skyflower_bloom

Warm-climate dzs for a newer jumper (A lic)

Hey guys..

So, I am 3 jumps from my A license (woohoo!), and it's getting to be that time of year in the midwest.. I would like to plan to be somewhere warm this fall/winter and get a week or so of jumpage in (post-A license, will have between 25-35 jumps or so when I go).

I am slightly concerned about going to a big event or large dropzone with lots of traffic since I am used to being in the air with 5-12 others, at a moderately sized club dropzone. Boogies sound fun but the practical part of me says that just a normal jumping week should be safer for my first time traveling, at my experience level.

Anyone have thoughts on either specific places, or specific types of events or qualities to look for in a 'destination' dz, when selecting where to travel for one's first.. uhh i mean pre-second jump trip?

I know that some of them like Elsinore are listed as having a lot of free workshops and available coaching and organizing for newer jumpers which appeals.. I am however concerned about the possibility of wind and terrain conditions being very different or requiring more experience. Just want to go somewhere that is going to be a good fit for a less experienced jumper and not get in over my head!

Love to hear where others have gone early in their jumping careers and the pros/cons.
Thanks for any input!!

Blues,
R
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

I was at your point about a year ago. I went to Florida in November-December. Zephyrhills, unfortunately the weather was bad. I went to Clewiston which is not so big, very nice people and easy going. Wind can be an issue there just like in Elsinore (gusty sometimes). You have got to get used to it and learn to set and respect YOUR limits, especially in the bigger dropzones. Anyway, I can recommend Florida as well as SoCal. SoCal has the advantage that Elsinore and Perris are close, Perris has a tunnel and the likelyhood that you can jump there on weekdays - wind and weather permitting - is almost 100%. I recommend going to one of these, being honest about your level and show interest in joining other people and start with 2-ways. It was always easy for me to make new friends and learn from and with them in Clewiston and Elsinore. I loved the Excel camp in Elsinore, great way to get some coaching and meet new folks! Elsinore has a huge landing zone. Just use it to avoid traffic in final approach and stressful situations when the wind picks up a little and don't be ashamed to have to walk back a little longer.

Given the tourist draw to central Florida, Deland or Zephyrhills might be your cheapest for flights.
Orlando has a tunnel as well, and tunnel coaches from Deland and Zephyrhills both use it.
Both dropzones have very large landing areas. Deland has a separate landing area for students at your level.
Hotels close to both DZ's and both have very nice facilities.
Come enjoy our "winter" season.
:)

First off...glad to see that you're actually trying to get this info and not wanting to go too fast too soon. Congrats on that.

I haven't personally jumped there, but Z-Hills would be an excellent winter haven for a Midwest skydiver.
I know of quite a few midwesterners that go there for a month or so in the winter.

Good luck!
Blue Skies!!

steve h
SkydiveKC.com

I was in the same situation and decided on eloy which I am enjoying, great place with a wind tunnel. Not too big of a crowd and the weather is almost always cooperative. they fly an otter which carries loads of 23 and I haven't found it to be too crowded though there have been a couple of landing area issues on 2 loads I jumped, (there is PLENTY of desert to land in though if the landing area turns snafu). Cheap flight into PHX, round trip for roughly 250 depending on where you fly out of in the midwest. If I was you, which I was in a sense, I'd choose Eloy...

+1 for Eloy if you get over the jitters about lots of other people in the air. From what I understand it's about to get pretty busy there.

I'm also going to have to suggest http://www.startskydivingflorida.com/ in the CFL area. It's a new DZ (winter opearation of Start in Ohio) and I don't think they have big boogies planed this winter (I could be wrong). A good group is down there.

Both locations afford easy access to a tunnel and the weather is great.

Have fun.

Thanks for the replies!! Sounds like I have some good options at this point. It's nice to hear other peoples' perspectives. Now, if only I could just spend the whole winter touring *all* of them :P I welcome any other feedback and will let you guys know what the plan winds up being! Can't wait!

Lots of other canopies in the sky just make me nervous because I am still struggling with the canopy control as far as landing where I want to land, and the ability to fly a predictable pattern to do so. So it seems something with a very large landing area and/or a separate student and HP landing areas would be useful for me in this regard. Plus I know that with my jump numbers I don't have the experience or skills to react as well to a close call, so I figure it's better not to push it with a high traffic LZ. But, I am working on hop n pops and with coaches to try to get my landing pattern/approach more accurate, so I do plan to continue working on improving this before traveling.

Thanks again for the feedback!! Blue ones!

Stop being a sissy, landing on snow is softer than landing on the dirt! :D

Lots of other canopies in the sky just make me nervous because I am still struggling with the canopy control as far as landing where I want to land, and the ability to fly a predictable pattern to do so. So it seems something with a very large landing area and/or a separate student and HP landing areas would be useful for me in this regard. Plus I know that with my jump numbers I don't have the experience or skills to react as well to a close call, so I figure it's better not to push it with a high traffic LZ. But, I am working on hop n pops and with coaches to try to get my landing pattern/approach more accurate, so I do plan to continue working on improving this before traveling.

I had a hard time getting my landings down, then it just sort of clicked and I wasn't having anymore problems.

Don't kick yourself over it, most of this sport doesn't come naturally (hell, I did AFF 4 like 4 times).

If you're using different canopies for jumps, that might be screwing with you as well. They will glide differently you have to use a slightly different landing pattern.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Perris or Elsinore are both great. I was kinda in the same situation (I just moved out here when I had 35 jumps) and started jumping at a new DZ. Elsinore has a "Seperate" landing area for those with an A license and below thats huge so you should have no problems landing there (They were doing AFF jumps during the last boogie there with no issues). If you decide to head out here to cali let me know, im usually down there on the weekends.

Alright, so I made the leap. Non-refundable tix for Elsinore (fly into LAX at 6 am on the 19th, and leave at noon on the 24th). Staying in the bunk house, likely planning to badger people to help me out with rides to and from the airport in exchange for beer, gas money, and or jump tickets.. the barter system seems to work well in the jump community :)

And if any other skydiving parents want to trade off childcare I am all for it- or if your kids are grown and you miss the babes, could be fun times for all (but am also going to have a designated person to help much of the time)

Wow can't believe it, that in less than three weeks I'll be at Elsinore-- wheee! Cali here I come.. but I'll be out at SKSPC in oh about 6 hours, and Sunday too, so I can't really complain.. gotta work on those landings like a mofo.

Thanks for all the feedback, and please pm me me with tips or if you are willing to show me the ropes or get a jump in with me!

I plan to jump Friday aft/evg, and all day Sat/Sun, a day off Monday to hang with kiddo, maybe Perris or tunnel on Tues, and a few more at Lake E before I have to catch my flight on Wed. Can't wait!! Thanks again so much for the feedback!

Look forward to meeting some of you, and hopefully you'll get along with my wild li'l toddler man too :P

blues,
R

Wow can't believe it, that in less than three weeks I'll be at Elsinore-- wheee!

Good! Otters don't have those pesky cessna steps! You should be fine jumping one of those ;)

Thanks for all the feedback, and please pm me me with tips or if you are willing to show me the ropes or get a jump in with me!

I got some ropes I'd like to show you :)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Don't forget your log book! I had a similar number of jumps and was fresh off my A license last year when I planned a trip to Eloy. I mistakenly thought my license would be enough documentation, it's not. I too hail from a medium size DZ in the midwest with one plane, a very manageable number of jumpers in the air at once, with a large LZ an plenty of "outs." I like to pull a bit higher than most, so after completing my recurrency stuff at Eloy, I slotted myself first in last out for my first jump, and notified my instructor that I would be pulling a bit higher. What I didn't realize is that there would be a second plane on the jump run right behind us. I pulled around 4500-5000 ft and landed in their student area and promply got my ass chewed for pulling too high. My point is this. There is a lot of stuff that new jumpers don't know and understand, and adding the dimension of a new DZ with unfamiliar surroundings should be considered carefully, in my opinion. Have fun and fly safe.

Wow can't believe it, that in less than three weeks I'll be at Elsinore-- wheee!

Good! Otters don't have those pesky cessna steps! You should be fine jumping one of those ;)

I got some ropes I'd like to show you :)

Indeed, no step and strut on the otters.. i'll have to find some other way to mess up i guess. jk..

And about those ropes... YOU are the one who said he didn't want to go jump in SoCal. I suspect you are not in proximity to this dropzone at the moment. Hence, if you were here, you could be showing me all the ropes your heart desires! But since you are not, we've had to make do without those particular ropes.

Other than ropes though... :P if you happen to have any non-rainy weather you could demonstrate for me it would be very much appreciated!;)

Thanks- it's true, a lot of things to be aware of.. I brought my log book and they did check that as well as my USPA card. So far I did ten minutes in the tunnel and going again tomorrow evening, but no jumps due to weather-- it's been kind of nice in some ways, just to get a feel for the dz, talk with instructors, pilots, jumpers, etc. and get all that stuff out of the way so that when it does become jumpable, I have more insight on how things happen.. I definitely plan to ease into it as well, with the briefings and all on landing, and just do a solo or two to feel things out, let everyone know I will be pulling a little higher than normal, etc. so am hoping that it will work well, it's just hard to tell with the transition because not having yet seen a jump day "in action" i don't know what to expect fully, but will certainly observe a couple loads too, before manifesting for my jump..

As to your situation, it seems like knowing the plan as far as whether multiple planes are flying is important, for communicating such things.. I easily may not have thought to as well.. I did ask and was told that despite having the two planes, a normally run jumping day usually only utilizes one, so while the capacity is larger than I am used to, at least I know I on the only plane at that point!

Thanks for the feedback! Appreciate it, and I understand that there is much new information to be absorbed at a new place early on.. It's just, WI is COLD now, lol, and for reasons both skydiving-related and completely unrelated, I was ready to get away from cold and snow. So, here we are in Elsinore, and definitely trying to keep a good pace and learning from the folks here!

We'll see when we finally get some jumps in (weathered out) which will certainly give me greater insight into the challenges or issues with jumping at a new place and how to best account for those changes, but i think it will be a good experience as well, learning more about jumping and how things are done on the dz, though some things of course vary from one dz to another..