CDRINF

Fort Campbell Sport Parachute Club Closes

I am very sorry to announce that after operating since April 1958, the Fort Campbell Sport Parachute Club closed this summer. The operation lost much of its financial viability when it lost the use of military aircraft 4 years ago. The manager worked very hard to secure commercial aircraft and off-post arrangements. He departed this summer to pursue educational opportunities. The installation recreation services office decided not to hire a new manager and closed the club.

I was heavily involved with the club during two tours at Fort Campbell (1987-1991 & 1998-2001), and intend to write an article for "Parachutist" about the history of the club. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who would like to contribute recollections or photos about the club, especially it's early days and how it operated during the Vietnam era.

Chris Reed
D-15996

Wow, really sorry to hear that the military's oldest skydiving club is closing. I was a member of the club (and on the team) from 1977 - 1979. That's where I learned to jump. Kurt Eckstein ran the club back in those days, and basically owned the place. Kurt became the club's first fatality in May of '78 after 20 years of fatality free jumping. The club was closed for a short while during the investigation but later opened again. I had a blast jumping at Fort Campbell, and still jump with a couple of guys that I learned with while stationed there. Some of my fondest memories are of jumping out on Son dz and hanging out at the club afterward. We were spoiled rotten jumping from Hueys four days a week.

Russ Pinney
Screaming Eagles Parachute Team '78 - '79

That's a real bummer.

Having been involved with a DZ in South Georgia with Fort Stewart nearby we often got guys passing thru that had jumped Ft Campbell. As a matter of fact I think the guy that started the DZ initially, Terry something, came from there.

It's like the loss of an old institution like VMI or when the Citadel admitted women. (I may get hell for that!)

What a shame...

Same thing happened at Fort Rucker several years earlier.

Back in the late 1970's, Campbell, Rucker and Bragg had the most active dropzones.

What is going on at Bragg now days?

One thing I also recently found out from a JAG lawyer. Skydiving injuries are no longer considered "Line Of Duty".

Oh Nathan Dear.. Put Ft Lewis

That was already ahead of Fort Campbell anyway. I'd love to come to sunny Fort Lewis, WA.....wait a minute......what I mean is I'd love to come to Fort Lewis.

Really, Ft. Lewis is right at the top of my list. I love it there!!

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

What is going on at Bragg now days?

Bragg went from three clubs (18th Corps, 82nd, Green Beret) down to two in the early 80's. It just went down to one club this past year when the 82nd club was shut down and both clubs merged over in the GB club (technically an "activity" now) building. The consolidated club operates out of one of the old "horse barns" on main post on the corner of Jackson and Macomb streets. The club primarily jumps at Skydive Parkton for student operations, but has not had free blade time in nearly a decade.

One thing I also recently found out from a JAG lawyer. Skydiving injuries are no longer considered "Line Of Duty".

That is absolutely untrue. Never has any military sanctioned recreational activity injury not been covered. Military jump clubs formerly operated off of MWR (Morale, Welfare, Recreation) funds, but are now NAF funded.

Fort Bragg still has four jump teams/organizations. The 82nd still has a full-time team run by SFC Will Flemming; the Green Beret Parachute Team is made up of both active duty and retired soldiers and is run out of the GBSPA building and is funded by JFKSWC; the USASOC parachute team is a full-time, all active duty team currently run by MSG Johnny Mulford; and of course the USAPT "golden knights" are there.