lintern

Florida - where to jump

Me and my girlfriend are going to Orlando for the first 2 weeks in September.

Where are the best places to jump ?

Is it Deland, Sebastian and Z-Hills ?

I went to these dropzones a few years ago.

What's Lake Wales like - I have never been this one ?

We want somewhere that will have lots of lifts and people to jump with.

We have a 3 year old daughter so have to take it in turns to jump.

All fine places to jump...for the most part.
Lake Wales or Titusville are a waste of time from what we're all hearing. The planes are always in Titusville, primarily for tandem operations. The fun jumpers they had are finding new dz's.
I've heard Deland is having long waits on loads, so maybe they're busy.
Sebastian is always fun.
Z-hills is the place to be. ;)

Maybe check everyone's websites to see if they're having some fun event as well.

Have a good trip!
B|

DeLand was down to just using the Pac last weekend because the Skyvan broke down up north and they sent the Otter for backup. But, I heard that there should be two planes back and flying by next weekend. There are usually a lot of kids running around there and there's a fenced in playground for the young 'uns right by the landing area.

IMO, DeLand, Sebastian, Z-hills and Palatka are worth hitting.

Also, let me know if you want some info on cool, natural springs to go to for cheap and refreshing family fun. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I would recommend Deland. They are friendly and I never have a problem getting on a load. Also great for kids.
I went to Z Hills last fall and and was treated rather poorly. Actually I found the staff quite Rude. Normally I would have let it go, but I'm in business myself and feel an owner should know about this kind of thing. I even wrote to the owner "TK" about my experience (twice) and it was ignored. I also personally handed him a copy of the letter when I saw him at another airport. Not a great way to run a business, but I heard that TK has some serious problems that I won't mention here.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I would recommend Deland. They are friendly and I never have a problem getting on a load. Also great for kids.

I went to Z Hills last fall and and was treated rather poorly. Actually I found the staff quite Rude. Normally I would have let it go, but I'm in business myself and feel an owner should know about this kind of thing. I even wrote to the owner "TK" about my experience (twice) and it was ignored. I also personally handed him a copy of the letter when I saw him at another airport. Not a great way to run a business, but I heard that TK has some serious problems that I won't mention here.

WOW, that shocks me. :o My experience is totally the opposite. Actually if Z-Hills were to ever close, I don't know if I would continue skydiving.
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

What I was referring to was more of an incident and it only involved a couple of staff members, so I really shouldn't judge the entire staff. When landing on my first jump at Z Hills, I went out at 5K by myself to familiarize myself with the DZ. When landing, I chose a spot just north of your swoop pond. The winds were out of the north in the air and on the previous load they were very light but favored the North. However they dissipated at the time of my landing and when I landed I did my usual “no wind” slide to a stop. No problem, I have done it a thousand times before as a bad ankle doesn’t allow me to run it out in no wind.

Anyway, I was immediately greeted by a staff member with another one observing. I don’t know his name, but he came up to me and pointed to the “limp” wind indicator which was facing a bit to the west. He said “that is a wind indicator” and I must land into the wind when landing. He went on to explain winds and why we must land into them and I should never do “That” again.
I had several experience jumpers come up to me at the same time and tell me he was out of line, and I should have told him to piss-off. But I explained to them that I wanted to keep the peace for the students sake.
Normally I would have jumped right back at him and told him to mind his own business, but there were tandem students around and I didn’t want to argue in front of them. It would have made them uncomfortable and they need as much nicety as possible. If I did respond, I would have made that staff member look like a real ass. Again, something that students don’t need to hear.

He did not know what he was talking about.. he was simply looking at a limp wind sock and had no business giving me directions or instructions on how to land a parachute. Especially when the jumpers on load #1 and 2 landed in every direction on the compass.
They only reason I can think of is that he wanted to look big or like someone in authority in front of the spectators, students and others.

First Experience, pretty bad. I will never go back there again. The real pity is that TK never responded. Not the way to run a business.

Mike Fischer
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Mike, It is a shame that you let one incident destroy your chances of having a good time at one of the most friendly DZ's in the country. Just about anyone can arrive at Z-Hills and get on a fun load with organizers that are not paid, but enjoy what they are doing to make all guests feel at home. You do not have to pay politics at Z-Hills to have a good time in the air.

Maybe you should just suck it up and give it another try. The season at Z Hills will get into full swing around the end of September, 2-3 Otters will always be available and no one sits on the ground! We have great packers, a concession stand, a gear store and lots of load organizers....
Dano

What I was referring to was more of an incident and it only involved a couple of staff members, so I really shouldn't judge the entire staff. When landing on my first jump at Z Hills, I went out at 5K by myself to familiarize myself with the DZ. When landing, I chose a spot just north of your swoop pond. The winds were out of the north in the air and on the previous load they were very light but favored the North. However they dissipated at the time of my landing and when I landed I did my usual “no wind” slide to a stop. No problem, I have done it a thousand times before as a bad ankle doesn’t allow me to run it out in no wind.

Anyway, I was immediately greeted by a staff member with another one observing. I don’t know his name, but he came up to me and pointed to the “limp” wind indicator which was facing a bit to the west. He said “that is a wind indicator” and I must land into the wind when landing. He went on to explain winds and why we must land into them and I should never do “That” again.
I had several experience jumpers come up to me at the same time and tell me he was out of line, and I should have told him to piss-off. But I explained to them that I wanted to keep the peace for the students sake.
Normally I would have jumped right back at him and told him to mind his own business, but there were tandem students around and I didn’t want to argue in front of them. It would have made them uncomfortable and they need as much nicety as possible. If I did respond, I would have made that staff member look like a real ass. Again, something that students don’t need to hear.

He did not know what he was talking about.. he was simply looking at a limp wind sock and had no business giving me directions or instructions on how to land a parachute. Especially when the jumpers on load #1 and 2 landed in every direction on the compass.
They only reason I can think of is that he wanted to look big or like someone in authority in front of the spectators, students and others.

First Experience, pretty bad. I will never go back there again. The real pity is that TK never responded. Not the way to run a business.

Mike Fischer

I also think it is ashame that you will let this one incident destroy your view of a great dropzone. IMO, I don't even think it was that big of a deal honestly! If you didn't nothing wrong, then you shouldn't mind because it doesn't matter. Maybe the instructor was coming to talk to you about the landing BECAUSE the other load before you landed every which way and they were starting at that point forward to be on top of people for the rest of the day. (and they very well should if that was the case!) I doubt that instructor meant any harm, and I have never once been approached by an instructor there with an attitude about anything. If an attitude was the case, then maybe this person was having a bad day.

**Edited to add for the OP: Sebastian is pretty good with nice scenery, but I LOVE Z-Hills. I moved from FL two years ago and the thing I miss most is the tunnel and Zhills. Love the staff, love the atmosphere, and love the layout of the airport and the outs that are around it.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

I'm sorry you are letting this one silly incident tarnish your views of a wonderful DZ.
I agree with the lovely previous post that maybe we were trying to get everyone to start landing in the same direction. On low wind days when we have people "chasing the sock" it's downright dangerous at times. We try to establish a common landing direction. I trust that you simply crossed paths with an instructor at just such a time. To TK, trying to get someone to land in the right direction was most likely seen as the proper response from his staff.
I would also say that landing at either end of the swoop pond is not a good choice for a place to land, more so if you're unknown to the staff.
Come give us another shot, We're not that mean.
usually.:P

Jumping into the discussion here, Z-hills is a fun place to jump. I did half a season there before going off to Lake Wales (which, sadly, is probably doomed now to be another tandem only place) to find some small way fun. I am yet to go to Deland, even though it is closer to me than Z-Hills. Only one jump at sebatian on a weekday, seems like a fun DZ.

Can anybody elaborate on the RW fun jumper scene at Deland? I think i'm off to find a new home soon.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

Deland is a great place to jump. They do have tandems but I never have a problem getting on a load. They are considered the Skydiving Capital of Europe in the Winter and never waited more than a load or 2 even when its busy. Like most DZ's, you are family. Come join us.

Mike Fischer

Thanks for everyones replies.

Im thinking of giving lake wales a miss then from peoples opions on here.

Looking at the review of Lake Wales on DZ.com, it sounds nice and is close to Orlando where we are staying, but it also sounds like a tandem factory.

Me and my girlfriend freefly so we want a friendly DZ where there will be other people to jump with, as we will have to take it in turns to jump.

People in the UK have given me the impression that Deland is mainly flat flyers - is this true ?

We are also trying to work out the best time to visit - weekdays or weekends ?

I get the impression during the week most places will be very quiet.

Not forgetting that we will be taking it in turns to jump and pack, so there needs to be a reasonable number of lifts for us both to get a few jumps in.

PLENTY of freeflyers in Deland my friend. message me before you come . I will introduce you to the local freeflyers =). You won't have a problem finding someone to freefly with...Also the first Sunday of every month we have track and field day. Atmonauti tracking jumps organized by Micah Couch and company. Always good fun.
You'll have no problem getting on loads during the week.....but we definitely fly more on the weekends.. Saturdays when we are flying two planes you won't be waiting too long. Fun jumpers are never bumped off a load for tandems. Plenty of toys all over the place for the kids and the fenced in play area...it's a family DZ.
Please come out and see us we'd love to have you.

I think Deland probably puts up the most loads during the week There are definitely more belly fliers than freefliers there but there are usually freefliers on most loads. Sebastian might be a good place to go on a weekend to find more freefliers.

Now that Lake Wales has new owners, I've heard that it is geared more to tandems the same as Titusville is (same owners).
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Now that Lake Wales has new owners, I've heard that it is geared more to tandems the same as Titusville is (same owners).

Yes, I am aware of all of the "issues" that they have in Titusville when it comes to fun jumpers. But, I went there this past Sunday, and there were 13 fun jumpers there. They were making room for all of us. I got on 3 of the loads without having to wait more than 2 loads. Yes, they want to get as many tandems up as possible, that's where the money is at. But I have never shown up on a weekend where I have not been able to get on a load or two with or around the tandems. If there is enough fun jumpers, they will try to do full tandem and full fun jumper loads to accommodate everyone.
This brings me to Lake Wales. The new owners are aware of the reputation they have in Titusville, and are not trying to have it in Lake Wales. You will hopefully see some changes as they are working on getting a different plane out there to make enough room for everyone.
--
Andy Ussach
Team Dirty Sanchez Ex-Vice President #38
Explosivo Rodriguez #1385, Muff Brother #3503, "Woody" Hellfish #646

FYI - Lake Wales is still fun jumper friendly. Went yesterday to pick up my rig and stuck around for a great day of fun jumps (thanks gang :)

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

Lake Wales is still fun jumper friendly. I am staff there and we would love to have many fun jumpers. our king air goes to 15000 feet every load in 8 minutes for only $25, we also go to 18000' for only $27. We will be getting a king air 200 soon, it holds 22 people. right now we only have staff to take 4 tandems at a time, so that leaves plenty of room for fun jumpers, so spread the word, come jump. We start at 9am