Jessica

Improving exit awareness

Anyone got some exercises I can do to help me with this?

I tend to get so crazy focused in the door that I do things like giving an imperceptible count, not presenting myself properly to the wind, etc. That's why I love swooping to the base so much -- someone else counts, easy presentation.

But I want to get better. I need some ideas on exits I can do that will expand my tunnel vision...thoughts?
Skydiving is for cool people only

I know that for me the repetitions of jumping 4-way have really improved my awareness on exit. I spend so much time looking at myself out the door on video. Alsohaving something to think about on exit helped. Finally practicing my exit move on the ground and looking at aclone really helped.

Albatross has some good info. I'd also add that you can improve your presentation by doing some two way exits. Try some side bodies, compressed and open accordian exits. And lotsa practice in the mock up. Yep, the tunnel is great, but it doesn't do much for exits.:)

Relax, relax, relax. Try some relazation exercises in the plane on the way to altitude. As you walk to the door, ask yourself if you are at the same relaxation level you were at on the way to altitude. You will probably be more tense. Try to laugh at yourself for being tense for no reason, remember that skydiving is supposed to be fun, and get youself back into your most relaxed state. When you are relaxed and happy, your exits will be better and you will be able to fly right out the door. Your memory of the exit will also improve. If an exit goes badly, smile, laugh, and enjoy it. Removing the tension from the situation will make the next exit much better.

- Dan G

RELAX!!!

We have a tennancy to become different people when we leave the airplane, not as relaxed as we are as if we were walking down the street. That, to me, is the level of comfort that I try to acheive on every skydive, and how I try to approach the exit...just as in any sport, you want to be relaxed throughout a motion...during a serve in tennis, swing in golf, shooting a freethrow, etc.

Fight the urge to tense up both mentally and physically.

Just my 2 cents.

steve

Relax, relax, relax. take a deep breath, think about the wind, and just get in it, you know what is going to happen, same as before. I find it is easier to count if I actually yell the Ready Set Go parts, it seems to make the movement more pronounced.

When are you going to get up here and jump with me? There is a boogie this weekend you know, we could jump on your count, heheh

Bill

have fun, love life, be nice to the humans

What position are you, I presume outside center ?

I don't do a lot of organized 4-way. I'm just talking in general terms.

Thanks for the tips and PMs guys. I'll give them a try when I get out there...tomorrow, maybe.
Skydiving is for cool people only

This is an interesting topic that I have thought about
many times in the past. Skydiving is the best demonstration
of the "left brain/right brain" phenomenon that I can think
of.

This is how I have seen it described (? accuracy):

(For right handed males at least) the left brain is
supposed to be the "verbal" side of the brain and the
right side the "non-verbal". For other it may be
switched.

When we start to exit we switch to the non-verbal brain
and lose verbal conciousness, which means our "awareness"
goes away. This is much like how we can drive a car and
be totally mindless to actually what we are doing while
thinking of something else.

During the skydive our non-verbal brain is remembering
things non-verbally.

That is why when we get to the ground and hang out
a while we begin to transfer those memories from the
non-verbal brain to the verbal brain where we can begin
to remember them and talk about them.

Sometimes we switch back to the verbal side upon canopy
opening, but it can last until landing or longer.

OK, maybe this is all a stretch, and you don't agree, but
it explains a lot about "awareness".

Now to answer your question, the way I have been able to
increase awareness is to simply pause right before the
count, smile at your buddies, and _force_ yourself to
switch back to the verbal brain. Of course as soon as you say "go" you might switch back, but you get the idea.

Skydiving is so intense it causes us to switch back to
non-verbal at the slightest provocation. We have to work
hard to remain aware.

Interesting. I could even see where putting on your full face would be a mental switch to non verbal. I never really thought about it that way.

I too struggle for that split second right out the door. It's getting better with time and PRACTICE, and my awareness to the exit frame is improving.

Mikie always says, "every exit is a funnel out the door until you sort it out".

On fun jumps, I keep begging to launch our standard stairstep in the front float position...It funnels every time with me in front. Not always my fault but I haven't been on a successful one yet :P Mikie cringes when I say "can I go front floats"...it's like the kiss of death.

Relaxation really does help, and more time in the mock up.

On 16 way, my favorite part has been the exits , and my position on exit is the exact same on every jump. I get to practice that one slot over and over - I can see myself improving. That, Im sure, is the advantage of 4 way. The repetition of your exit position.

3 deep breaths and a big smile. That's what I do.