WhiskeyCartoon

anxiety and cliched fears

i never used to be an anxious person, but this year i started getting really nervous about the stupidest things. this is why i have made what may sound like neurotic posts regarding skydiving safety. i am on medicationB| and this contributes..actually, it may cause the anxiety. but i can't let that run (or ruin) my life.
i loved my first tandem, but my second tandem scared the life out of me!! (which actually made it more exciting) i loved that one in retrospect. this was entirely due to the plane (my first tandem, we jumped out of the...skyvan --i think thats what they call it at Freefall Adventures, Cross Keys) and my second we used the common side door exit where it was basically inevitable that i would look down and prepare to jump.
i find myself flooded with a bunch of questions that i already know the answer to, but am seeking some external affirmation. but i keep WORRYING that neither chute will open or that i won't be able to find my ripcord!!! i know these are stupid things to fear, and i know it's very important to think positively. after i read , "mental training for skydiving and life" i realized that when i visualize myself skydiving, i see myself performing all of the necessary tasks successfully and in my imagination, i'm having a wonderful time and everyime i break from that reverie, i'm smiling. but this still doesn't stop the anxiety i have (all of the time, not just in regard to skydiving). i know a lot of people are really nervous their first few jumps, but seriously...i guess i just want/need to hear more words of encouragement that the probability of these dreaded things occuring is as slim as i think it is.
thanks guys....(in advance, i hope!) :)
"I wasn't exactly James Bond in that movie, but no one asked Sean Connery to sing while dodging bullets." --Elvis Presley

A little anxiety isn't really a bad thing. It's that touch of caution that keeps ya doing those pin and handle checks before getting in and out of the plane. Helps keep ya safe because you're taking a calculated risk which all itentifiable hazards are minimized to make an inherently dangerous activity safer. Relax, rehearse, reduce risk and enjoy the ride!
Hearts & Minds
2 to the Heart-
1 to the Mind-
Home of the Coconut Lounge, Spa, & Artillery Range

Hi,

I'm a newbie (28 dives) and I know about the fear stuff. I'm amazed that I ever made it past the first 10 dives, and if you read some of the other people's posts on here you'll see that it's not rare to think that. I don't know how the fear subsided I only know that it did. Here are some things that helped:

Listen to your instructors, and ask lots of questions. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Even if they have to tell you three times to get it to stick it's better that way.

Mental rehersal rocks. If I can mentally reherse what I'm going to do (even while sitting at work!) I find it really helpful. Exits are good to visualize, as are landings, think about that in the plane instead of how scary it is. There should be people at your dz who can help you with this.

Relaxation exercises are good in the plane too.

Practice everything on the ground more times then you think you need.

Relax, have fun, and smile. It took me four freefalls before I smiled at anyone and it was the best feeling ever!

Oh yeah, and when people told me it would get better I didn't beleive them.

They were right.

Gale
I'm drowning...so come inside
Welcome to my...dirty mind

thank you guys so much for your positive encouragement.i mean, i knew a lot of other people felt this way but i guess i needed to hear it? haha. imsure everyone has the same common fears during their first few jumps (what if my chute doesnt open...etc haha--well that would be the main one i think but maybe im wrong) but if it gets better, im game. and honestly, i mean--how could it not. even though that SECOND jump was the scariest thing of my life--EVERRRRRRY time i think about it i start smiling and i feel genuinely happy! i don't want to back down from somehing because of my anxiety...everyone hasanxiety (well at least in regard to their first few jumps in skydiving it seems) but i can't let that get in the way.
i sound like a coach. or like richard simmons daughter.
elssa:P
"I wasn't exactly James Bond in that movie, but no one asked Sean Connery to sing while dodging bullets." --Elvis Presley

by the way gale--
i tried to email you but i got a return email saying your address had permanent fatal errors? it was the email address i got from your dropzone profile? (obviously) haha
do you have another?
elissa:o

Hey Wiskey,
When I first started jumping I would be a bit anxious as well then one day one of the guys asked what it actualy was that I was worried about? You know when I actualy stopped and thought about it I couldn't really think of anything. Another Skydiver with quite a few jumps behind him told me that it wasn't until he had done about thirty skydives that he decided that he actualy liked jumping, now he loves it. It takes a while to get there for some people. Now when I Skydive the anxiety has changed to something else, a kind of excited anticipation which I use to help me focus on my dive and safety checks.
Smile especialy when you feel nervous, it'll change your mood, breath slowly & think happy thoughts you'll see, you can fly!:)
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Elissa

Don't worry about a bit of anxiety, in fact with your jump number if your not nervous or worried about jumping there would be something wrong with you.

I think it took me about 30 odd jumps before I stopped really worrying, and since them the fear has changed to the fear of not progressing.

So rest assured your concerns are totally natral and everybody has them on their first jumps.

Hope this helps

Nick

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

Elssa
On one hand, this is a very freaky sport we are involved with (we're in an environment that humans were not meant to be in). But on the other hand, jumping out of an airplane is one of the coolest things we'll ever do.
When I first started mountain biking years back, hurling myself downhill at high speed was unnatural. But the more I did it, the more I became relaxed and acclimated to it and skydiving has got to be quite similar.
Jump safe ... :$

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Hohonukai-
i have been on this particular medicationsince like...february and i noticed how anxious it made me like within the first week. it makes me anxious like....about everything. (so obviously jumping out of a plane would be the most intense anxiety)i mean....even whjen i type on the computer, mystomach i like in a knot..for no reason at all. that's why i had trouble breathing in freefall. the tension.
i donno it kinda sucks but the alternative would be to stop taking t and then suffer other, probably more irritating symptoms...
elissa

ahhh
haha. i just realized "cliched" isn't even a word. i always make up word. hahaha.
anyways...thanks everyone for the advice and info! when i see videos or pictures of people like...SITTING or STANDING in the air...man...can any of you guys do that? hhahanot that i'm gonna try. i think that's like 4000 jumps down the way. ;)
but it looks so neat and it's cool that there is always something new to learn...as long as you don't push your luck it seems...?
it hink that the next time i go, i am not gonna plan ahead. i am just gonna get up and call and make an appt and try to go THAT day so i wont have time to get nervous or worry about every possible situation. and maybe i will try to go TWICE in one day if they have room for me? i heard thats good thing to do.t hey say the more you do it the more comfortable you are!!
elissaB|

but my second tandem scared the life out of me!!

I made my level II AFF jump the same day one of my professors made her second tandem. She was one of those rare individuals who made her first jump by herself (meaning she did not come with friends to the dz). She had asked a neighbor, who she knew had been skydiving, if he would like to come, and he did not, because his second tandem jump scared him too much. He said he'd never jump again.
In other posts, I spoke about my recent AFF level III jump that scared me and made me question my future in this sport. I have decided to go ahead and be a skydiver, but only because I really really suck at bowling.;)
Will we see you in the skies again?
Steve
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

Whiskey Cartoon,
This is a scary sport at first. Everyone I know who jumps (if they are honest), will admit to quite a bit of fear in the beginning. I think my first few jumps were night jumps, because I had my eyes closed. The owner of our drop zone now has over 6,000 jumps. He said when he started he didn't even tell the people he was living with that he was training to skydive, because he didn't know if he would actually have the courage to jump and he didn't want anyone to know he chickened out. After you get a 100 jumps or so, the sport won't be scary anymore and will become really, really, fun. Hang in there. You're no different than the rest of us. Steve1

Whiskey

I REALLY know what you're feeling. I did a tandem last year in November, the last day our DZ was open (Boston Providence Skydiving, a great place with great people). I loved the tandem.

At the end of May, I started AFF. Weather and work have not cooperated but I finally got through level VII 3 weeks ago. I have not jumped since!!!!!!!Not even my first solo.

Why? I have been busy, I did injure my shoulder (not jumping) and I am good at finding excuses. In other words I guess I'm nervous.

I am going soon, maybe tomorrow. If so at least 3 jumps to build confidence.

I guess nerves are good. I certainly received great training and am confident in my abilities so far. It's just fear of the unknown.

I can tell you that every time I have jumped the thrill lasts for weeks. I find myself staring at the sky through my car's sunroof. I dream about skydiving most nights. It's the most profound experience I've ever had. But I still get nervous.

Only two things to do. Either quit now or get 30 jumps behind me ASAP.

I think I'll jump tomorrow and go for 4!

Hang in there. You'll love it.

Hey Whiskey

A little fear on the skydiving front is perfectly normal, and as already stated probably a good thing. However I must tell you if your on any medication that is mind altering in anyway they you absolutly should not jump! I'm sorry if I sound harsh but this is a dangerous sport, and there is just no room for mind altering meds.

I've often wondered about this. I know for a fact that there are a lot of skydivers out there that are on anti-depressant type medications. I know there are a lot of opinions on this (good or bad), but I wonder if there is any evidence available to support these opinions. I work as a school counselor, and I do work with kids on medication. Usually an anti-depressant will help a depressed person feel more normal. I am far from an expert on this subject, but I myself am wondering if this presents a danger to those in our sport who take them. I don't think they slow down reaction time. Maybe they help more than they hurt. I also think it may be wrong to say that someone who suffers from depression, and is on medication, shouldn't jump. Because I know for a fact there are a lot of jumpers out there who do jump and take anti-depressants from a doctor's prescription. I would like to hear other ideas. A doctor would probably be the one to ask. Steve1

Your doctor absolutely is the one to ask. They are the only ones that can evaluate YOU on YOUR medication. I can take something and have a severe reaction and you can take the same thing and have none. Always check it out.

Gale
I'm drowning...so come inside
Welcome to my...dirty mind

hey guys--
i see where some of you would be concerned with skydivers on anti-depressant, dopamine releasing/seratonin stimulating you name it-medication. i THIRD that. i have had a horrible experienc on one particular antidepressant. i went to my general physician last year to complain about being tired. he did blood work--nothing showed up. he asked me: "are you in school at the moment?" to which i responsed, "no,not presently. i took a hiatus to pursue other interests and to..well..decide what exactly it was i wanted to devote myself to career wise." his response was something to the like of, "ah-huh...not much direction i see. im gonna go ahead and give ya some prozac." i don't even know WHY i took it. i was so tired that i was willing to try anything but at the same time, i knew i wasnt lying to myself when i pleaded, "but i'm not sad!" tha medicine provided me w/ someof the worst experiences of my life. i had no idea wht was going on b/c i had never been called "depressed' before and so i never really thought to research the possible effects of anti-depressant medications. what i found was that within a few weeks of starting this medicine, i was doing things TOTALLY out of character. now i'm rambling. my point is that i got off that medication ASAP. so i know about mind altering states. i guess this is all really personal to me but i mean i figure if we're trying to get to the root of the problem..etc.
the medication im on now...i don't feel any different mentally. actually,i don't really see how this would help a depressed person. i still get JUST as upset about things, just as angry, just as happy and excited. and i don't find myself making the stupid mistakes i made while on prozac. nothing like it. actually most people use this medication for ADD or quitting smoking.
in a nutshell, yea.im sure a lot of skydivers are on anti-depressants. haha they are wayyyy overprescribed. but you definitely raised a valid question, and i think in the cases of some medicines, (cough PROZAC) you just might be right. but who knows--everyone reacts differently. i have spoken to two doctors (plus my parents who are both doctors) and all contend that the medication should have no effect on rationality or...yea..skydiving. my parents know i loved when i went and they had nothing deterrant to say (unusually so haha) anyways. sorry for rambling but as someone who is presently taking anti-depressants, i shouldn't be afraid to talk about them and their effects on a message board that seems to be full of mature, intelligent and positive people. if you listened, then thanks...thats just my few cents.
-elissa!:)