dan0kun

touch hands before exit

we only got to see the movie Gypsy Moth's in the theatre once. (quote)

We had a 16mm film reel copy that was played a lot.
I wish I knew where that reel was today, it would be a good DIVE-IN saturday nite at the dz.B|
Guess we'll have to just show the dvd...

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

One guy that I knew had a habit of looking quizzically at a student as the plane was climbing out and saying, "I see a cross floating above your helmet!"

We didn't bump knuckles, slap palms, or anything like that, but one potential tradition that was done, but never caught on, was taking the keys out of the switch before exiting at 12,500'

One guy that I knew had a habit of looking quizzically at a student as the plane was climbing out and saying, "I see a cross floating above your helmet!"

We didn't bump knuckles, slap palms, or anything like that, but one potential tradition that was done, but never caught on, was taking the keys out of the switch before exiting at 12,500'

Any jump pilot worth a shit always[/b carried a spare Cesna key when flying jumpers.:P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Of course, exit counts took longer too
"one potato two potato three potato four
five potato six potato out the fucking door"

Wendy W.

I did this exact same exit at Old Farts Reunion 2004 with Bob Sinclair.

I'm 34. It was fun, top dude.
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

The "Potato" exit count caught me once in 1980 at Perris. I was rear float and was gone by "Two Potato." I didn't hear the rest of that funky count until I got back on the ground after a solo jump (spent entirely in a reverse arch) and asked, "Just what the f#ck was that count!?"

It kind of makes me uncomfortable. I feel awkward doing it because I'm never sure exactly what I should be doing. Old school I guess.

I like the social aspect of a simple 2 finger touch with one's buddies in the sky.

But for some years in the late '90s, at the Cessna DZ I frequent, the hand touch routine sometimes varied greatly, when some jumpers tried to be a little too cool.

The hand touches and their associated hand & finger motions became like an elaborate secret handshake.

I wasn't pleased with the distraction of routines that seemed to need more dirt diving than the skydive itself.

Any jump pilot worth a shit always carried a spare Cesna key when flying jumpers.:P

Sparky

Didn't always help.... When I was off static line and doing my first 5, 10, and 15 second delays I had a military 4 pin main container (I think a B-4), pretty standard at the time. I used to get the best cuts on jump run (not that I knew one cut from another). On one of my 30 second delays later, I dived out the door of the 182 instead of climbing out like I used to and didn't go anywhere at all. The Pilot had me by the ankle and was just laughing hardily at me. Later on the ground, he told me he owed me that for turning off the fuel selector in the 182 every time I was against the instrument panel while doing my student jumps. Apparently, my container was long enough to just catch the lever while I rotated into the door. The Pilot (Mike Patterson if you've been around a very long time) had no trouble handling the problem, but after a while he built up a pay-back attitude toward me and finally got me :S

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Hi Kun,
The touchy feelie thing, who knows?? Around ground society thereare all kindsof cool handshakes that transent the traditional clasp hands greeting. The "Beat" generation of the 50's had the cool touching palms flat and sliding away slowly. I was there way of saying,"We cool dad-e-o!!" The pre-launch stacking of hands, final words from the organizer and practice count (there are many),"Heathens, Yeah<<>>>White>>>Women!!!!!!, "Eat,>>>F*ck,>>>Skydive!!!!" The list is endless!! It's just more of grown up (?????)people playing,"one potatoe-two potatoe!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

The "Beat" generation of the 50's had the cool touching palms flat and sliding away slowly.

I'm hip, Daddy SkyB ... gimme some skin!

Then there was the military (primarily Vietnam, and predominantly black) practice of "dapping" that quickly spilled over into the civilian culture and became so complex that it was almost dance.

So I was just talking about this with my wife this evening and then read this thread - wierd. In the 60's we didn't do it and I can't really say about much of the 70's and on cause I took an extended vacation from FF for the past 30 years. It took me by surprise the first jump I made a few weeks ago but hey, go with the flow.

Our "saying" came after the PLF (they were all plf's) and it was simply "Cheated death again!" Thank God for square chutes and Advil.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.