drenaline

Coach course

I know that USPA has a coach course for those wanting the rating but I have also heard that there is a Skydive U coach course so my question is which one is better? should I set a goal to get both certifications or only the USPA one? is it worth to get the skydive U one?

The USPA one is a must cause I want to someday in the future get my AFF-I.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

I know that USPA has a coach course for those wanting the rating but I have also heard that there is a Skydive U coach course so my question is which one is better? should I set a goal to get both certifications or only the USPA one? is it worth to get the skydive U one?

The USPA one is a must cause I want to someday in the future get my AFF-I.

SDU is the better course, and is honored by USPA. It costs more money and requires some jumps under a probationary program before you can call yourself a true SDU coach.

The USPA coach course is OK, and does a good job of preparing you to work with students under the supervision of an instructor. It is a good course, but if you can only take one, I'd suggest the SDU program

-Tom Buchanan
USPA Coach Course Director
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

That Skydive U rating won't count for anything if you don't already have a USPA instrutional rating. You must have at least a USPA coach ticket nowadays to attend the AFF course. Personally, you can have that S.U. junk. It won't make you a penny at most dropzones; only those with [laughing] official [/laughing] Skydive U franchises.

Pay for real ratings, then go to work.

Chuck
AFF/SL/TM/BM Instructor

Skydive U coaches can add the USPA rating pretty easily without having to take the course or anything.

Here's what the USPA website says:

If you are already a Skydive University Coach, you can obtain the USPA Coach Rating as follows: Take the USPA Coach Rating examination, complete the USPA Coach Proficiency Card (signed by a USPA Coach Course Director (who verifies the Skydive University rating), and mail a copy of the card into USPA along with the $25 rating fee.

The exam is really easy, and I think if you're a Skydive U coach you can complete the proficiency card probably without any extra jumps.

drenaline, the USPA coach course is as hard as the course director makes it. I know of at least one a friend took that was impossibly hard; the one I took was intense, but not too high-pressure.

To do the Skydive U course, you have to turn in video of a series of pretty difficult (to me, anyway) prequisite dives. Here's the link: www.skydiveu.com/flash/pretask.htm.
Skydiving is for cool people only

I am a Coach Course Director and as stated, if you have the SDU rating you can easily add the USPA rating. My only observation (I have a SDU rating) is that you need to spend some time learning the USPA program, but you will probably need to do that at the individual DZ anyway.

Todd

I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example.

That Skydive U rating won't count for anything if you don't already have a USPA instrutional rating. You must have at least a USPA coach ticket nowadays to attend the AFF course. Personally, you can have that S.U. junk. It won't make you a penny at most dropzones; only those with [laughing] official [/laughing] Skydive U franchises.

Pay for real ratings, then go to work.

Chuck
AFF/SL/TM/BM Instructor

It's my understanding that when you take the SDU coach rating course they set it up so you get the USPA rating too.

Call SDU for confirmation.

-tb
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

:ph34r:Just like choosing a canopy you must decide what you want to do with it. I am a SDU Coach, AFFI, and Coach Course Director. If you want the BEST training on how to become an Instructor, Go to SDU. But it is very demanding. Contact Rob via the web page and he will forward info on courses. It is the best prep for AFF if you are serious.

If you just want to fly with and observe students while you increase your skills and learn how to "teach" at your local DZ, go with the Coach Course
and work with your DZ's Instructors.
James 4:8

Here's my .02 on the coach courses. (I am a USPA coach) The USPA course teaches about working at the most basic instructional levels. Those students that are off AFF but have not earned thier A's. The SDU course seems (at least from what I've been able to read and talk to Rob about) to include teaching skills that are beyond those required for an A. That being said, you must make a decision about what level you want to teach. If you intend to teach AFF, then the USPA rating is needed. (You must subsequently decide if you want the SDU rating as well) If you want to teach RW to more advanced jumpers, then the SDU rating will probably be better for you . Just a thought.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I've read what others have said about the difference between the USPA Coach Course and the SDU course. I am not an SDU coach, but I am a Course Director for the Coach Course. I agree that it's what you want to do with the rating. You want to get your AFFI? Then get every rating you can. Start with the Coach Course, see how you feel about working with people who basically don't know how to fly yet and are need to learn the basics about canopy flight, how to make a safe skydive with another person in the air, etc. If this bores you, then you won't much enjoy teaching AFF. Some people love to help others through the narrow doorway into the skydiving world, others love to help skydivers learn to get better.

They are two different worlds, and each world needs to be populated with conscientious coaches.

DJan

:)Coaches are now considered instructional ratings, however we have a very poor training program to prep people to be coaches. The SDU program does teach how to coach through proper training, application, and even more important teaches the coach how to "evaluate" the student. Both on the ground and in the air.
Look for a "hybrid" course soon through USPA.
Blues,
J.E.

Look for a "hybrid" course soon through USPA

Yeah, I've really kept my head to the rail about what Rob is doing right now. Thus I'm getting SDU jumps in now, so in a few months, when the changes come out with the new SIMS, I'll be able to step up and qualify for the higher levels.B|

This change will be very good for the sport, as long as DZs actually impliment it, if they don't, they won't be doing their students justice.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've had the chance to observe both programs and been a USPA Coach Evaluator. From that observation, the SDU Coach program is more prepratory for AFF/I. As with anything, you'll get as much out of either as you're willing to commit to your own sense of professionalism.

I "think" there is a mental "assignment of value" in going to the SDU Coach course. If you know you're going to spend more and there is a greater opportunity to "flunk" you'll probably vest more in yourself trying to prepare for it.

A side benefit is if you receive the SDU Coach rating, you'll get the USPA Coach rating.

Whichever program you choose, find a mentor and work yourself hard. Don't just be a "Coach," be the Coach that folks ask for.

:)Sneak up north from that red mud state and we can visit about Skydive U. It is not a precourse for AFF.
I went through the SDU program as a student When Rob kicked it off in Eloy 1993. As an ATP with CFIMEI it struck me as the most organized method of teaching people to fly that existed. In 1995 I went through the Coach Course and have been active with SDU every since ( hence the e-mail name). It is designed to teach new skydivers how to fly and coaches how to teach and evaluate.
As a Coach Course Director I know both programs and there is no comparison. USPA is trying however, they fell short, with the exceptions of some very fine JM/Coach/Instructors out there who really care.
If you go through SDU you have to care and want to teach or you would not go to the trouble.
Blues,
J.E.
www.freefallexpress.com

Sneak up north from that red mud state and we can visit about Skydive U.

J.E.,

I was up there two weeks ago. The King-Air is here this weekend (weather-permitting). But I'm "thinking" I'll be up there next weekend since I'm chasing that thing to support it - we can visit then.