slotperfect

Murphy Shows His Ugly Face

I copied this reply to another post so it could show up here as an opportunity for others to learn from this incident that Murphy threw at me last weekend.

Murphy will wait for the ONE time you change something in your safety routine (or leave something out of it) to jump in and make things exciting in ways we'd rather not seek excitement.

Case in point: I ALWAYS jump my big floppy jumpsuit for doing tandems - recommended by the manufacturer for more flying surface & control of less than perfect student body positions.

Well, two Saturdays ago my first tandem student got sick on my big floppy suit under canopy. So, I jumped my RW bootie suit on the next one with a 120 pound very athletic woman. Murphy chose this student to put me in my first side-spin. She went into a rigid pike position out the door, grabbing for my left arm (I did NOT let her get it). I stuck to what I was trained . . . wrapped her legs, rolled over like a cat, and got the drogue out in a very close to normal belly-to-earth attitude. The rest of the skydive was same-as-it-ever-was, smiling for the camera.

I won't say I will NEVER jump that suit with a student again . . . the lesson here is that I had not had a side-spin in almost 170 tandems. I knew it was coming eventually, though so I was well-prepared. I rehearse all of my tandem EP's often.

Once I get the video digitized I will post it on DiverDriver's website for everyone to use as a training tool if they like.

I want to acknowledge Dan Doyle, my Tandem Examiner, for the excellent training, and Bill Morrisey from Strong Enterprises who did extensive test jumps and video on this subject for our benefit. Tandem Masters - if you don't have a copy, call Strong and get one . . . it will be a great help when your first one comes . . .

And yes, I bought cold frosties for eveyone to enjoy that night . . . I knew some of you were wondering.:)
Arrive Safely

John

:oWow!! Glad everything turned out OK slotperfect.

It was kind of interesting that my Vector Tandem Examiner had a Strong Cert. Course book on the same table as his R.W. Vector Cert Course book. He referred to it quite a bit throughout the course. Especially during tandem safety issues and in particular side spin phenomenon. The video you referred to is excellant and was a must see before we could be totally written off as Tandem Masters.

I've personally experienced two or 'close to and really going to sh*t fast' side spins out of 370 tandems. As I don't have to tell you slotperfect it starts going bad really fast! The theories and suggested methods for recover from this after the hard work of Bill Morrisey, and Ted Strong (ie: Change the mass) do in fact work. This method worked for me both times and it sounds like this same method worked for you.

Don't automatically hard arch harder to fight the spin. Instead get into a semi-track as slotp did. Or just change the mass (presentation area).

Glad this worked for you brother and welcome to the wonderful world of tandems ;)

Very helpful post, Thank You!!

Aloha~

Skin tight Spandex jumpsuits looked silly on tandem instructors. Thanks for confirming our suspicions.
80% of my 2200+ tandems have been done with big floppy jumpsuits. During that period, I have only experienced 1 90 degree side spin. It scared the shorts off of me! So I quit doing tandems in shorts and a T-shirt.
The only reason I was jumping in shorts and a T-shirt was to avoid heat prostration during a Southern California summer.