dropdeded

High Alt. Attempt Info ??

Kittinger's an interesting guy... I've been trying to locate a copy of 'The Long Lonely Leap' for a couple of years without success - not only is it out of print, but it seems people who have a copy want to hold onto it, since I haven't located any on the used book sites either...

Kittinger claims to be responsible for the well-known and on-going myth of an alien ufo crash-landing around Roswell, NM,as well... It seems that before his manned expeditions to the outskirts of space, the military was sending up lots of unmanned balloons with advanced (for the time) instrumentation in New Mexico... This was usually at night, due to atmospheric and weather conditions... Hence the unusual number of ufo sightings in the area...

While at first they would not be in a hurry to chase down the vehicles at night after their return to earth, preferring to wait till daylight, it seems local farmers started to complain about livestock ingesting pieces of fabric from the shredded balloons with resulting health problems. Thereafter the military started to actively chase the balloons during their nightly missions to get to the landing areas before the material would be totally shredded and ingested by said livestock. This led to the reports of military forces racing through the night to sites of alien crash-landings.

Still later, as the deadline for manned missions to the outer reaches of the atmosphere approached, the team started sending mannequins up in the gondolas to get more detailed information on the stresses involved... This is what supposedly led to reports of skinny lifeless bodies of bald and sexless aliens being recovered by military crisis teams and stored in locked hangars on military bases in the dead of night...

This information, if it is true, shows that Kittinger had a far greater impact on popular culture through these missions to space than just the jumps themselves, well-known as they may have been to us skydivers...

Anyone interested can just do an internet search on Kittinger to find out more...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

The Canadian High Altitude records is actually 36,916 ft which is 11,252.019 meters sett on April 7th 1973 over Baldwin Ontario. After CSPA kicked me out for going on television and saying things they didnt like, Buzz Bennett (CSPA Director) and his colleahues decided to devise a second set of records so they wouldnt have to recognize mine. Its what is know as the ENRON sundrome. Buss has also E-Mailed other jumpers ( I have a copy) that I dropped a woman student and as a result she is a paraplegic. NOT TRUE. Another CSPA current female director has also E-Mailed ( I have a copy) that I broke the woman's back. NOT TRUE. The woman landed incorrectly and broke her tailbone. Although it is a painful injury (I've broken mine twice) it means little more than "no tail" for a few weeks.CSPA never gets their facts straight, and when it refers to me, they do so intentionally. Oh Well...HO HUM. B.Cole D41

The "grand saut" has been postponed until September due to the flight director having heart problems.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey