INSANEDADDY

The Old Skydive Spaceland

Hi AD

>>Or maybe some proof to back up some of his wild-ass stories from the "old days."

>>

Uh >:( The 70's weren't the "old days". Just lots of fun, drugs, sex, more fun and rock & roll:)

Now everything is backwards sex & landing a perfectly good parachute can kill you.:S. But with the advantage of 20-20 hindsight even now everyday is a good day.B|

R.I.P.

& landing a perfectly good parachute can kill you.

I don't know...Doc (Don Stewart) swears he broke his ankle by "hook turning" his Para-Commander going downwind for a hit and chug.

I think he did it falling off the packing table with some blonde, but he swears it was a hook turn.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

He told the emergency room doctor that he broke it falling off the step of an airplane (insurance didn't cover skydiving injuries).

When asked how far that was, he held his hands out about a yard apart and said "about this far from the door to the bottom of the wheels." He admitted as how he didn't share that the bottom of the wheel was 3000' off the ground :ph34r:.

Generally people broke ankles on landings then; not whole bodies. Landing injuries almost never made it into the fatality summaries; you pretty much had to drown or hit something.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

He told the emergency room doctor that he broke it falling off the step of an airplane (insurance didn't cover skydiving injuries).

When asked how far that was, he held his hands out about a yard apart and said "about this far from the door to the bottom of the wheels."

NICE! That's awsome.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

When asked how far that was, he held his hands out about a yard apart and said "about this far from the door to the bottom of the wheels."

NICE! That's awsome.B|

Like WMW says Back in the good old day's (pre cell phone, hangers, trailers in door packing etc). The landing injuries even from a "hook turn" or a O-NO on a hot dog PC or rag were relativily mild. Broken ankles, legs were not unusual.

Someone get hurt? Back in the day :(

Ambulance? Hassle with Insurance etc:( It was more efficent to load the jumper into his own car stop on the way to the hospital to P.U. the S.O. and drive to the hospital.:)
Arrive at the ER borrow a gurney wheel the dude in.:) Dr "what happened" Us "fell out of tree".;)

No reason to confuse the issue with the facts:| The dudes got some broken leg bones. Insurance covers falling out of trees and roofs.

These days a lot of times you absolutely have to have a ambulance/helicopter due to the horrific injuries. Hard to fall out of a tree or roof in the middle of a field.

Just the way it was.

R.I.P.

R.i.P.

As for Doc, he still bullshits pretty well on short notice.

Huh?!? Doc bullshits?!?
He told me all that stuff was the honest truth :o:o:o:P

Maybe I was young and impressionable in those days?:)

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

One rainy Sat. afternoon the beer lite went on early, everyone retired to Houston Parachute Service, in La Porte, Tx. for R&R. After a 'beer or two' Carl Maroon and I, fully geared up, launched a two way off of the 40' long packing table. We managed to get seperation for opening but never got the ripcord handle out of the pocket before impact! I have this jump logged on 3/4/72 and signed off by Gary A. Ward D-2226. Those were the good old days and the beer was COLD. Don-SCR-1980

I'm pretty sure that's Anna Keeling; but she hasn't logged in here in about a year. In another thread she mentioned that she had a Thunderbow.

In the small world department, I rode in the same Harley group with her ex brother-in-law about 10 years ago...

Wendy W.

I used to go out to Spaceland when i was a kid and watch. I didn't have the money or there was always something holding me back from jumping. I was fascinated with the Dehavilland Otter. I would watch it take off from the Metroport on hwy 3. I never had the opportunity to meet you or your dad. But he sure was well known around here. Now I am an avid jumper at the new Spaceland and wish I would have started jumping back then. Some say there will never be another DZ like the old Spaceland.

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.
-BASE 1605 Night BASE 227

I just broke down and created a photo gallery of my very own. Old Spaceland pictures (duh).

PM for names, or we can have a guessing contest. I don't know what the pictures approval method is, but if you can't see them now, you'll be able to later.

Wendy W.