drdive

Heading for FL

I will be in Melbourne/Palm Bay area for a week in April for some family business, helping my Dad. It is close to Sebastian, and I was hoping to get a few jumps in while there. I just got my A, have done some jumping in Lake Wales this winter, and was wondering what Sebastion would be like for a newbie.
Any suggestions on special hazards or problems there? Are they newbie friendly?

Thanks,

Ed in Spokane
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

I just finished AFF and my A jumps at Sebastian. They have mostly new gear (javelins) ranging from a 170 - 260. Landing area was a bit rough last week (busted water main flooded the landing area) but its still very navigateable. Expect to do some walking or you can ride the van out to the plane as the airport has dug up the taxi way in front of the hanger. Last monday they got up something like 12 loads (not bad for a weekday).

They're pretty newb friendly. It really depends on who's visiting. I did a bunch of jumps with some folks visiting from the UK and had a ton of fun... but if they weren't there I would have probably been doing lots of solos.

They've got a tent up for packing now and there's also the main hanger. The restaurant is open again too. You'll have fun. I love the view at Sebastian, miss it already.

Jen
Arianna Frances

Thanks Jen, and Mark. Sounds like a great place. I will be there mid week, April 11-15, so was glad to see they get loads up then. I was debating hauling my rig vs renting - I use a Jav too, what kind of mains do they have on their rentals?

Ed
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

Good point. I have just never travelled with the gear on an airline and am a little nervous about the TSA. I know there is a lot of info on DZ about it though.

Ed

"

Good point. I have just never travelled with the gear on an airline and am a little nervous about the TSA. I know there is a lot of info on DZ about it though.

You could always ship the rig to your dad beforehand.

Ed

Dont be worried about traveling with your rig, the TSA has come a long way when it comes to rigs, I've travelled alot with mine both within the united states and to Japan. I took it with me as carry on luggage. They spend more time looking through my camera gear and at my helmet than they did checking out my rig. Bring your gear with you I think you'll be fine.

Definitely bring your gear instead of renting. You'll save so much more money for jumps! I love Sebastian and recommend you check it out for sure.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I jumped there new years day with 25 jumps. Very easy to get into. Wind changed S to E, adjusted approach and landed with plenty of room. Any questions should be directed to the DZ S&TA or an Instructor.

BTW beautiful view from 15k

Salsa

"You did what?!?!"

MUFF #3722, TDSM #72, Orfun #26, Nachos Rodriguez

Bring your rig with you, just make sure to bring the TSA and USPA letter regarding traveling with a rig. Also a cyprus card is nice ..I've traveled with my rig 3 times now and its never slowed me down a bit. I've never had to show any of the paper work but its always better safe than sorry ya know......oh yeah Sebastian rocks ...awesome view...

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

Thanks everybody, I can't wait to get there. Will bring my rig. It's still cold up here, and hard to find people willing to jump in the cold.

Blue skies,

Ed

"

No trouble traveling with your rig, you'll see after your first trip. RENTING IS FOR THE BIRDS IN ALL ARENA'S!!!!

Sebastian is a fun little place for sure.....despite it being a bit "tore up" due to construction stuff, I'm betting you'll be happy to have some jumps in your log book from there ;)

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...