Cashmanimal

SPRING BREAK!!

So my first spring break as a college student is coming up, and I have a few questions for everybody, to which the answers will greatly enhance my experience.

Quick summary of the trip: I currently attend San Jose State University, and skydive at Hollister mainly, but also at Davis occasionally. My friend and I will be getting in his car and day one will be a drive from Sacramento to Chico (party). Day 2, from Chico to Portland. Day 3, Portland to Seattle. Day 4 Seattle to somewhere, anywhere in Canada, because everybody ends up in Canada at some point in their life, even on a drunk bet. Day 5 back to Seattle, Day 6 down to Chico again, day 7 back in San Francisco.

Now, my questions for everybody: WHERE AM I GONNA SKYDIVE ALONG THE WAY??

I did the dropzone locator, but it gives me waaay too many results. I don't wanna think I'm gonna go make some jumps and when I pull up have it be a guy in overalls laying in a lawn chair half drunk with a plane that may or may not work. Not that that would be TOO different than a lot of dropzones... but, you get it, haha. I wanna jump with some new people, get some extended experience!

So, between San Francisco and Canada, what are the places I NEED to jump, in your opinions?

Lodi is a given... already made plans to stop there. But mainly I am curious about the upper west--coast.

Thanks for your help!
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Spring break time can mean *really* iffy weather up in the northwest. If you want to be able to jump for sure, you're better off heading south. Lots of the northwest DZs are weekends only this time of year, too, so if you're counting on being able to jump all the time ... you may be disappointed. [:/]

DZs that I've jumped at that I can comment on (there's others around, too) ... Skydive Oregon is not far off the freeway near Portland, Oregon. Great DZ. Not sure what the hours are this time of year for Kapowsin (southeast of Seattle). Northwest Skydivers north of Seattle is closed for the season. Snohomish is open, weekends only, I believe. And Pacific Skydivers in Pitt Meadows up in the Vancouver area is a really cool, friendly DZ (but don't forget your metric altimeter;)). No idea about their schedule. Oregon and Kapowsin have Otters, Snohomish has a Caravan, and I believe Pitt Meadows has a King Air, so those would be the larger-scale DZs along your route. If you're willing to go a bit off course, Richland Skysports in eastern WA is a cool bunch of folks.

But if your goal is to jump your ass off in the spring (or jump at all), your best bet may be to head south, hit the DZs along the way in Central California, swing by Elsinore, Perris, and Skydive San Diego, then head out to Eloy and back up to NorCal. We could have beautiful weather up here in the Northwest, but I wouldn't bet my spring break on it. :|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Day 2 Chico to Portland. Skydive Oregon is about 40 miles south of Portland just off I-5. You can get directions and hours on their website. Eugene Skydivers is about 80 miles further south in Creswell. Again website for directions. Skydive Oregon has a caravan and twin otter. And the perple at Eugene Skydivers are some of the best I have ever met in the sport. You may have to get an early star since both are closer to the end of your second day. Good luck

Ah, all good stuff to know! Thanks for that bit of input.

I had actually not even considered operation hours... I have been so spoiled here with jumping 7 days a week!

The trip is not really so much for the skydiving, or anything really specific. I just wanted to pack up and go somewhere without concrete plans, see where the winds take us, experience things I never have before. Skydiving was just gonna be a major, major bonus for me, haha. Really a chance to be able to sit around at boogies and such and say "yeah, I made A jump there!"

About jumping in Canada: I am not fluent in French. In fact, the only french I know is from the song Lady marmolade, so... I guess if I recognize any french while i am there, good news for me! Although, I am fluent in hand signals. Hopefully that will be enough to make a couple successful jumps there.... you crazy Canada-nadians
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Psst. The DZ he gave you a link to is on the other side of Canada. Yeah, the signs are bilingual throughout the country, but I don't think French gets spoken much on the western side (where I presume you'll be given that you have a limited amount of time).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Psst. The DZ he gave you a link to is on the other side of Canada. Yeah, the signs are bilingual throughout the country, but I don't think French gets spoken much on the western side (where I presume you'll be given that you have a limited amount of time).

shhhhhh... you weren't supposed to say anything ! ;)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Great dropzones all over B.C. Vancouver has 2. Pitt Meadows with a King air, and Abbotsford with a Potter. Both have great views of the mountains. Further east you have one in Kamloops, and one in Vernon. Both are awsome cessna dropzones with great peeps. mostly only go to 10000 ft at those 2. If you are a hardcore freeflyer I would hit Abbotsford. If bellyflying is your thing there is world class flyers in Kamloops. May 18th to 21 there is an awsome boogy there. There will be a king air a twin otter, and a couple of helis. Vernon and Pitt Meadows are kind of a mix of belly and freeflyers. Vernon is home forr me and definatly has the best view of the 4. It is in a beautiful valley right between 2 lakes!!! We just got a second plane there so there will be alot of loads this year. Hope to see you there.

http://www.skyflyerz.com/about.php

http://www.vancouver-skydiving.bc.ca/

http://www.skydiveadventures.ca/

http://www.skydivekamloops.org/

Blue Skys
www.okanaganskydive.com

that's awesome!

I actually thought about the logistics of doing some bandit jumps. I think it would be pretty fun! But that's for another thread, which I'm sure has been created many, many times.

are there any 'legendary' places near this route? such as Eloy, Lodi status....