Mostly_Harmless

Weekday Jumping: X-keys v The Ranch

Alright so next week is spring break for my school. This is good news except that I still have to work (got to school and work full time). I would like to take 1-2 days off and go jumping. I already have Friday off due to it being good friday so my choices will be either take Monday off or Monday/Tuesday off. I am just trying to figure out which of these two dropzones will most likely be putting up planes during these days. I am trying to avoid sitting on the ground doing nothing. Any help would be appeciated.

Yonatan, You work there dude...that is kinda bias. Besides, I think you just want people to look at your new jumpsuit as you walk by. So, don't listen to him. Listen to me...Crosskeys is the wiser decision imo.

Statistically more safe. Theoretically more jumps. Factually better landing area. Politically a better decision. Functionally better packing area. Empirically in your best interest. Opinionatedly more fun. Just a little further for you though. Blues -Dave

Thanks guys. Question though, does any of these two dropzones have the facility to do water training for your B license. I am trying to find a place to do it so that I can get my license. Also is there any place to stay around the Ranch hotel wise? I am also interested in a little bit of FF coaching.

Disclaimer: I work at CK... B|

Anyway, as soon as we refill the swimming pool (located right next to the volleyball court) we'll start doing water training if anybody wants to jump in the freezing water with a rig on. Since returning to operating 7 days a week, we've been flying many loads on every weekday when the winds were less than ridiculous!

Come on a Wednesday to take advantage of our discounted jump tickets (Wednesday April 12 we'll be organizing night jumps as well if there is enough interest) and the CK1 Freefly School is open every day for FF coaching!

CYA there,

Pancake

Thank Pancake and skymama (just PM'ed him). Alright so I think I now know where I will be going. I just hope the weather will cooperate. Its really tough to tell what it's going to do in April. Are winds normally a probably at x-keys. I don't mind a stiff wind as long as its steady and not very turbulent.

Are winds normally a probably at x-keys. I don't mind a stiff wind as long as its steady and not very turbulent.

i'm guessing you mean are winds normally a problem. generally at x-keys winds are not a problem, but just like every other dz in the world we do have days when you wouldn't want to jump out of an airplane even if it was on fire. today is one of them(gusts to 40 mph). that is probably why pancake mentioned ridiculous winds. if you haven't been to x-keys before, ask for one of the instructors to show you spots, outs, landing pattern, and the beer line. any one of us would be happy to help you.

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin

David, Please provide source of information or withdraw the very serious claim.

Since you are not accepting pm's, I'll have to answer your pm here...

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Vertifly is welcome to express his opinion just as you are welcome to refute it as long as everyone involved follows the forum rules. I'll point out that he is not making this claim as a representitive of the dropzone, it's just his opinion.

This is the internet and most people should know to take everything with a grain of salt. In addition, it is also helpful to go to the dropzone locator at the top of the page and to read the reviews that have been written.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

If you have a problem with what I say then have the gonads to pm me and debate away. Otherwise, show us what you got.

Publicly you stated "Statistically more safe"
Publicly I asked you to state your source or withdraw your claim.
There's no debate to be had, either you have a reputable source, or you are stating an opinion.

P.S Apoliogies to Yonatan, my mistake. Post edited.

i hate to be vague on this answer, but the answer is: as soon as possible. it is in any skydivers best interest to put their ticket in as quickly as they can if they want to jump(no matter what dz you are at).

do not give Liz the opportunity to announce, "we are manifesting for load one", instead, you should give her the opportunity to say, "load one you are on a twenty minute call".

x-keys is currently open at 10:00 am on weekdays, and 9:00 am on weekends.

blue stuff,
p.j.

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin

Sorry to cut in but I agree with vertifly.
I did my aff & spent 1 season at the ranch.
I that DZO is one crazy bastard.
I have seen him unplug the wind meter so aff students would not see they were jumping in over 15mph winds. I have seen many people at the ranch smoking pot & drinking then getting on loads.
I now jump a x-keys & sussex.

This is what I have seen and I choose not to return to that dropzone.
I meet up with many people who still jump at the ranch & they say it has gotten better.
I am sure people are doing these things on very dz it is up to you. So just be as safe as you can.

Look, guys...I really don't want this thread to get into a pissing match. I haven't been to either dz yet and don't have an opinion, so no one should think I am biased one way or the other. The warnings are for everyone to follow.

All dropzones have good AND bad things about them, there is no perfect dropzone. Let's also remember that the original question was concerning which dz was the best to go to during the weekdays and focus on that.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

There's no debate to be had, either you have a reputable source, or you are stating an opinion.

Hmmm....reputable source. How about that everytime I am in a conversation about the place, it ALWAYS ends up with some scary story about what goes on there. I've been jumping in NJ for 10 years and have been to the ranch like twice - and just cause of boogies and to try it out.

No skin man, it is cool. Just don't get hurt and use your own head to make decisions.

When I get in a discussion about Crosskeys, it ALWAYS ends up on a light note, with a fun reminescent story about good times. That other place has a completely different agenda. You want a reputable source, talk to 90% of the people who consider safety their top priority, and then bring up the dz in the same conversation and see where they lead it. Be my guest.

I have seen many of the things you have seen, at the Ranch and at many different Dropzones, including CK.
It is not my intention to bash or trumpet one DZ over another, I simply asked Vertifly to provide the source of his "Statistics".

P.S. Yes, Billy Richards is a crazy bastard: He's on medication and it appears to be working.

I have seen many of the things you have seen, at the Ranch and at many different Dropzones, including CK.
It is not my intention to bash or trumpet one DZ over another, I simply asked Vertifly to provide the source of his "Statistics".

P.S. Yes, Billy Richards is a crazy bastard: He's on medication and it appears to be working

Good to hear he is doing something about it.