steve1

Becoming a Tandem Master

FAA medical
USPA Coach rating
D licence
500 jumps (I think they all have to be ram air) and at least 3 years in sport.
Tandem rating course, these are held at most major DZ's a few times a year. Or most TE will teach smaller classes for a larger fee.
I think a few jumps solo under the tandem rig, a few jumps with a C or higher licence holder, then your check off dives with your evaluator.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I just got my strong rating. I've had a great time so far with 20 or so live students. It cost me about $800 bucks by the time you figure in jumps and all. The instructor focused on exiting stable right away so that you can deploy the drogue as soon as is safely possible. There's nothing like sharing in the exitement of a first time jump student- good times.

Make sure you get your rating for the right reasons. One wrong reason would be to do it just so you could take an occasional family member or girlfriend on a dive. To be a good tandem master being current is very important. Being motivated by earning money jumping is actually a good reason, since this will ensure that you would probably prefer to do a tandem than another type of jump. It can be very rewarding if you do decide to go for it. Good luck!

The requirements involve a certification course which is manufacturer specific, Class III FAA medical certificate, 500 - 750 jumps depending on which manufaturer rating you get, 3 years in the sport minumum I think, and a cutaway though this might have changed too.

Food... or rent, at 20-25 a jump then take out 40% taxes since you are an independent contractor, with no medical insurance.You are averaging about 12-15 a jump in end money, figure that unless you live in FL, Cali, Tx, southern states your season is 6 good months then 2-3 so so ones. Figure 10 jumps a day per weekend and 3 or 4 during the week, at 25 jumps a week you are making 500 a week minues the amount you need to save for taxes, so about 360 a week times about 25 to 30 jumpable weeks a year. About 10800 after saving for taxes for 9-10 months work. Now that roughly 11k has to buy your food, rent in a trailer or place, all the things you need to live for a year and stuff. Also plan on paying medical bills since a student that does'nt put their legs up can make for a very bad next week.

Doing 20+ tandems a week is'nt going to be done at most 182 DZ's your looking at a turbine factory, and then one of the majors if you want to turn that many weekday loads with all the other TM's in the rotation too.

All thats provided that you are a full time, live on/next to the DZ TM. Smarter move is to be a TM/AFF-I/Rigger and you can work year round almost and work on rainy days too.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Just the Strong stuff for now, USPA rating to follow soon. I'd say get them both at the same time if you can- the previously mentioned requirements are almost identical, it's just a little extra book work.

You do NOT have to have an actual cutaway to get a strong rating. I did have one, however (extreme crew not recommended).:P

Having seen a few Sigma tandem rigs -I'd say they're the best, I wish we used them at my DZ.