tonybrogdon

Riptide Helicopter - aka Screaming Mimi- Perris 1985

How many remember jumping the TV program "Riptide"'s helicopter nicknamed the Screaming Mimi at Perris for several weekends at Perris when the Otter was down for maintenance in 1985? It was like riding an elevator. On one load though, one of the turbine belts broke and we bailed out over Sun City at 10 grand.
Tony Brogdon
D-12855

I remember jumping from the "Riptide" helicopter. Damn, was that thing a sight!

Around the same time ('85?), diecast models of the pink beast were selling in stores. I bought a couple of them and gave them to my wife's little brothers. Recently, I was wishing I would have held on to one of them - they're pretty hard to find now.

After wheeling and dealing on e-bay for awhile, I managed to purchase one of the original models. Didn't pay the same price as I did 20 years ago, but still a lot of fun to have.

Russ

We used to static line out of a similiar chopper in the military during the 70's. The one we jumped was called an H-34 Choctaw (If I remember right). It had one small door on the right side. It even saw service in Vietnam, before hueys became the main helicopter over there. I think the Marines were about the last units to have it...Steve1