pack40

DETERMINING WIND DIRECTION, AM I RIGHT?

BACKGROUND
I live in Hungary
I have 24 jumps
I jump with round chutes
(ZF-2, I a container which in which you can fit
ram-air canopies aswell, with RSL, CYPRES)

THE PROBLEMATIC JUMP (1000 meters with 10 second freefall)

Three weeks before I had a very hard landing, which made me a week of ankle pains. The problem was that I did not land facing the wind, but in a 90 degree angle.

The problems started when I had a terrible exit, I opened after/during a tumble. For round chutes that is not the best but actually not very dangerous at all as they say it would be for a ram-air.
Maybe I was a bit angry/anxious because of the exit/opening, and I did not pay attention to choose right landing area so
I was above the center of the runway, from where I could not see the wind-socks. So I tried to guess
the wind direction by looking at ground and watch where am I drifted.

AM I RIGHT?
If I want to determine correct wind direction, if let's I am at my own I can't see others.

I felt that if I do not pilot the chute just leave it
to the wind after 10-15 seconds I could see where is the wind drifting me. That is happened more or less but that 80-90 degree difference made me a week of pain. I looked at a point on the grond under me and tried to see whether it is "going" under me or I am "flying over it". This is what I have been thought
but it not that easy as it seemed from the books.

Does anybody have some better solutions.
I know some general rules as looking at trees, smokes, bushes and see how/where the wind moves them, but I think that's not a feasible plan.

THANX

Robert

PS: It is very sad for me that after 24 jumps I could
make such a big mistake and make a landing that
a first jumper never even makes.

OVER

Before boarding the plane, memorize both the current wind direction on the ground and position of wind indicators relative to landmarks near the dropzone. If you can not see any wind indicators (windsocks, flags, smoke, trees, water, other jumpers, birds/airplanes taking off or landing) and you aren't sure which way you're drifting, assume the wind direction hasn't changed.

I would guess that if you can't see which direction you're drifting while under a round parachute, the winds probably aren't that strong.

Oh, and just for fun... if you happen to see a couple of horses somewhere around the landing spot, you can expect them to turn their arse into the wind if it's strong :)
---
P.
"It Hurts to Admit When You Make Mistakes -
But When They're Big Enough, the Pain Only Lasts a Second."

PS: It is very sad for me that after 24 jumps I could
make such a big mistake and make a landing that
a first jumper never even makes.

I've seen people with a lot more than that land downwind straight toward the wind sock because they had brain lock and misread the sock thinking they were landing upwind. Don't be so hard on yourself. Looking at your drift over the ground is exactly how you should determine wind direction, that and looking at indicators such as wind socks and blades, trees, etc. You'll be able to judge it better the more experience you have, just keep at it.

Not sure what a ZF-2 is but I have 72 jumps under T-10 (straight round) and -1C (Round with cut outs and about an 8Knt forward drive and steering toggles) Of course on a T-10 it's pretty easy. Look down over your toes. Since it has no forward drive it just drifts with the wind. It sounds like you had a round with some forward drive. In that case. Hopefully you don't have to go far. After you open don't touch anything. Some will argue but in my experience...a round will ALWAYS turn and run with the wind. After that....just make a 180 degree turn and Voila!! You're facing into the wind. Also...trees, tall grass, water (downwind edge of a pond has the ripples, upwind is calm), smoke, dust, etc. all make great indicators of wind direction.

I just wanted to add that I just watch a 250+ jumper land downwind. He felt like an ass.

It happens to everyone. Just try to learn from it, which you clearly are.

Gale
I'm drowning...so come inside
Welcome to my...dirty mind

One thing you CAN do when you do not have windsocks, windblades or flags to help you gauge wind direction is to look at non-moving bodies of water (a.k.a. no ocean/rivers).

Ponds and lakes will have the ripples to one side if there is wind. The wind is coming from the far edge of the pond and blowing towards the edge where you see the ripples. It's useful when you land VERY far off (i.e. a cross-country jump gone horribly wrong.)

So I tried to guess
the wind direction by looking at ground and watch where am I drifted.

Misjudging the wind on landing is a common problem, don't feel bad about it.

I think it is easier to figure the wind direction with a round parachute than a square since the round has so little forward motion of its own.

Your initial idea of watching drift is is pretty much right on, but you should check the drift in several directions. I always suggest to start by selecting a direction that you think is into the wind and check drift. Then turn 90 degrees and check again. Then make another 90 degree turn with a check, and a 4th 90 degree turn. The direction you are going fastest is running, with the wind at your back. When you have a bit of practice the four 90 degree turns can easily become a quick 360 and you will be able to check movement as you rotate around a ground reference point. Likewise, an experienced jumper who knows his parachute well can figure drift without making any turns. That comes with practice and experience.

Keep in mind the uppers and ground winds may shift. It generally isn't enough of a difference to matter to us square pilots, but guys flying rounds will notice.

Ideally, you should figure out what the ground wind is doing and pick a general landing direction before you take off. I like to orient the winds and my landing direction to a huge landmark, like a mountain or river, or even the sun. That way, even if I land off the airport I will know how to set-up into the wind.

So, stick with it. Enjoy your round skydives as a unique experience that few people ever get to encounter.

-Tom Buchanan

Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Clay: ...a round will ALWAYS turn and run with the wind..

Bruno: Can you explain why???
[/qoute]

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:o:o:o:o:o

You must be one of those people that pushes any button labelled 'DANGER' or 'DO NOT TOUCH'.... :P

'We' have been over this numerous times but it has become clear that it is best to agree to disagree......

Blue skies,
Rainman

I am not an expert on all rounds, but have done numerous T-10 & C-9 jumps.

As both of these canopies have about 3-5 knot forward speed I either looked at the grass/trees or at circa 1000ft do a slow 360 turn watching ground speed - worked every time.

Lastly on a T-10 or C-9 you could do stand up landings by yanking down the rear risers HARD at about 6ft. I would ask someone about your canopy before doing it though.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

The forward speed of this canopy is
3 meters/second. The ascend speed is
-theoretically-
3 meters/second -50 kilogramm
3,5 meters/second -80 kilogramm
4,2 meters/second -100 kilogramm
6 meters/second -130 kilogramm

With my 84 kilos it might be 3-4 meters/second, but I think it is more. A 360 degree
turn takes 8 seconds.

OVER