Trae

Any turbine DC3's operating out there?

in reply to "Are you sure it was Rutherford in early 80's? "

Pretty sure . Corowa is flat as a tack and I believe that's the edge of the hunter valley in the background of photo.

You'd remember a lot more DC3 stuff than me. They were getting a bit thin on the ground in the 80's but you 70's guys got to have lot more fun in them earlier.

I'd love to get back in one again. No complaints from me about the time to height. Couldn't believe at first how that dunny in the back just dumped fully into the atmosphere. Some places got a bit more fertilised than others.;)

Last thing I heard the South African Air Force and some Central American Air Force were operating Basler-converted turbine DC-3s.

The Central american ones may be Basler conversions but the SAAF use a local conversion with -65s instead of the -67 engines in the Basler. There's a company called Dodson which is American owned that operates a number of ex SAAF C47TPs all over Africa, mainly in war zones for the UN and ICRC.

I jumped on the other week when we did the 960 person world record demo into the new international airport in Bangkok.
The Royal Thai Airforce have a few of them, three of which were used for the demo (along with 8 or 9 Herc's and a G-222).
They refer to them as BT-67's and the World Team website says that are "highly modified turbo-charged C-47's which carry 44 skydivers to exit altitude in only 15 minutes".

We took off from the existing Bangkok international airport (where this shot was taken by Gary 'Swoop' Wainwright), flew over to the new airport which is on the other side of the city and exited at 8000'.

I've only done one other jump from a DC3, and that was almost 20 years ago, so comparing the two aircraft is a bit difficult for me.
The BT-67 certainly felt smooth and powerful, and gave the impression that it was capable of climbing quite fast with a full load onboard.

Pete.