UPS

Cuba Dropzone?

I'm Going to Cuba this winter to stress out from school and I just saw there was a DZ in Varadero, where I'll be staying. So I'm saying to myself, hey lets do some jumps cuz you're 6 months without skydiving cuz of winter. :(

But, I don't have my own parachute. So I was wondering if it was safe to jump one from their DZ. Knowing they can't import stuff, do they still jump round parachutes??? B|

Anyone went to this particular Dz and what where your impressions?

thx

I had a friend who jumped there last year . . . kinda shady . . .

No they don't jump rounds, there are some highly skilled skydivers in cuba, but their regulations are a bit more relaxed, so I wouldn't particularily trust rental gear. I would work on borrowing a friends rig to jump down there.

But hey, what would be more thrilling than jumping a rig you don't trust . . . main and reserve . . . it might add to your adrenaline rush ??:o:o:S:S
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

It is easy for Cubans to import gear from Europe ... and most Western European-made gear is now covered by JTSO or ETSO, so it is built to the same technical standards as American-made gear.

As for the US government embargo on Cuba???
Hah!
Mexican and Brazilian and Canadian companies have been helping Cubans circumvent that embargo for decades.

cool thing they dont jump rounds anymore, but I'd like to have more info on their security levels, and maybe can someone tell me if there was any fatalities over there due to bad equipement, or bad maintenance???

There's a dropzone out there (called Via Blanca I think) in Varadero. The guys there are great, plus all the kits good- I've been jumping a Javlein Odessey 260 of theirs, spot on. The only down side is it's a tandem factory, and needs at least 2 to get their Antonov 2 (an experience in itself!!) flown in- it's not their a/c. You'll do maybe 2 or 3 a day if you're lucky and you've got the time- it's all a bit slow! Saying that, it's better than not jumping, and I landed on the beach next to our hotel for the first time yesterday which was pretty good. Call Lazaro at the centre on 667256 and he'll fill you in. The dropzone finder on this site needs updating, as this centre seems to come and go on it! Go there and you'll have a laugh- I'll write a review when I get round to it! hope that helps