfortunately, Rich closed the DZ about 2 weeks ago. Sure hope someone buys it. Was very convenient.
Nice, and a little weird, to see so many oldsters on the DZ. Remember when we thought anyone over 40 had to have a note from the doctor?
BTW: Anyone from old-days in Texas may remember Merrilee Lafferty who I trained in 1968 when she was 15, circa 1968. Jumped at Valley Mills. Merrilee is running for District Judge for a new district court created in the last legislative session. Hope she wins. Send her some money. I did.
Clark

You are sleeping in the back of your truck, had a hard night of trying to out doing each other and your mouth has fuss growing in it. You are afraid to open your eyes because your brain will fall out of the holes.

Off in the distance you hear a low rumble. It gets louder and louder. You look over the tailgate just as a D-18 roars past, the tail up and fire coming from the short stacks. The sweet sound of twin P/W’s and you know all is well in your world.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

You are sleeping in the back of your truck, had a hard night of out doing each other and your mouth has fuss growing in it. You are afraid to open your eyes because your brain will fall out of the holes.

Off in the distance you hear a low rumble.

It gets louder and louder.

You look over the tailgate just as a D-18 roars past, the tail up and fire coming from the short stacks.

The sweet sound of twin P/W’s and you know all is well in your world.

Sparky

Awwww STOP!:$

I'm gettin' all TEARY EYED!!B|B|B|

Brings back fond memories of Casa Gulch..........

Semi-conscious in a sleeping bag near a taxi way (on the hard pack sand:S)being awakened by landing lights and a D18 running up for a "sunrise" load:S

Never jumped at Casa Grande, but heard plenty of wild tales about the place from friends who were there.

Your story does remind me of Kalispell, Mt. back in the early 70's. On Friday after work, we'd make as many jumps as we could till dark hit. Then down to Moose's Saloon we'd go, till it shut down for the night. Dave Tousey, Nick Tousey, Fred Sands, Pug, Gordy Listor, Jock, and others were our mentors during this time period.

Most of us would crash at the club's hangar. At sun-rise there was usually a formation load with a couple of Cessna's. It was a struggle trying to get up, find your motorcycle helmet, frenchies, main, jump suit, and belly reserve, and then crawl in the back of the plane for a few more winks.

Then a few thousand feet up, there was usually this god-awful beer fart from some sick-annominous-bastard that would really help to sober up everyone on board. After the jump we'd all go to down to some Ma and Pop's restauraunt and eat breakfast. Awe, this was just like Thanksgiving at Grandma's house. After all we were all kind of like family.

Then back to the airport for more jumps. Then down to Mooses for more Celebration time. Then up early the next morning for another formation load. Until finally the weekend ended and we all stumbled back to work on Monday.

You had to be tough to survive all that. Most of us had gutter gear, and the rules were sometimes broken... but you know, nobody ever bounced in the Osprey Parachute Club that I knew. There was definitely some scary times. Like the time Fred went through the power lines under a 24 foot reserve, and shut the power off on that side of Kalispell. But to tell you the truth, I can't recall many happier times than jumping with that group during the 70's.....Steve1

I've retired and am living on our farm in Western Kentucky now but plan on being back in Dallas for Christmas but we're going to Reno from there for New Years. Don't know when I'll get the chance to stop by Houston though. Really would like to see you guys though. Say hi to your mom, bro and sis for me.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

I was in the first Montana 15-way back in the summer of 75. I wish I had some pictures, but maybe someone recalls this happening. This is small doings by todays standards, but kind of a big deal (back then).

We rented a DC-3 from the smoke-jumpers in Missoula. A couple of Jerry Bird's team-mates were traveling through and one of them organized our load. I can't recall their names, but they were on Jerry Bird's All Stars. B.J. Worth was also on the load, but this was long before he became the famous organizer he is today.

Anyhow John Andrus and I closed 14 and 15th, which was the state record at the time. Heck, I can't even recall who "all" was on that load. There was Larry Mason, Tom Kaiser, Billy Blair, I think Jim Maxson and John Ward. Oh shit, I wish I had taken the time to at least write the names down and take a picture. I guess, no picture....It never happened right?

I'm sure B.J. remembers this load though. He's one of the very few of us old Montanians who still jumps. And he really doesn't look like a fat old fart either, (like the rest of us do!) I wonder how he keeps so young looking? Maybe he eats fewer twinkies and drinks less beer, and even exercises?.....Steve1

I have a log book entry of being in a 20 way penta-diamond on March 26th,1978

"Exit 1st floater,closed 20th,complete by 6 grand,base 5 good,smooth flying by everyone,I had trouble keeping up towards the end(formation got floaty)broke to diamonds and tracked them away"

I didnt record this as being the first,so I suspect there had been some done earlier at Spaceland possibly on 3/12/78?????when I participated in a 20 cluster????Or possibly before that??????

Old timers,let me hear from you!:)
Marc SCR 6046 SCS 3004

I'm sitting in a hotel about 8 miles from the site of the above noted twenty way.

The field that Swain put me onto (across the street from the airport) is now a sub division. It was my 20th jump and my first "unpoised" exit. I remember that jumpers had to nail a small patch of grass near the tarmac due to crops growing nearby. I guess he didn't think I could get there, so he flew me over a bare field and told me to land in the middle.

Another note. Hotel clerk sees my plate (SKY DIV) and offers a free room for a jump. B|

I guess I'll be calling on Aggieland for help someday soon. :)
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

Thanks for posting the pics. I remember those days. Correct - Jeff Kaplan went in on a demo, about in 1975 give or take a few years. (Guess that is a few years back for Clark)

McGregor was a ton of fun, and I never took a picture then so I am enjoying yours now.

You there the weekend we tried to put Dave Sickler's VW bug in the back of the DC-3?

Ed Naylor
D-5063, scr-3696,nscr-930, aff jm, Senior rigger, etc. etc....

Cool pics of the good ole days, but the one I'd like to see is the one that no one took of us trying to stuff Sickler's car into the DC-3; guess we all had our hands full. We had most of the car in but it would not make the turn.

There are at least several Texxas Twenties at Spaceland in my log book before the McGregor Meet, including the two Markd mentioned, and a twentyfive the week after. Also, I made several team jumps that day at McGregor but no 20 ways...

the one I'd like to see is the one that no one took of us trying to stuff Sickler's car into the DC-3; guess we all had our hands full. We had most of the car in but it would not make the turn.

I sure remember that! What an awesome idea, and it sure looked like ti would fit. When it was up and resting, sort of, someone said "wait a sec -- i want to check something" and Svec said "your mother."
Apparently it was heavy :P

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

the one I'd like to see is the one that no one took of us trying to stuff Sickler's car into the DC-3; guess we all had our hands full. We had most of the car in but it would not make the turn.

I sure remember that! What an awesome idea, and it sure looked like ti would fit. When it was up and resting, sort of, someone said "wait a sec -- i want to check something" and Svec said "your mother."
Apparently it was heavy :P

Svec was being a crybaby, but I have to admit it was a bit disheartening when the car wouldn't quite fit, which was probably the best thing that could have happened to Sickler; how the heck would he have ever gotten the car back out without us...

Wendy W.

Someone got hold of my picture and put it in this site. There are other interesting old shots.

The attached photo came whizzing through the ether the other day from Z'hills, along with a query on who it is. I think it's the Valley Mills team after the '71 Turkey Meet, with Ron Cox standing 2nd from left and Phil Mayfield in the cowboy hat. Can any Texas skydiving historians identify the others?
Hoop