Punky_Monkey

Recommend a DZ in Indianapolis?

Here's the dealo...Been out of the sport for a while got scared shitless to jump? Not sure why? Still am but I can't stand looking at the sky and knowing I was there and want to be there. So decided to bite the big one and give it another try this summer.:)
I have moved to Indianapolis, Indiana and am looking for a DZ that has patient instructors or an instructor who has already dealt with this situation or will not be to fustrated to try to deal with it.

Can anyone reccomed a DZ for me?

Thanks!!!
Punky Monkey
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them how to fly in formation

... looking for a DZ that has patient instructors or an instructor who has already dealt with this situation or will not be to fustrated to try to deal with it.

For what it's worth, there is probably not a dropzone out there that has not dealt with this. You have joined a big club. Don't feel alone.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I know there is a dropzone up by Purdue area (not sure how far from Indy that is).... also, Skydive Wayne County is in Richmond, IN. which is a little over an hour from Indy www.skydiverichmond.com

Like others have said, I think most instructors have had a first time/returning student who has been freaked out :) GOOD LUCK!

~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

ck out www.skydivegreensburg.com. the dz is about 70 mi from indy but they have a good staff and a caravan or an otter (usually). haven't jumped at jumpindy yet (-they are opening this summer-) but everyone tells me they will have some good planes there too. def. wait until it warms up-there are a couple of places open now but they are cessna dz's and won't help your confidence level much-if you go to g-burg ask Phil to help you out-he will keep you feeling safe.
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

Maybe I just read your post wrong but you said small plane operation dropzones won't build your confidence? If your jump numbers are right you have a long why to go to talk about how small aircraft are not as good as a confidence builder as large ones. I'm just guessing here but you jump at greensburg and all you have jumped is big aircraft. THere is plenty to learn and just as much or more confidence can be build at a small aircraft DZ. YOu do not have to have a big airplane to get great results in your skydive.. If you look at the history of this sport not to long ago all there was to jump at your local DZ was small Aircraft, and us skydivers had to travel to big boogies to jump the big airplanes. The problem with today is that all these students are coming up in this sport are brought up that if the DZ has not got a big aircraft then it will not be as fun of a place and that the people should go to a place that has this big aircraft..... Just jump a older smaller aircraft it is just as fun and can be just as much of a confidence builder...>:(

they are cessna dz's and won't help your confidence level much

Yeah, those World Team members who actually OWN dzs like that must not be very confident. :ph34r: Okay, really, what do you mean by that?

Because I started static line out of a Cessna, I had no clue that some people out there were actually afraid to do hop and pops at four grand. I had confidence in doing that, and others didn't. Learning at a small dz worked for me since I wasn't just a number, and I worked with just a few instructors, so they became familiar with my flying/flailing.

Learning at a big dz works for some. Learning at a small dz works for others. When I started out, I freaking loved freefall, but I was pretty much terrified all the time, and I was just a really crappy student. I would ask my instructors so many questions. (Instructors at smaller dzs tend to have more downtime in which to answer bizarre questions like the ones I had.) I really just couldn't do anything right, but I had quite a bit of guidance.

Everything has its pros and cons. You can't tell someone without really knowing them what will work best for them. If I would've started at a big dz, I'm not so sure if I would've stayed in the sport. Not everyone learns the same, and not everyone has the same needs. I needed a small dz which took a TON of extra time to help with my many deficiencies in the sport.

And, Ryan, I look forward to jumping with you this summer! I'll wear my bright pink suit just for you (I just like wearing it now since I always show up on camera...I'm a camera whore!)
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning