darkwing

DH Heron aircraft?

I've been going through my logbooks (30 years, 2000+ jumps) and tabulating things. It has been very interesting, and made me very glad I logged diligently. Anyway, my logbook says that I jumped a DeHavilland Heron, in Moberly, Missouri, in 1985. I don't remember it, and when I look up that aircraft on the web it doesn't ring a bell either. What I find on the web is a large, 4-engine thingy. Does anyone remember jumping such an airplane? My logbook says I did a couple of 15-ways out of it.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I dont think there is such an aircraft as the DH Heron. The first was the single otter, then the Bever, then the twin potter and the Turbo Beaver, then the cariboo, and the Buffalo, from there you go to passenger aircraft of the DASH 7 and DASH 8 series, and so on. I live near DH (no Bombardier) in the Toropnto area, I've been in their plant many times at Canadian Forces Base Downsview, and never heard of a Heron Bill Cole

I seeits listed as Corporate Executive aircraft. I have never seen or heard of them at the DH plant in Downsview. They must have been built exclusively in England. I have been o n the assembly line here, and never even heard them mentioned.Thanks for the update. BILL

I cant say I've heard of the DOVE either. DH also had a twin engine Rapide and another similar back in the 1920s. They were plywood covered, ugly as sin, but apparently quite stable. A Bristish parachute team (way back when) used one as a jump platform. In Canada, only things they built were Single Otters, twin otters, buffalo,cariboo, single Beaver, and turbo Beaver...and then to the Dash series. I once flew a hot air balloon covered with instruments as a stable platform and DH flew a Dash 8 twin directly at the balloon over and over again. You could see its lights about 20 miles off, and getting bigger all the time, until SWOOSH...it shot passed my balloon. I could have spit on its wing, and then the turbulent wake struck and I bounced all over the place. Great fun...as long as the DASH 8 didnt clobber me. rgaqrds, BILL COLE

There used to be a commuter airline in Dallas that flew Herons, worked with a guy that flew for them and I saw them several times at Love Field. Watched a Dove taxi into a Piper Cherokee 140 one day and it took the nose off the Cherokee when the portside prop struck it.

As far as skydiving out of a Heron, someone back in the early 80s told me about jumping one and how hard it was to get tight exits because a spar that was about a foot high ran thru the rear of the cabin. Might have been the same aircraft that you are refering to.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

I've been going through my logbooks (30 years, 2000+ jumps) and tabulating things. It has been very interesting, and made me very glad I logged diligently. Anyway, my logbook says that I jumped a DeHavilland Heron, in Moberly, Missouri, in 1985. I don't remember it, and when I look up that aircraft on the web it doesn't ring a bell either. What I find on the web is a large, 4-engine thingy. Does anyone remember jumping such an airplane? My logbook says I did a couple of 15-ways out of it.

The Heron and Dove were small corporate type planes (not unlike a King Air) dating back to the late 40s early 50s. The Dove was a twin and the Heron had 4 engines. Queen Elizabeth II had a personal Heron for a number of years.

DH aircraft ugly? Take a look at the Tiger Moth, Comet Racer, Mosquito, and Comet IV jetliner.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Jeff, I'm sure you jumped a Heron at Moberly, because we jumped it in Sparta a number of times. And your name sure does sound familiar! I looked at your web site with your skydiving history, and you don't look familiar in the picture, and that picture was not that much earlier than when I must have met you. I started in 81 at Sparta, and jumped at Cuba. MO, Moberly a couple times, Jonesburg, MO, FB Convention, Muskogee, etc.

Yep, I was in Moberly as well for the Heron, even bought a T Shirt with the aircraft on it. Climbed slower that a DC3 and needed a copilot because it was a 4 engine ac.
Door was really small, and to get full altitude they put out a 4 way at about 7500. Came from Lexington MO to jump it.
I remember that they tried to get a student out of the door and he refused to go. Held on to the door frame and no one could move him.

Benny
I live with fear and terror, but sometimes I leave her and go skydiving.

In Canada, only things they built were Single Otters, twin otters, buffalo,cariboo, single Beaver, and turbo Beaver...and then to the Dash series.

If you want to be picky, deHavilland of Canada started by assembling kits manufactured in Britain: various Moths ...
During the Second World War, DHC started making Tiger Moths from scratch, then built hundreds of Mosquito bombers.
After the war, DHC started designing their own airplanes:
DHC-1 Chipmunk
DHC-2 Beaver
DHC-3 single-engine Otter
DHC-4 Cariboo
DHC-5 Buffalo
DHC-6 Twin Otter
DHC-7
DHC-8

Only the Dash 8 is still made in Toronto.
Viking recently started making Twin Otters in Victoria.

I care. Jumping rare plane is cool in my book. Drover is a VERY rare jumpship. Wasn't it used in the Flying Doctor Service in Aus?

My best so far is the ATL 98 Carvair jumped at WFFC in Rantoul Illinois. Fortunately many others snagged this rare bird in their logbooks.

Best I have seen on this website is a guy who jumped a Russian TU 95 bear strategic bomber, kind of a B 52 type plane with 4 HUGE contrarotating turboprops.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

For the 25th anniversary of the Auckland Parachute Club/Auckland Skydivers we made jumps from an Air New Zealand Fokker Friendshp. It wasnt a great jumpship as they sill had all the seats and it was a single filer exit with a tight right turn out the door. Also the exit speed was quite high. Jumps strung out for quite a distance.
I believe the Auckland Drover (ZK-DDD?) is now in Australia, I dont know if it ever fly for the flying doctors, but other might have.
...Paul

Yes, there was a DH Heron used as a jump aircraft in the central US in 1985. It was based at my "home" drop zone of Chandler, Oklahoma, at the time. The plane was built, originally for commuter airlines. The power plant was a little odd. The plane had 4 Lycoming piston engines of about 280 HP. The plane was VERY slow climbing - It seemed able to only climb when flying in a straight line. The spar, across the floor was in the way of exits. Yes, the plane had to make a low pass at about 9000 ft to put out part of the load to be able to climb on to 12000 ft. With 4 engines, it was quite fuel hungry.

All combined to make a poor jump plane. The group that bought the plane never made any money with it.
the plane was repossed during the winter of 85-86.

Thank you Varmit, you are so very correct and...it flew Texas jumpers at least at Hillsboro, TX (at the "Y" of IH-35 South of DFW), and Lockhart, TX. Only plane where darn near everyone took reading material with them. Wing Spar was at least a foot tall if not moreso. A great 4 engine jump A/C for those who didn't get a chance to jump that DC-4 out in CA. Ya hearin' me XL!?!?!***

Here hold my beer while I kiss your girlfriend

In the late 60s I used to see a DH Heron flying regularly over the SF Bay Area. There were at least two used by a scheduled airline flying pax between some SF Bay Area airport and San Luis Obispo CA.
It had a unique sound, like 4 Cessnas in formation.
I read somewhere that the UK engines had been replaced by Lycomings. It seemed to be flying pretty fast.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

For the 25th anniversary of the Auckland Parachute Club/Auckland Skydivers we made jumps from an Air New Zealand Fokker Friendshp. It wasnt a great jumpship as they sill had all the seats and it was a single filer exit with a tight right turn out the door. Also the exit speed was quite high. Jumps strung out for quite a distance.
I believe the Auckland Drover (ZK-DDD?) is now in Australia, I dont know if it ever fly for the flying doctors, but other might have.
...Paul

http://www.dhub.org/object/92192,mascot+new+south+wales
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.