hineshpatel

Aerograd Kolomna

Myself and a bunch of friends are heading out to Russia this weekend for a 2 week skydiving trip. We're staying at Aerograd Kolomna and wanted views, opinions and advise for our escapades.... Russian phrases, things to do; things not to do and suggestions for places to stay in Moscow city centre most welcome.

Let the banter commence ;) ...

about 18 of us from hinton-ish heading out on friday / saturday for 2 weeks. shop rocks if you can communicate with the locals.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

ps - kempinski hotel in moscow is great but not cheap (cost me $1400 dollars a night for a suite in 2002). right next to red square. and can cost a shed load of dosh for a taxi.. been asked for $200 for a five minute taxi ride in moscow. top tip = look like a local or have one with u

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

It is a great DZ but there is pretty much nothing to do in Kolomna and surrounds if you are not jumping. Therefore take DVD's, books, PSP etc. just in case the weather goes south.

I would recommend going for the upgraded room in Hotel kolomna (if that is where you are staying) as it is less like a Romanian orphanage and only go in the lift one by one unless you wish to spend 30 minutes in the dark in a lift with no one who speaks English on the end of the crackly intercom.

In Moscow I would recommend going to Cafe Pushkin for dinner - is is moderately pricey but very good. We also went to a Banya which was a good laugh and very Russian but not recomended for the shy. It is kind of a sauna, swimming pool, birch beating place for blokes. Sounds odd but was pretty chilled out and relaxing

I would honestly say that unless you are a real keen tourist 3 days in Moscow may be too much - We managed the main sights in a day and still had time to visit some more salubrious places.

The hotel we stayed in was $100 for a twin room but I am damned if I can remember the name - give me some time and I will find it for you.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

Try the Izmailovo hotel. These are a block of several hotels near the Izmailovsky Park metro station. They are pretty cheap and they will register your visa for you. There is plenty to do in Moscow. I suggest buying a Lonely Planet guide book. That book has a host of information including useful phrases. If you are really curious buy a map of Moscow called the Atlas. They are issued by year and list every street AND every single building/house address on the map in the city. It is in Russian but is extremely useful. I learned to use it in a day. Also, get more than one ride on your metro card. The metro is the way the go in Moscow. The have many lines. I am sure there are Russian skydivers that will chime in.

Be a little careful. Chechen Rebels set a bomb off near the Tverskya Metro station a little while ago. If I remember correctly it was in an underground tunnel crossing Tverskya ulitsa.. This is a popular tourist area near Red Square. So be mindful. Have a good trip. Also, the police will sometimes ask to see your papers. If you need to register your visa (I am not sure if British citizens need a visa) and you did not they will/can either try to extort money from you and make you pay a fine (bribe) or they can actually take you in. If you are not terribly out of date just say in a real loud voice in English that you want to speak to the British Consulate. The American and British Embassies are very aware of the Russian police doing this. The police should back off. However, I suggest if you need to register your visa (in a city for three days or more) then you should do it. It will save you the hassle in the long run. First time in Russia = Piva (beer)

Check out www.unclepasha.com for cheap and interesting places to stay in Moscow!!

I hear the DZ now has hot showers and real bathrooms... :P I camped at the DZ and had a blast. Check out Plasma, be prepared to drink lots of vodka and eat at the Pizza place in Kolomna most nights (it's that or McDonalds!!!)

PS... Watch out for taxi drivers who are drunk or trying to rip you off and don't carry too much cash.

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!

I have taken my rig on BA on long haul and short haul flights. I put it in a normal size upright and just wheel it on the plane. No problems and no questions. I only had to check it in once on a flight from Paris to London because they decided to weigh it. They said it was too heavy for the overhead cabin.

You load money onto an account there, at the end of the day i would make sure your account reads zero.

On the last day i was there they tried to tell me that i had been on a load that morning, which i hadnt and wanted to charge me for it. Sometimes their manifest system may not be 100% accurate.