skyflower_bloom

Skydiving and/or tunnel time in Portland OR (and/or San Fran CA)

So-- I'll be making a trip westward from WI this spring/summer (though logically I know I should wait until it snows here and then go elsewhere to skydive lol)... but the fact is, I will be in Portland OR (Multnomah) from the 25th of May through June 8th (2 weeks).

I am thinking of driving to spend a few days with a friend and his family in San Fran so would want to get into the tunnel out there if I do that for sure to work on basic awareness of body position and stability for AFF.. but the majority of the two week trip will be in Portland OR.

Just wondering if anyone had feedback or would be willing to recommend DZs in the pdx area, show me around, give me advice, etc.

BTW I am AFF-3, (did it once, all good except not stable/aware at pull, though I did pull fine if a bit early) so definitely not entirely ready for release so will repeat AFF-3 again tomorrow and maybe/hopefully get AFF-4 in tomorrow too.

I hope to be anywhere from AFF-4 to AFF-9/solo status by the time I make it out in three weeks.. given the spring weather here (wind and rain) I am thinking more towards the former than the latter though who knows.. so unsure if I even could, or should, try to jump at an AFF status at a new DZ, but either way, I'd love to meet others and check out the local DZ(s) since I am considering a move to Portland and that would be an important aspect to consider..
Thanks in advance for any advice!! Or just email/pm me :)

blue skies!

peace,
robyn
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

It is probably best to stick it out, and finish your AFF where you started it, unless you really don't like your instructors or something. They know you best, what areas you are good at and need improvement, how you respond to training, etc etc. There is a good chance a new DZ will just start you over if you only have 3 AFF jumps.
Even if you complete the AFF course, it is best to stay at your DZ until you get your license, no need to confuse yourself with a new landing area, aircraft, procedures etc.

The tunnel is fun, and can be a big help. I would talk with your instructors and tell them your intentions, they could probably make recommendations on what you should be working on. Remember though, unless you really need work, it might be better to save some of that tunnel money to do more jumps, and start buying gear. Staying current is important.
Anyways, I will throw in the "Don't listen to any of this and talk to your instructors" line, and wish you good luck. Have fun out here!

I would say come and check out the dz's in the area up here, Skydive Oregon (Molalla) and Kapowsin (Shelton, WA), but do not try and do any AFF. It will most likely cost you more since they have no experience with any of your previous jumps. Finish AFF in one place and get your A license. It will be cheaper and quicker.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I am thinking unless I get to solo status next 2 weekends (unlikely given weather here in the spring) I won't try to do an AFF elsewhere. That said, I do want to check out the DZs, meet people, etc. as one of my motives for my two week trip is that I am considering an eventual move out to Portland area.. so there is good reason to get a feel for the DZs.

I am also making a few day detour over to Cali and will be going into the tunnel at iFly SF I believe.. will talk to my instructors and weigh their input but I would love the experience..

Thanks again, anyone else with other info on Portland, OR area DZ options, culture, etc. would be appreciated, and thanks again for the replies to the PPs!

Blue Skies!!

Robyn

It is probably best to stick it out, and finish your AFF where you started it, unless you really don't like your instructors or something. They know you best, what areas you are good at and need improvement, how you respond to training, etc etc. There is a good chance a new DZ will just start you over if you only have 3 AFF jumps.
Even if you complete the AFF course, it is best to stay at your DZ until you get your license, no need to confuse yourself with a new landing area, aircraft, procedures etc.

The tunnel is fun, and can be a big help. I would talk with your instructors and tell them your intentions, they could probably make recommendations on what you should be working on. Remember though, unless you really need work, it might be better to save some of that tunnel money to do more jumps, and start buying gear. Staying current is important.
Anyways, I will throw in the "Don't listen to any of this and talk to your instructors" line, and wish you good luck. Have fun out here!

LOL I love my home DZ/instructors... just contemplating a move westward in the next year, would be around the time I get my A, and would want to know my skydiving options whether or not I actually jump out there this time 'round (which I am at this point thinking not unless I can either talk my friends into doing a tandem LOL or am on solo by that point and it falls into place but likely as you say not even then since I want to put my focus into getting to know the procedures, geography, etc. of the DZ I'll be jumping at all season and have learned the basics at.. so that's sorta where I am at now)

Mostly, I think I just want to get a feel for the vibe, as if I were to choose to move, that would be a factor, and tunnel time appeals both as a training tool for me, an alternate when I can't get any real jumps in, and a novel experience since there is no tunnel even close to my current city.

I will definitely talk to my instructors about this intention and see what pointers they can give me. I'm still conflicted somewhat, but since this will be my only shot at tunnel training this year (geographically) unless I move sooner than I think logistically possible, I want to try it, and think that while the $ spent could be spent on a jump, if it helps me having to repeat levels it would potentially save money? Either way I'm just psyched to try it lol. I don't think I need a ton of work on the basics, each time I've jumped I have had several specific things to work on and have been able to work on them and improve each time, so I don't think I suck TOO bad haha, but last jump I felt less stable, not completely unstable, but got too rigid and would go a little unstable and then recover doing the practice touches, which hadn't happened before (instability of arch) so I was thinking along the lines specifically that tunnel work could help me with proper arch and relaxation without the time pressure/general pressure of plummeting towards the earth :P But will definitely talk to my AFF-Is and DZO/also one of my AFF-Is.

Thanks again for the reply. Just saw that (well, I saw it before, but it just registered fully lol, maybe I'm having sensory overload or something, takes awhile for things to register (just finished finals week haha) and wanted to respond in defense of not hating my instructors ROFL. Haven't had an instructor I had real issues with yet, though skydiving as a sport can definitely deal out a swift kick in the arse lol, and the instructors do have to keep me on my toes sometimes haha, everyone has their own style, but pretty much the instructors and other people at my home DZ are a main reason why I chose to start (and stay) here for AFF and A, with several local-ish options being available and well recommended. :)
Thanks again, blue skies!!

peace,
robyn

Well if you are planning a trip down to California, you should make a detour on your way to SF and check out the Parachute Center in Lodi. It is an awesome DZ, people are great and you cant beat their prices. When you are off student status and are back out this way, you should make some jumps there.

If you plan on going to iFLYSFBAY, make sure you book your time in advance......they get really busy. Other than that, it is a great place and the instructors are really helpful at training, especially if you tell them you are going through AFF.

Good luck and blue skies
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

Thanks so much- I can use GPS, but any vague idea driving from Portland OR to SF Bay area, how much of a detour Lodi would be? Would love to check it out, thanks for the tip!!

Yes, I received a recommendation for a tunnel coach with skydiving experience via PM and have been talking with TJ/Norcal Alliance- anyone else have experience with him? Seems like I will be doing a 15 minute tunnel session, after peak hours since he can get in easier and cheaper at/after 11 pm.. looking forward to it! If I can get confident in stability and position in the tunnel, I think in the long run it would save me money not having to repeat levels etc. My first few jumps I was pretty stable, but the last jump I was not arched enough and lost momentary stability a few times.. I am tall and thin so my instructor said I got too rigid and needed to put my hips down and legs up a little more and arch more.. I think between my logbook and the instructor's experience with jumping and tunnel training, it will be beneficial, but will be talking to my home DZ instructors tomorrow to get their insights on what would be most useful for me.. if weather cooperates I am also hoping to get AFF-4 done tomorrow, wish me luck :)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, and I can't wait to check out the tunnel and the other DZs out west!! :)

peace and blue skies,
robyn

Yeah Lodi will be a very minor detour, but well worth it. Like the other poster said, it will only be 10 to maybe 15 min at the most from I-5. Just keep an eye out for Peltier Rd. Take that exit and follow it down till to see SR-99. You will be able to go straight on the overpass, a right to get on to 99 or the frontage road left to get to the DZ.......which is where I am headed in a couple of hoursB|

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

Choosing an area to work/live because it's near a certain DZ or tunnel seems backwards to me. Find a nice place to live where you can do a job you hopefully like. If you pick a large enough metro area, there may be multiple DZs close by and new tunnels are opening all the time.

While it's great to be near facilities for your hobby/sport, unless it's going to be a second career, it is just that. While you may get a great vibe off one DZ on initial visits, your opinion/experience may change or the DZ itself may change. Had you chose your place to live and possibly your job based solely on this, you could be miserable and resentful quickly.

Besides, traveling and meeting new people at different DZs is fun. Even if only going for the day 4ish hours of driving time round trip isn't too bad. Or if longer, go for the weekend. :)
As for the tunnel helping with your student progression, it might, but my guess is just relaxing in the air would help more. I was a stiff as a board overthinking student too. Had a coach once joke that we should go toke up before I jump. ;) Definitely try to finish your student program at one place though.

Welcome to the sky. :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Choosing an area to work/live because it's near a certain DZ or tunnel seems backwards to me. Find a nice place to live where you can do a job you hopefully like. If you pick a large enough metro area, there may be multiple DZs close by and new tunnels are opening all the time.

While it's great to be near facilities for your hobby/sport, unless it's going to be a second career, it is just that. While you may get a great vibe off one DZ on initial visits, your opinion/experience may change or the DZ itself may change. Had you chose your place to live and possibly your job based solely on this, you could be miserable and resentful quickly.

Besides, traveling and meeting new people at different DZs is fun. Even if only going for the day 4ish hours of driving time round trip isn't too bad. Or if longer, go for the weekend. :)
As for the tunnel helping with your student progression, it might, but my guess is just relaxing in the air would help more. I was a stiff as a board overthinking student too. Had a coach once joke that we should go toke up before I jump. ;) Definitely try to finish your student program at one place though.

Welcome to the sky. :)

Thanks for taking the time to give input :) I know that I want to finish my degree, so my main priority is interviewing at the university and looking into the family options- natural childbirth (I do doula work) community, other families and kids for playdates, school options for the kiddo, etc.. didn't meant to imply that I would decide where to live with a dropzone as the #1 lol.. Actually I would LOVE to raise my family on skydiving income, but as a single mama and student doesn't seem feasible atm, so I'll stick with what I feel is my calling for now, work with kids and families, and the sky will be there as a sport and discipline that I am growing to love :)

Of course the DZs out there, the vibe, etc., it does have an impact in that I want to get a feel for them before making a potential move either way to know what to expect, and since I am working towards becoming a licensed skydiver and am pretty certain this will be part of my life wherever I am.. that said, it's a good point that visiting once may not give a great feel for what it is like to jump there, all the different people and aspects, etc.

If I move to Portland, the tunnel is still 10-11 hours away, so I don't think I could make it there other than this vacation to train if I live in Pdx, so I don't think it will be part of my training no matter where I am..

If I do move, which is something I've been considering for years, long before I started jumping, there will be many factors involved before skydiving.. it's a long saga lol, won't go into it, but there are some very strong factors both for and against a move.

I am hoping that this trip and my intuition and the school thing will give me more guidance, as it's a bit of a tie here now :) But, I do want to get some training in on this trip and do some exploring of other DZs :)

That said, I biffed a landing and sprained an ankle yesterday, and will be grounded for 6 weeks anyway now, so the tunnel time, if I am up to it come June, will be even more important since I won't be jumping for a bit.

Thanks again for the input, and I will let you all know how it goes! I may not have much net access on the trip but being grounded for the next ten days I am sure I'll get into some shenanigans on here.. but I'll try to be good hehe.

Any other suggestions for my trip are welcome, definitely will stop out to Lodi too, might as well if it's that close!!

Oh and PP- I know this post is getting long lol, but I have been stiffening up my past couple jumps-- which SUCKS, because I had good relaxed arch my first few, and just lately have I started to stiffen.. that's why I am hoping now more than ever tunnel could help.. but I think a lot is psychological- I think I'll start another thread, but if you have any insight on that, feel free to PM or post in the other thread :) Thanks!!

Blue Skies, stay safe all!!
robyn