skymom2

Questions on Drop Zones in Alabama

I am moving soon to the Birmingham area and there are two DZ's that I am aware of there. The is Skydive Alabama (located in Cullman) and there is Alabama Skydiving Center in Pell City. Does anybody know anything about these two DZ's and does anyone have any advice about which is better suited to do AFF training? I've researched them both and I know that to a large extent it will be based on my preference, but I was just wondering if anyone had any imput. Thanks!

The journey of life is not to arrive at the grave in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways, totally worn out, screaming "Holy Crap!" what a ride!

hi skymom!

i live in the b'ham area. pell city is my home; been to cullman, it's nice there however i believe our facilities are a bit nicer; heaters for winters and AC for the summer. we'll have a king air this summer; instructors are phenominal (certifications out the wazoo)...3 on a regular basis, sometimes 5-6, so getting a slot should not be a problem.

huge landing area, plenty of rental equipment...great vibe! we've more than doubled in our # of fun jumpers since Aug, 04 -- come out, make a jump and join us for dinner @ Sammies Touch & Go (down the runway)...would love to have ya! Also check out our forums @ alskydiving.com

blues baby!

nichole
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PMS#269
Team Dirty Sanchez#41

Awesome...thanks for the info. Pell City is closer so I was leaning that way anyway. I am VERY excited to get to Bham and save enough money to start my AFF training. Maybe I will see you soon....

The journey of life is not to arrive at the grave in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways, totally worn out, screaming "Holy Crap!" what a ride!

Yeah I live in Auburn now, but I there is a big possibility that we will be moving to B'ham soon. That's why I wanted to check these out....

I moved from Birmingham last spring (I now live in one of the world's best spots for my parachuting thing, so I can't complain).

I jumped (a little) at both Pell City and Cullman. I have a slight preference for Cullman, mostly on "vibe" things. I liked the parties at Cullman, and the relaxed attitude. Pell City seemed a fair bit younger and more eager to jump (so, which you prefer will depend on your personal desires). Maybe I'm just an old fogey who can't get motivated to make more than a couple skydives in a day (or maybe airplanes just kind of scare me).

There's also the whole ASC political thing, if you care about that (personally, I don't, but I know some people avoid Pell City for that reason).

I think both are great places. I'd definitely recommend trying them both out (once you've finished your training, wherever you decide to do it).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I've just been to Cullman. Everyone was super nice. They jump a king air.

And they OWN it too! :P Curly, the DZO is a heck of a likable guy, always fun to be around. Pell City was my home for years, until the new owners went and screwed up the vibes (just my opinion), so I took my money to Cullman. The vibes are better up there, and their instructors are as good as anywhere else. The facilities at Pell City is a little better though, but what got me hooked at Cullman is the vibes... plus all my old friends go there instead of Pell City...

Wouldn't you just know it... I live less than 10 minutes from the Pell City DZ, and I'd rather go to Cullman... oh well...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That's a good idea. Maybe I'll call out there and ask him. I guess I will just have to go and check both places out to see where I feel like I most fit in. Since I am brand new to the sport, I am not sure if it really matters.

miss skymom:
~*~*~*~*~*~

i agree you must go to both places and get a feel. i've only been @ PC for approx 6 months...we're a younger DZ, both in age and in jump #'s. The previous owners come out & play w/us quite often; why just this past weekend, we made a beautiful girly jump!!:)

anyhow, visit both as you should. ~*~*~we can't wait to have you out!

blues baby!

nichole
PMS#269
Team Dirty Sanchez#41

Awesome....

So tell me about AFF....is it fun/scary/all of the above. I am so excited for when I am able to start. I have to say that I am a little scared thinking about it. Any advice?

Awesome....

So tell me about AFF....is it fun/scary/all of the above. I am so excited for when I am able to start. I have to say that I am a little scared thinking about it. Any advice?

Skymom2, It is all of the above. The scary factor can be kept in check by confidence in your instructors,equipment and your training. The fun part you will have no control over it's just FUN. Advice... Pay attention, listen only to your instructors and try to make your jumps as close together as possible. Most important and probably hardest is... relax relax relax. As for a little scared, good it keeps you alive. As far as Cullman or Pell city
visit Pell City then come to Cullman and we will teach you to skydive
;););)
David King

As far as Cullman or Pell city
visit Pell City then come to Cullman and we will teach you to skydive
;););)
David King

blues baby!

nic
PMS#269
Team Dirty Sanchez#41

Awesome....

As far as advice, I'll just say, have fun. Don't beat yourself up if you don't nail everything the first time. (I certainly haven't:)