PhreeZone

Look at others gear while on video

I was filming a fairly simple 8 way this weekend and it funneled at one point. As soon as it funnelled I sped up to get the framing right. I happend to notice something flaping as I was coming down and had time to look the group over. What was flaping was a ROL had poped about half way out and was hanging in the breeze. I got scared and went low and on the other side of the formation to avoid a possible premature deployment getting me. As the jumper was reaching back to pull was the first she noticed that it was not tucked in any more.

Lessons that I thought can be learned from this non incident are if you are on video and it funnels take the time while getting the framing right to look over the formation to make sure no ones gear got messed with in the funnel.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The worst that I have seen was watching a reserve flap pop open while I was doing a 3 way wagon wheel with a few friends. Anyway as we were more or less kept winding it up (horizontally by this time). It could have been far worse, if it had popped and opened while were were all vertical I think that there would have been at least some very serious injuries or perhaps even fatalities. Needless to say it was not an experience that I want to see again!:o
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

I can, and does happen fairly often....

In Borneo, I had my reserve handle come out of its velcro during exit, same boogie some one's POD handle came out and was flapping around during the dive (we're putting the high speed exits on these ones.. the speed did manage to dislocate 3 or 4 shoulders dring the 2 weeks)... In Empuria, I saw another reserve handle flapping around...
Remster

During a mostly routine 8 way about a year ago, the exit funneled. One of the girls in it got hit on the closing pin
flap pretty good, the flap opened and the pin dislodged. Near the end of the dive she had planned to rodeo me for being last to the dirt dive, when she came at me, I sent her flipping away! We never knew anything was wrong until we watched the video! All 5 flaps were open right on exit. Luckly her container was tight enough that the D-bag stayed in place even with the bridle flapping in the wind, opening was normal.She never knew the difference!

"All 5 flaps were open right on exit..."

:o Wow! Now that's just about the most amazing thing I've ever heard regarding malfunctions, I'll definately pass this story on to my buddies! I'm happy it turned out OK!

You guys must have noticed this pretty soon in the dive... I bet she would have recognized the "POINTING / PULL IMMEDIATELY" hand signal we all learned during initial student training...

Just my 2c.

P.
---
P.
"It Hurts to Admit When You Make Mistakes -
But When They're Big Enough, the Pain Only Lasts a Second."

that IS lucky that the container was snug enough to keep the Dbag in...

... "POINTING / PULL IMMEDIATELY" hand signal we all learned during initial student training...

Huh?? I no how to point but How do I indicate "pull immediately"?

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

...but How do I indicate "pull immediately"?

To refresh your memory :)http://home.earthlink.net/~quade/skydive/handsignals/affhandsignals.html

How would you respond to the "PULL" signal?

This signal, combined with the scary expression on my fellow jumper's face, would most likely make me check if my gear looked/felt allright and I would probably consider pulling right away... I've read stories of experienced skydivers using this to indicate that something looks wrong with another jumper's gear...

Am I reaching too far with this idea? Personally, I think it's a good one...
---
P.
"It Hurts to Admit When You Make Mistakes -
But When They're Big Enough, the Pain Only Lasts a Second."