LittleOne

Driving to Picton from Sydney

I am going to be in Sydney for a while starting in mid-January and would like to head to Picton for starters.

About how far is Picton from Sydney? Is there anyone who would not mind sharing a ride? Of course, I will pay for gas and depreciation. I have never driven on the left side and so I am a bit reluctant to hire a car (plus, it gets really pricey).

Also, any other dz's I should check out?

thanks,
Arianna

I don't know about driving but I have done the train a few times.. it takes about an hour and a half. You take the train to Cambelltown station and then switch onto Southern Highlands line and get off at Picton. If you just ring up the DZ when you get there, someone will pick you up.

Another option that I have taken is hopping on the tandem bus. They have a bus that leaves from the city at 7am each morning to take tandems down and if you just ring up and ask, it's usually not a problem to hop on the bus. It takes about an hour. You have to call the evening before and it is subject to whether or not there are tandems going down & whether there is space - it usually isn't a problem but sometimes it could be.

Everyone at the DZ is incredibly helpful & nice and they will go out of their way to sort you out.

Hope this helps!

It's dead easy. You get on the M5 heading South (it's the highway to Canberra & Melbourne). After about 45-50 minutes, you take the Picton exit, and the dropzone is right there. Easy :)
Options for getting to the DZ:
  • As kirrz said, there's a train. 'Tis a pain, but doable.

• The dropzone runs a bus to the DZ every day. It leaves the City at 7am and is mainly for backpackers doing tandems. There may be a charge for this, though I'm not certain.

• Bum a lift. The easiest option, and the one I go for :P.

I'm going to be up in Queensland in early January, but if I'm back in town I'll help sort you out with a lift. PM me your schedule and we'll work something out.

The two other sports DZs close-ish to Sydney are Elderslie (Cessna) and Warnervale (10-seat turbine). Both are North of Sydney, though Warnervale is closer. I've only jumped once at Elderslie and never at Warnervale, so I'll refrain from further comment.

I drive down every weekend from central Sydney to Picton, so give me a shout if you need a lift....

-Oli
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

I put out a call for a lift from airport to Picton over Easter on the Sydney yahoo group (name escapes me - Dave might be able to help) and was overwhelmed with responses. I can't imagine you'll have too much trouble. :)

nothing to see here

Oh, and I find the concept of a tandem bus infinitely amusing.

oh i loved those bos rides. you'd always find passengers asleep, drooling all over themselves on the ride home (even though its less than an hour, i guess people are just tired after a day of jumping). i got some hilarious footage of that stuff :P

i always relied on the bus

Apart from all the time i drove you down there. how soon they forget....;)

who are you?????:P
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

i always relied on the bus

Apart from all the time i drove you down there. how soon they forget....;)

Hmmm Ditto!!

I even drove BGill's sorry arse down to Nagambie in Vic to go jumping...and then he tried to break the plane on us!!!
(This was the trip that Bobby earned his infamous 'Tailplane' nickname...)
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."