billstap

Z-Hills and Lake Wales

hey all, so let me try this again, i am going to be visiting Z-hills and lake wales, i was wondering if anyone had any info, suggestions, things to look for, etc. at these places as i have never been, also i am new to the sport and am going to be attending my first boogie, therefore any insight is welcome, has anyone ever heard of or been to the stpatricks day boogie in lake wales, i have been searchin for info on it -- but nothing. my apologies if i waisted anyones time on posting a pointless poll before, i really dont know how these things work, for all i know i did this one wrong as well,
blue skies
billy;)

both places will have load organizers. I strongly recommend you stick to small groups and make sure everyone is open and honest about their skill level. Trust me, you really don't want to be on a 20-way like some of the boogie 20-ways I've seen and been on.

You can make some great friends, and some great dives if you get hooked up with a small group with a leader that knows how to organize for a varied skill set.

It can get harsh at boogies, and you can get kicked out of groups if you mess up. A suitable group, with a good organizer can tolerate some mistakes and use them as learning experiences for everyone in the group.

In my old age I have come to much prefer smaller groups at boogies. Easier to organize, easier to get some nice dives in where everyone gets to fly a lot on each jump.

Do not hesitate to do 2 and 3 ways! Generally, at your experience level, I'd say stick with 5-ways and smaller, but I don't know you, and it is certainly possible that you could be on bigger stuff and everyone have a good time.

The biggest danger I see at boogies is usually a quiet person that everyone assumes can perform in their assigned slot. Don't confuse a burning desire to do well with the skill to do well. Going out 10th in a 10-way speed star would probably be fun to anticipate, but it would likely be dangerous. YMMV. Enjoy!!! Be safe!!!!

Be prepared to land out!! I have done so many times at Lake Wales and Z-Hills. Don't say "I think I can make it back" you must KNOW that you can land safely somewhere. Know the winds, know that swamp can look like nice solid ground from 1000 feet,

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I second Darkwing's advice and would emphasize,

FWIW:
While both DZs are really great, for your jump numbers I would recommend Z-hills over L. Wales simply because of the outs available.

Both landing areas are huge but you're in the swamp (usually) at L.Wales if you miss the LZ. Parts of the swamp can be a pain in the ass with all the water, mud and briars. Z-hills outs are 99% pastures.

Oh, and please, please don't be one of those a-holes who lie about skills and jump numbers just to get on a jump with others...please, for your own safety as well as mine.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

thank you very much this is the information i am looking for, i def am not a fan of the whole swamp thing, and i have never been in anything larger then a 5 way, thats all the cessnas i have been in can hold, and believe me i will not lie about my experience level, this is a dangerous sport i have chosen and i respect its dangers and would not do anything that would increase this level, i would be more interested in finding a couple people to fly with maybe some that can help me with my free flyin skills, do you think i should then do two stays at zhills or will i be ok at lake wales, cheers
blue skies!!!
billy:)

thanx very much --- i am gettin so damn excited about this trip, between my new rig i will be pickin up, going to what seems one of the best DZ's around and makin a bunch of jumps i dont know what to be more excited about, i think i am driving my gf nuts, well no i mean i know i am driving her nuts, but neways cant wait to get there and my name is bill stapleton and i am sure i will be makin my way around every where there so i can soak in as much as possible, cheers
blue skies!!!
billly:)