chemist

skydive kenosha?? Where is it???

http://www.kenoshaskydiving.com/

Why are skydiving businesses so weird about contact information? I've noticed a few dropzones that are not on google maps nor do their websites have an address or phone number to the actual dropzone. You just get directed to some adventure agency that books tandems all day.

Are these just tandem mills that don't like fun jumpers? Why else would they make it so hard for someone to call them or have an address so people can come in to watch/check out the DZ?

ok so based on the facebook page and pictures on there it appears like it exists, it actually looks like kenosha in the facebook pictures. The address is at an airport and it looks like a real phone number.

but the 'official' website looks sketchy for sure

chemist

ok so based on the facebook page and pictures on there it appears like it exists, it actually looks like kenosha in the facebook pictures. The address is at an airport and it looks like a real phone number.

I was not intending to insinuate that these were the same organization.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

SansSuit

***ok so based on the facebook page and pictures on there it appears like it exists, it actually looks like kenosha in the facebook pictures. The address is at an airport and it looks like a real phone number.

I did not mean to imply it is the same organization either, which is why I put 'official in quotation marks.

chemist

******ok so based on the facebook page and pictures on there it appears like it exists, it actually looks like kenosha in the facebook pictures. The address is at an airport and it looks like a real phone number.

I did not mean to imply it is the same organization either, which is why I put 'official in quotation marks.

There are only 4 real dropzones in Southeast Wisconsin not associated with Skyride

Skydive Milwaukee / Sky Knights - Club Operation, Turbine - East Troy
Skydive Midwest - Owned Center, Turbine - Sturtevant
Atmosphere - Owned, Cessna - Ft Atkinson
7Hills - Club, Cessna - Madison

I run / jump at Sky Knights so obviously suggest that and believe we have a better safety record. But of course my opinion is highly biased.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I don't get how DZs can be associated with skyride if skyride is a scam

The scam part, as far as the customer is concerned, is a bait-and-switch deal where photos 'suggest' one experience, but there is always some fine print somewhere explaining that 'your experience may vary depending on location'.

Another 'trick' they pull is to charge for things that are generally not an 'upcharge', like a 'big plane fee'. They'll tack on an extra $20 to jump out of a turbine if a DZ has one, as opposed to them rolling out the 182. We all know that the DZ will run the turbine if they have the people to fill it, not based on tandems paying extra.

There's a scam aspect that the customer doesn't see, and that's the 'scam' on the DZ. Skyride does little to no advertising outside of internet SEO, so the only people who Skyride gets their hands on are people who are already looking for a DZ.

If Bob from Smithtown decides he wants to jump, he could look up Smithtown skydiving and go jump. However, instead he gets the fake Skyride Smithtown website, and books his tandem through them. They do send him to Smithtown skydiving, but only after they take their cut of the profits, so Smithtown Skydiving ends up providing services to Bob from Smithtown at a discounted rate only because Skyride got their hands on Bob before they did.

So the real problem is that Bob was already a 'jumper' in that he decided on his own he wanted to jump, and let's say the internet didn't exist, he would have called Smithtown Skydiving and made a jump, no problem.

For Skyride to really 'earn' a cut of the profits, it would need to find new customers, like Steve, who also lives in Smithtown but never thought jumping was for him until he saw a great ad that Skyride was running. In that case Skyride had created a new customer, and thus had 'earned' a cut of the profits.

So the bigger part of the 'scam' is what Skyride (who is owned and run by jumpers) is doing to the DZs, not to the customers. They essentially 'snare' customers who are already searching for a DZ, and hold them hostage from the local DZs forcing them to service those customers at a discounted rate (tandem price minus the Skyride cut), or they will send them to another local DZ (or in some cases to a DZ 100 miles away). Without Skyride, these DZs would directly service these local customers and keep 100% of the profits, but instead Skyride sticks their nose into the business of local DZs all across the country, and weasels in on their profits.

NicoleMarie

World Skydiving Center in Kenosha is a real dropzone and is not associated with Skyride. It is a Cessna dz that is owned and run by a married skydiving couple. Really nice people.

The website given at the top of the thread is definitely a Skyride website.

Looks like they are trying to steal customers from World Skydiving Center. [:/]
Remster