KGSlam

Moving to Europe

Hey all,

I'm a newly licensed skydiver and am getting moved to Germany this November for 3 years with my job. Anyone with experience jumping there have any tips? Any major differences from the US besides the price hike? I currently jump at fly free skydiving near St Louis, a 182 drop zone, but have jumped at midsize drop zones as well.

Also I'd been planning on holding off getting gear until I downsize, anybody have any advice for that aspect of Europe? Is it harder to find rigs ect.? Thanks!
Governments never learn. Only people learn. - Milton Friedman

Gear, in Europe, is generally more expensive. Also, there isn't as much used gear going around it seems, so it may be harder to find.

Some countries (France for example) have a mandatory wing load limit for the first few 100 jumps. Not sure about Germany, but I'd check that before getting a rig.

There's some awesome DZ's out there, either sea-side, or in the mountains, so enjoy!
Remster

Remster

Gear, in Europe, is generally more expensive. Also, there isn't as much used gear going around it seems, so it may be harder to find.

I didn't have much problems finding second-hand gear at a very reasonable price here, so I don't think it's generally harder. Just know where to look.

The Netherlands also has a mandatory maximum wingload, which is actually quite a hefty table (e.g. only at 1000+ jumps, with 100+ last 12 months, are you allowed to jump whatever you want, at whatever wingload you want)