dbattman

Just watched 'Gypsy Moths'

I just finished 'The Gypsy Moths' coutesy of Netflix. If you can get through the 70 minutes of drama, some of the skydiving sequenced are pretty coolt. I liked the special feature about the skydivers themselves on the DVD version. Some of the multi-canopy shots were pretty good, and the tear-away jumpsuit had me laughing hard.

Someone told me about a movie where the camera man had a Polaroid mounted on his helmet. Anyone know the name? I'll add it to my list.

When my Mom visited our dropzone back in 1965, my brother and I went to 7500 ft and I took a Polaroid of him in freefall. After opening my chute, I pulled the "tab" and by the time I was on the ground, the picture was developed, and I gave it to our Mom. She then signed our log books.

I had taken quite a few polaroids, always with a hand held camera.

Bill Cole D-41

I've managed to collect most of the movie posters for the Gypsy Moths. Some 8x10 lobby cards, one a three way, one the multi colored rounds, an English full size poster, a Austrailian tall skinny version, and a couple of other full size ones. If and when I get my basement remodel done I have a theme.B|
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Ya know, I actually enjoyed both the skydiving and the drama in GM. It was interesting to see Burt Lancaster and Gene Hackman in their younger days. And Deborah Kerr was pretty sexy in a MILF sort of way. The romantic tension between her attraction to the daring skydiver and her comfortable-but-too-predictable home life was well done, and I think legitimate. I just thought all the hand-wringing about the dreaded "cape stunt" was a little over the top.

Here's a bit of interesting trivia about that movie. To get the correct crowd reaction when Burt Lancaster goes in cameras were mounted near the stands and a dummy was dropped and allowed to bounce in front of the spectators.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

>>Of course a dummy was dropped....did you really think it was Burt Lancaster? LOL <<

Sure it's a dummy, however the spectators didn't know it was coming so they thought what they saw was the real thing - the director got just the crowd reaction he wanted.

Since I don't think something has to blow up every ten seconds I've always enjoyed the "Drama" part . . .

And the stunts still hold up. The multi-canopy deployments with different color rounds is better than anything being done now . . . and nobody is doing triple cutaways today.

Nowadays too many demos are just swoop, twirl, panic, crash . . . :)
Nick :)BASE 194